Bud rot or Fungus

brooktrout

Hello everyone,
got a question for everyone. First of all this is a soil grow, white widow, 4th week of flowering. I moved 5 plants to the greenhouse, very humid and warm,very little air flow. Noticed that one of my plants had brown (looks like rot) on the top bud. I removed all plants from the greenhouse so they could get some airflow. I plucked the rotted part of the bud off. Is this a fungus that can spread to the other plants? Is it safe to place them with my indoor plants without contaminating the others? I have never had this problem before and don't know what to do. I don't want to risk the health of the other girls.
Thank you in advance!

Hey man, I've had that, happens a lot in the fall, especially with dense buds. Botrytis I believe it's called. You gotta clip of about 25-50% more bud than what was outwardly affected. Put that one plant away from the other plants and don't let it get wet. Keep watcing the other plants, check your buds to make sure they look healthy, if one looks wilty, or discoloured, the fungus is inside the bud. If possible get some wind on them, and if you have to leave them in the rain, go shake the buds afterward, to reduce moisture.

You can move them inside, but the mold isn't the only thing you're risking. Other bugs like spider mites, aphids and whitefly might hitch a ride into your room. So it's not recommended

Also, get the buds dry as fast as possible, because there will be a greater risk of your stuff going moldy in the bag or hanging. Watch for any discoloured buds when trimming, and pull them apart to see what's inside, if you suspect something. Remove all infected parts and burn them.

Don't worry, it's not the end, Powdery Mildew is the end, this is just superficial in comparison.

Thanks pal,
This problem has just happened within the last 24 hours so I hope I caught it in time.I will trim off more of that beautiful bud like you said. Do you think it's smart to move the other 4 indoors, sprayed them 2 weeks ago with Azamax due to a thrip problem. I just hate to leave them out due to the temp. at night, what do you think? Thanks again!

Most likely bud rot (Botryis). It can spread quickly throughout your grow. Get the RH down in the 40-50% range, plenty of air movement. Remove the affected bud an inch below the last sign of rot. An early sign is bud leaves that are starting to dry out on the bud, usually from the stem side, not the end. Also the leaf will pull out very easily. If you see that, cut an inch below that leaf.

You can treat with a spray to kill any mold that may still be present. You can make Bordeaux spray or take a look at one of the sponsors SNS's product line SNS 244 FUNGICIDE.

Airflow, and humidity control are your primary tools in controlling mold, mildew and fungal infections.

Thanks SteveHman,
The actual bud is not rotted but the bud leaves in one area are brown and still very moist and pull away very easy just like you said. Is it still necessary to cut off the entire colious, I will if need be, Thanks for your input!

Thanks SteveHman,
The actual bud is not rotted but the bud leaves in one area are brown and still very moist and pull away very easy just like you said. Is it still necessary to cut off the entire colious, I will if need be, Thanks for your input!
The early stages of bud rot can be hard to diagnose. If you have a small microscope or loupe, look into the bud at the stem. If you see anything that looks remotely like a spider web or grayish-brownish fuzz, cut that shit quick.

Can you post a pic of the affected leaf? Also if you have Cervantes' Grower's Bible look on page 369. If you don't have Cervantes' book, then order it NOW! It is invaluable for these things. My go-to on several instances.

Yeah man, George knows his plants, I got the book right beside me, can't wait to meet him.

I would say, greenhouse at night, but give good ventilation to lower the humidity, not too late in the day though, you want some warmth inside before sundown. A big, black container of water will absorb thermal energy in the daytime and release it at night, to keep your babies warm. Oh, and if you can, evaporate some sulphur in the greenhouse.

I strongly recommend against taking them into your growroom. The risk of all your plants getting pests or diseases is too high.
If you must take them inside for the dark period, just give them lots of airflow, and keep them away from the other plants, in another room.

And always wash your hands and tools, especially if you touch the affect plant(s).
Make sure you don't go from handling your outdoor plants to your growroom right away. Change your clothes, even have a shower man.

Cleanliness is key to health.

Thanks bro,
Just put a big fan in the greenhouse, got some major air flow. These plants will not be placed with the others, too much at stake. Cut bad part of plant out(very small) now it's a waiting game I guess. Thank you both for all your help, you guys rock! Let you know how I make out.

Back
Top Bottom