Arizona County Supervisor Addresses The Medical Marijuana Dilemma

Jacob Redmond

In 2010, Arizona voters approved Proposition 203, a medical marijuana measure, by a small margin of 50.1 percent to 49.9 percent.

During the last eighteen months, the Pinal County Board of Supervisors has had the challenge of implementing provisions of this new medical marijuana law. This issue has been very controversial and has had its share of misinformation.

When it comes to growing, selling and using medical marijuana, the current environment is divided into two scenarios:

- Medical marijuana card holders and/or their caretakers are allowed to grow, process and use medical marijuana from a home-based facility

- Commercial medical marijuana facilities can be licensed, and must meet stringent design, security and oversight requirements

In Pinal County, there are approximately 2,500 medical marijuana cardholders. If a cardholder lives within a 25 mile radius of a dispensary, they are required to purchase the product from a dispensary. Of these 2,500 cardholders, less than 30 live outside the zone for a dispensary and are allowed to cultivate their own medical marijuana. I believe we have significantly reduced the proliferation of the substance in the county by allowing for commercial facilities.

As with any significant cultural change, we need to separate fact from fiction. To date, the major areas of misinformation I have encountered are as follows:

Fiction - If the Board of Supervisors would vote against creating medical marijuana dispensaries and grow facilities, "pot" could be kept out of Pinal County.

Fact - When voters approved the referendum in 2010, Arizona joined the list of states that made growing and using medical marijuana "legal." Even if the Board of Supervisors vote against allowing commercial medical marijuana facilities, thousands of individual cardholders and/or their caretakers can still legally grow and use pot. The advantage of approving commercial style facilities is that individual cardholders within a 25-mile radius must cease operating their individual home-based facilities.

Fiction - The Board of Supervisors approved a facility that will allow marijuana to be grown outdoors in the middle of a field enclosed by only a chain link fence.

Fact - This is inaccurate. Recently, the Board voted to change our zoning ordinance. We did not approve an outdoor grow site. A site may be submitted later, but it must meet or exceed all the requirements of the Arizona State law including a very rigorous security plan.

Fiction - Outdoor medical marijuana grow facilities are insecure. Thieves will break in and steal the marijuana plants.

Fact - There are many cases of home invasions and break-ins of home-based facilities that have put many people at risk. However, I have not been presented with one instance where a commercial outdoor grow facility has been broken into or where trespass has been committed. The farming community has expressed an interest in developing secure medical marijuana grow facilities. I believe professional farmers are a reliable choice for minimizing illegal activities associated with medical marijuana. In addition, I am committed to safeguarding their right to exercise private property rights.

When it comes to implementing the medical marijuana law, I believe the best strategy is to move with caution and control its expansion by promoting the use of commercial facilities over individual home-based situations. This is a grand experiment. As troubling as the medical marijuana issue is to me and many in the general public I believe there is a bigger danger lurking in the future. I hope you join me in actively fighting against recreational marijuana when it comes on the ballot in 2016.

Anthony Smith is the Pinal County supervisor for District 4.

30134.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Smith: The Medical Marijuana Dilemma | InMaricopa.com
Author: Anthony Smith
Photo Credit: Strawberry Fields MMJ
Website: City of Maricopa News, Business Directory, Classified Advertisements, Business Coupons | InMaricopa.com

Back
Top Bottom