BC: And Then There Were Two - Grand Forks Had Second Cannabis Dispensary

Katelyn Baker

Not to be outdone by their sister cities in Nelson, which leads the area in pot shops, and Rossland, Grand Forks continues to go green with the recent addition of a second cannabis dispensary.

Herbivore Cannabis is located in Kocomo's Coffeehouse at 7361-2nd Street and opened December 1.

This "local craft cannabis boutique" exudes an air of class with simple but elegant decor and staff dressed in semi-formal white and black attire.

Owner Teresa Taylor started her business plan in October 2016, just prior to the federal election.

"I knew that there was a possibility of future legalization, so I thought... now is the time to get on this."

She is running the business herself, with help from one frontline staff and a team of behind-the scenes support people. Her father, a former mayor of Grand Forks, has been encouraging but not involved.

Brian Taylor was the first leader of the BC Marijuana Party in 2001.

"Kocomo's has been really helpful, gracious and welcoming," said Taylor. "I think it's a good fit for the both of us. We're envisioning a future of legalization that would include recreational use as well and the idea of social use spaces."

The coffeehouse model is popular in Europe, though Taylor says they want to keep traffic to patrons over the age of 19 years.

"I'm fairly comfortable with the idea of minors being in a space where there's cannabis, but we want to go gently and slowly."

Taylor pointed out that children could enter liquor stores, believing there's no need to restrict children from those place of business.

Taylor thinks it's important to have open dialogue with children.

Feedback from the community has been very positive, says Taylor.

"Many people came by to say hi and check it out, and it's been really, really welcoming."

She has not heard any negative comments.

"Maybe there's a little bit here and there, but I just say hey, you know there's another one in town, and often . . . they don't know that."

The commercial location of the new dispensary may be a factor in the acceptance by the community at large – the Kootenay's Medicine Tree met with some opposition when they first opened two years ago in a largely residential area.

Taylor said the RCMP is aware of the boutique.

"We met with them prior to opening and let them know that this is going on, and they said they would check with their head office, which is over in Nelson – and obviously Nelson has [dispensaries] – so we're fairly comfortable," Taylor explained.

"So long as we're acting in a socially responsible manner, it should be fine."

Taylor had discussions with the city as well.

"There are no municipal licenses in Grand Forks specifically for cannabis-related businesses. The other dispensary has, I believe, a general retail business license."

Taylor is attempting to source her products locally from a hundred mile radius.

"I'm really interested in regional producers and women entrepreneurs. There are a few high quality products that we carry that come from as far away as Vancouver Island, so there are exceptions but it's all made in BC."

Herbivore Cannabis offers a wide selection of flowers [raw cannabis], edibles, concentrates, and topicals. Both Kocomo's Coffee House and Herbivore boutique are open from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Monday to Friday, and from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays.

"We're going to look collectively at how we can work together, "said Taylor, looking at the possibility of doing members' social nights and special events.

Anyone interested in therapeutic cannabis is welcome to visit the boutique.

Capture251.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: And Then There Were Two - Grand Forks Had Second Cannabis Dispensary
Author: Michelle Croissant
Photo Credit: Michelle Croissant

Back
Top Bottom