Bathroom fans - Will they work with a carbon filter?

BarefootRunnr

I have yet to find a thread on this so hopefully this isn't a question that is asked often here.

I plan on venting a 4'x2'x3' grow box with a Nutone 110 CFM bathroom fan. Where I live the temps are low so I don't have to worry about heat and the T5 lights won't be giving off much heat.

My question is will the Nutone 110CFM fan work with those DIY carbon filters that will be attached to the Nutone fan? Will it stop air flow completely?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Bathroom fans - Will they work with a carbon filter??

From what I have been reading/hearing on the forums this doesnt work. You need a centrifugal fan or can fan to pull enough air through a carbon filter.

Thank you for your response :)

The thing is, I believe the majority of bathroom fans are centrifugal fans. Here is the one I was going to get:

https://www.nutone.com/PDF/Specifications/99044087.pdf

"Dynamically balanced centrifugal blower wheel for quiet, efficient performance".

The only reason I'm not getting a Vortex (unless I have to) is because of the noise. It needs to be somewhat quite. The Vortex fans are usually 4 sones or more. The ones I'm looking at are 0.7 and 0.8 sones. VERY quiet :)

I believe the majority of bathroom fans are centrifugal fans
"Dynamically balanced centrifugal blower wheel for quiet, efficient performance".

Awesome, then it sounds good. Standard CFM air movement calculation would be needed, and guy at my hydro store says half everything when you add a filter of the same diameter of the ducting you are using.

Awesome, then it sounds good. Standard CFM air movement calculation would be needed, and guy at my hydro store says half everything when you add a filter of the same diameter of the ducting you are using.

Sounds good! :thanks:

If it doesn't work out too well, then it will be a learning experience, just like everything else.

Hey guys,

I was hoping you guys could help me. I currently have a Broan-Nutone Bathroom Exhaust Fan which does 110 CFM, it exits the house to the outside. I need to create some sort of carbon filter and have it work with my bathroom exhaust fan. Does anyone have any pictures / plans for doing some that works?

Keep in mind bathroom CFM estimates are usually very exaggerated.
Also bathroom fans are not designed to have any back pressure, like a filter adds, while grow fans are. Even if the bath fan is really the same CFM as a grow fan , the grow fan (or industrial blower) will work with a filter much much better than a consumer level bathroom fan.

Bathroom fan bearings are not rated to run 24/7, they are only designed to run a few times a day when someone drops off stinky at the pool.

When you add it all up bathroom fans aren't really as good a bargain as they first appear.

Will they work? Yes. But imo you get better CFM, lifetime and less noise from a fan designed to do the work you want it to do.

I found a Dayton blower for a buddy of mind at a local "junk store" last year for $25. It was part of a non-functional furnace unit. They had it priced at $65 but it had been there a while at that price without selling. A little maintenance and a lot of cleaning and he ended up with a "fan" that will more than likely still be going strong long after he is gone.

Not exactly silent (lmao), but built to run at a much higher duty-cycle than any bathroom exhaust - and built like a tank.

And he turned right around and sold the rest of the package to a scrap-hauler for $20 without any effort, which made his actual cost for a heavy-duty blower $5 (and some elbow-grease).

I have a 2'x3'x5.5' cab and I'm using the cheaper bath fan from homedepot...70 or 75 cfm I think and I added a homemade scrubber outside the cab so the air gets pushed thru it and it seems to be working for me. my temps hover around 85 degrees and I also have a small 6" fan blowing air over tops of plants, and another 6" fan drawing air in from a 3" hole on the bottom of the cab

Back
Top Bottom