Blumenauer Says He Thinks Oregon Will Legalize Pot Soon

The General

Washington has it. Colorado has it. Will Oregon be next state to legalize marijuana? Portland congressman Earl Blumenauer thinks it will happen soon. He spoke on Friday at the City Club of Portland Friday forum moderated by KGW's Laural Porter. Blumenauer said it's time for the federal government to let states make their own decisions. "I'm perfectly comfortable with Oregonians and people in Utah and Florida and Montana making their own decisions," Blumenauer said. "I don't think the federal government should interfere with the state in this regard." Laural asked, but the congressman said he's never used pot and has no intention to.

220px-Earlblumenauer.jpeg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Kgw.com
Author: KGW.com Staff
Website: Blumenauer says he thinks Oregon will legalize pot soon | kgw.com Portland

I appreciate his work BUT...

Within the bill, they are using a double standard. The 'limit' on the amount of personal dried cannabis is 4 ounces. Do we have limits on the amount of aspirin, vitamins, water, meat, frozen food or, the amount of alcohol we can have at home? No, that limit is reserved for a plant called cannabis. My neighbor, when he opens his garage door, never has less than 80 cases of Budweiser in there. He isn't a distributor, he's a guy that owns a bunch of nail salons. But, that's okay, even though he has more than his share of DUIs. Keep as much Budweiser as you want. And it should be that way.

While we're at it, flood TV with stupid beer ads, make alcoholism look fun. Along with tons of sickening pharmaceutical ads describing all the different side-effects you will get when taking them. When I see a medical marijuana ad during the Superbowl I will know that the struggle for equality is over but the struggle against corporate America co-opting what so many went to prison for, is in full-swing.

I find the bill insulting on many levels. But that's what happens when you involve soulless politicians and the governments they protect, to follow through on what The People actually want and need. Had Oregon's voters & cannabis advocates asked for decriminalization rather than legalization, it would be very, very different.

In Alaska, [and 8 other western states at that time, including Oregon] in the 70s and part of the 80s, cannabis was decriminalized. Each household could have 20 plants per household member. 4 people living at home? 80 plants. That's it. That was all of the rules & regulations for cannabis, at that time. 20 plants each.

How about rather than partnering with governments that, by the way, imprisoned, murdered, kidnapped people for growing a plant, we, tell them to DO WHAT WE TELL YOU TO DO.

Back
Top Bottom