Bay Minette Man gets 30 Years for $20 Marijuana Sale

Stoner4Life

A Bay Minette man was ordered Thursday to serve 30 years in prison under the state's habitual offender act for selling $20 worth of marijuana.

Olander Barnes, 45, was convicted in April of unlawful distribution of a controlled substance for selling the drug to a police informant outside a Bay Minette car wash.

Barnes had a long history of dealing drugs, which stemmed as far back as the 1970s, said Assistant Baldwin County District Attorney David Horton.

"It's a good day for the citizens of Baldwin County because we take an individual who's known for selling drugs off the street and put him away for a long time," Horton said.

Because he had three prior felonies, Barnes qualified as a habitual offender and faced between 20 years and life in prison, Horton said.

"This is a guy who's had contact with law enforcement for (more than) 20 years," Horton said.

In the 1970s, Barnes had at least three drug convictions, the prosecutor said. He also had been convicted of a 1995 charge of breaking and entering a vehicle, another charge that same year of felony drug possession and a 1997 charge of unlawful distribution of a controlled substance, according to Horton. Alabama's habitual offender act was passed in 1980.

Between 1995 and 1999, Barnes faced almost a dozen other misdemeanor charges, including harassment, driving under the influence of alcohol, possession of drug paraphernalia and public intoxication, according to court records.

Horton said Barnes sold about a half-ounce of marijuana for $20 to an undercover agent outside Snappy car wash on D'Olive Street in Bay Minette in November 2004.

In April, a jury found that Barnes had sold the drug within three miles of a school and within three miles of a housing project.

Before sentencing Barnes, Baldwin County Circuit Court Judge Lang Floyd said he considered the proximity to the school and the housing project. And because of that, Floyd tacked on 10 years to a 20 year sentence.

"I'm bound by law to consider your felony record, and that sets it for me," Floyd said.

But Barnes' attorney, J. Clark Stankoski, said that his client hadn't been involved with drugs in several years.

The day of his arrest in November 2004, Stankoski said, Barnes had been lured into the drug deal by the informant, who awoke Barnes in the middle of the night, asking for marijuana.

"It seems like 30 years in this case was just grossly excessive, and that's not what the legislators intended," Stankoski said outside court.

Newshawk: Stoner4Life - 420 Magazine
Source: Mobile Register (AL)
Pubdate: Fri, 01 Sep 2006
Author: David Ferrara
Copyright: 2006 Mobile Register

I think the people in that area (where ever the fuck Bay Minette is) should raise hell.
It currently costs about $30,000.00/yr to incarcerate someone. 30 years x $30,000 = $900,000, almost a million bucks, over a $20 pot sale.

Add: I just sent an e-mail Letter To The Editor and also an e-mail to the writer of the piece. It's hard to believe that the state of Alabama doesn't have more important things to spend their money on.
I bet Mr. Barnes is black.

Good for you RD, for writing letters. I love to write letters, lol, so I think I'll write one too.

The south has a backasswards way of thinking on many issues. And this is just an example. I mean no disrespect to the good people of the south that are on this site. I lived there for 20 years, so I have a little experience. Living in a zero tolerence state, how much you have really doesnt matter when it comes to drugs, and many times, there is no mercy. It's tough in lots of states, but the bible belt, with all its righteous holy rollers, make it even harder. They put a lot of pressure on state and local governments on the issue of drugs.

But even more of the problem here is the habitual violator law. It doesn't matter if you stole a candy bar, three strikes and you are out. Maybe some judge would be compassionate, but most will throw the book at you. This law makes sense in a lot of crimes, but waking a guy up to solicit him, dragging him out of bed, and sending him to jail for 30 years is crazy, and outrageous. And of course, all this at the taxpayers expense.

20 bucks, huh? But the law is the law , right?:hmmmm:

Bay Minette, Alabama - population 8500. Doesn't seem like you couldn't get three miles away from anything in a town that size.

I found a site on the subject of mandatory laws in all states, if you are interested.
www.FAMM.org (Families Against Mandatory Minimums)

Certainly not DNA related this still would qualify as a potential case for 'The Innocence Project.' They also take cases where extreme punishment does not fit the crime, this one has Supreme Court written all over it. I can't possibly see where an informant working at the behest of authorities in acquiring the mj is not entrapment! And if I were the defendant I'd have the mj tested to see if it even had a THC level. At $20 a half ounce that hadda be some roadside hemp or very close to it........:hmmmm: :peace:

lets see

a $20 dollar bag of weed

30 years, at oh lets say about $30,000 dollars of tax payer money per year... so hey thats only about $900,000 dollars of taxpayer money we have to spend on a guy who sold a $20 dollar bag of weed, and let us not forget the money meanwhile we're losing cuz this guy should have been outside paying taxes those years also

hooraj for the justice system, another million dollars down the drain

Marek

he had been a drug dealer since the 70s. Im sure if the average joe were to get caught over a 20 bag he wouldnt get 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom