Auto strains dummy and the right answers

super13star

420 Member
I am new to this website so please don't yell at me if i am doing this wrong please!.

I have been growing a while in the organic realm of outdoors where I find auto strains would be better suited. I guess I am confused and my knowledge of autos are biased and i am skeptical. They look funny to me but as of lately I've been seeing photos of off the hook auto strains..

I guess my questions are (besides the fact that they disobey light cycles) what are the differences between auto and non, and the benefits/disadvantage you had with growing them. Is it the same as a normal crop? Just look for the transition and start Bloom nutes?...

Now I'm even more confused! Haha :(

Hi and welcome. Unlike other places, no one here yells at anyone - its a very pleasant place to hang out.

Im growing autos outside because of a short grow season where I am. Photoperiod plants dont have time to finish properly.

Generally speaking autos will have a smaller yield but it is so dependant on growers skills, and equipment. The yields are quite acceptable given the other benefits.

In Oregon we never grew them but I've heard of that due to the end of year rain its easily avoided having autos.

So are they feminized? Nanner prone? Stress prone? I guess I don't fully understand the whole process of how they got to be this way because they disobey the laws of nature. Science is amazing.

Autos can be male and feminized are available.

The key to the speed is the ruderalis genetics - they come from cooler short season areas like Russia.

I dont recall seeing posts on here that suggests they are more nanner or stress prone than photos. There will be strain differences I imagine.

Seeing the other outdoor beauties you've grown you would be hard pressed to get an auto to perform that well. They are as noted hybridized with the ruderalis family which are naturally smaller sized plants. Not necessarily any more or less Hermie prone than any other hybrid.

Autos fit a niche that many growers find they need or desire. I grew outdoors throughout the late sixties,the seventies and early 1980's. Due to increased police atrocities, and raising a family ,etc. I stopped growing until about 2001. Indoor growing was difficult for me because of set up expenses, room to grow, lack of indoor experience. When I developed health issues and retired it was almost over for me, growing weed, that is. RA, and other issues pushed me to try it again with Autos, so I could get effective medicine that I could afford. About autoflowering plants is a big topic, but quickly let me say; they tend to finish quickly, allowing up to almost 4 harvest per year from the same space, with some strains. They do not have to be grown in light deprivation rooms/tents when grown indoors like regular photo period plants, as they are not hurt by stray light coming on them during a dark cycle. They tend to be compact and grow in low ceiling areas like short tents, without the lights being too close and causing scorching and you can grow them fairly close together, as well. Many famous strains are still very good quality with high THC, even after crossing with Ruderalis and the Fem producing process ! You can grow them to finish with fairly good results and quality even under only a few hundred watts of T5 flourescent lighting, that is cheap,fairly cool(as compared to HID). With HPS or good LED coverage you can get excellent results! So for many, these qualities make them a necessity and indeed highly prized! From a plant that grows only three feet tall (about average)and can mature easily three crops a year(or maybe four) I have harvested routinely from one to four ounces fully cured bud. When spaced closely I can grow up to12 plants in a 4ft'x4ft. tent and have harvested over two pounds. Multiply those results by three times per year and see why I like Auto plants! All this, while also producing 4-5 nice plants under only a T5 6 bulb fixture sitting over a work bench , as well! At first, I even grew them in a corner of my bed room with no problem! Easy indoors! Outside , I have little experience with them. I have been told some strains don't do well outdoors,but some do fine and offer compact growth and speedy maturity. If I could grow outside, I might stick primarily with photo plants for my main crop.

:rollit:I thought I would update a bit to mention, new strains of autos all the time! Many now are in veg a bit longer than the earlier varieties. This allows for somewhat larger plants in the finish and more time to get a topping or two in, before they show signs of flowering. (never top autos after signs of sex are clearly apparent!) Now , Four feet tall is not uncommon or sometimes even more, with some of the newer strains! A lot of variety to choose from! Still, light intrusions are not a problem. I have never had a "nanner" yet, from any strain I have grown! It is still a special niche type grow, but a niche that suits more and more growers, at least , like me, for a portion of their crop!:smokin:

Back
Top Bottom