Beacon St. Raid Trial Underway

Truth Seeker

The jury trial for Elisa Kappelmann, a medical marijuana grower facing felony possession and cultivation charges, began on Tuesday.

In May 2010, the Colorado Springs Police Department raided a warehouse on 3120 Beacon St.

Police said Kappelmann and five others used the warehouse to grow medical marijuana.

She wasn't charged until September 2010, four months later.

Police claim she and others did not show licensing documents to justify more than 100 pot plants.

"I provided legal document for them a week after I was raided. I'm innocent and I have all the paperwork to prove that," said Kappelmann.

Before the police raid, the city used a $7 million Homeland Security Counter Terrorism plane to fly surveillance over the warehouse and other grow operations in Colorado Springs, she said.

It was only after that was made public, that Kappelmann said she was arrested.

It's taken two years for a jury trial.

"I think they knew they didn't have a case and right now they are grasping at straws," she said.

Kappelmann was a corporate trainer for Hewlett Packard before becoming a medical marijuana grower. She invested her 401K because she was getting laid off, she said.

She was a grower and co-owner of Southern Colorado Medical Marijuana dispensary. She is now unemployed.
"I've lost my business because they (the city) won't license me because I'm guilty until proven innocent. It's been horrible. I have a clean record. I've never done anything in my life," she said.

Kappelmann believes District Attorney Dan May has his own personal agenda against medical marijuana and that this trial is a huge waste of taxpayer money.

"There's people out there who really need to be taken off the streets, dangerous people. I'm not one of those," she said.

The Colorado Springs Cannabis Council is supporting Kappelmann during the trial.

"I think it's really time they (District Attorney's Office) align with the policy the people voted on," said Jason Warf, who agrees that this trial is a waste of resources.

"That is money that could be spend on violent crimes as opposed to cannabis," he said.

The District Attorney's Office said it can not comment on pending cases.

The trial is expected to wrap up Friday.

marijuana_cuffs.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: krdo.com
Author: Samantha Anderson
Contact: Contact Us - KRDO.com - NEWSCHANNEL 13 ABC - Colorado Springs and Pueblo News, Weather and Sports
Website: Beacon St. Raid Trial Underway - News Story - KRDO Colorado Springs

Back
Top Bottom