Bryan Epis

Key West

<CENTER>Chronic pain patient, medical marijuana caregiver</CENTER>

<CENTER>Serving 10 years for conspiracy to cultivate marijuana.</CENTER>

Bryan Epis learned about the medical value of marijuana to treat his chronic pain after he was seriously injured in a car accident. When California voters overwhelmingly passed Prop 215 (Cal HS 11362.5), a law authorizing cultivation and possession of marijuana for patients and their caregivers, Brian Epis saw an opportunity to do a tremendous service. His dream was to create a legal medical marijuana dispensary that would be safe, accessible and affordable.

The US Supreme Court ruled in the US v. Oakland Cannabis Buyers Coop case that state law does not supercede federal law but federal law does not overturn state law, either. Rather than allow the will of the voters to take effect in California, however, the Bush administration has aggressively pursued patients and caregivers throughout the state. Epis was the first case to work its way through the federal courts. In order to increase the severity of the penalty, Ashcroft's office chose not only to charge Epis with the plants he was actually growing, but also with "conspiracy" to grow more than 1000 plants, which carries the same penalty as actually growing 1000 plants! The federal judge instructed the jury to disregard state law and vote to convict despite it, which they did. Epis was sentenced to 10 years for trying to help sick and dying people live with comfort and dignity, in accordance with the democratic will of the voters.

This is painfully cynical because Bush calls himself "compassionate" while the California law was entitled the "Compassionate Use Act of 1996" and the federal program that dispenses medical marijuana is called the "Compassionate Investigational New Drugs" program -- and during his campaign for president, Bush said the States should decide about medical marijuana. It makes sense for Bush to issue a presidential pardon for Mr. Epis as a gesture toward keeping his word.

Message from federal medical marijuana prisoner Bryan Epis: Please Help!

April 10, 2003 -- Please spend 5 minutes to write your U.S. House representative at www.house.gov and ask him/her to support a new bill introduced by Rep Sam Farr (D-Carmel), Lynn Woolsey (D-Petaluma) and Dana Rohrabacher (R- Huntington Beach), that will allow medical cannabis patients and caregivers to present a defense in federal court that they were following state and/or local medical marijuana laws. Please spend another 5 minutes of your time to write your two U.S. Senators urging them to introduce and/or support a similar bill in the Senate at www.sentate.gov.

I was sentenced to 10 years in federal prison for the "crime" of following California's medical marijuana law. Ed Rosenthal was recently convicted at trial and faces 40 years in federal prison. We were unable to present a defense that we were following the laws of California and/or local laws. If this bill is signed into law, we will get a new trial.

I've included two sample letters, one for your U.S. House Rep. and one for your two US Senators. Please modify them so they don't get a bunch of the sme exact letters. It is only fair that medical marijuana patients and caregivers get a fair trial, where we can present evidence that we followed state law. According to a CNN/Time poll, 87% of Americans support regulation by the states. Please let Congress know you want them to listen to you. Only with hyour help can this bill become law. Please help me and my family, Ed Rosenthal and his family, as well as thousands of other patients and caregivers following state and/or local laws, who are rapidly being incarcerated in federal prison for at least 5 years and up to life.

You can write me at: Political Prisoner, Bryan Epis, 09636-097, FCI Lompoc, 3600 Guard Rd, Lompoc CA 93436. I'll write back anyone who writes me. To read more about my case, please enter "Bryan Epis" on a search engine such as google.com. Thank you,

<CENTER>-- Bryan Epis

</CENTER>

Back
Top Bottom