Budding stage: leaf discoloration

deejayz

I'm about a month and a half(give or take) into the budding stage of my first grow, and I'm having a problem.

The plant overall looks healthy, buds are forming nicely, just recently started getting my first orange hairs in addition to the white hairs.

The problem is that some of the fan leaves, in random locations throughout the plant are turning orangeish brown, starting at the tips, eventually leading to the entire leaf, and whats left is a brownish brittle leaf(obviously dead)

My question is what is the source of this problem. I don't have a pest problem, I've checked for spider mites, and aside from fruit flys theres no pests in the room.

My initial thought is it is nutrient deficiency. This is my first grow and we're on a limited budget, so I have not had money for any nutes at all.

I used MG soil, just because we couldn't find anything else around here - and I think that has time release nutrients.

If this nutrient deficiency are there any inexpensive options to rememdy this?

I've seen things like banana peels mentioned, I'm just hesitant to do anything on my own out of fear of making things worse.

My only other thought is it could be heat related - the room is poorly ventilated and I can't do anything about it, it is what it is. But I'm using all CFL's, and the room stays between 70-80 degrees so I wouldn't think that is a problem.

Any solutions you guys provide could you also please give clear methods of preparation and delivery, I'm very new to this and it should be assumed that I know nothing.

I tried to look over the nute thread but couldn't match up anything listed with what was available at my local home depot, and also couldn't make out what was good for budding vs vegetation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I look forward to your responses.

I'm also hesitant about posting pictures - I really would prefer not to. So unless completely necessary I'm going to avoid that.

Thanks again.

After some reading on this site, I've found a picture that looks exactly like what is happening.

1134nl-Phosphorous2.jpg

From the description in the pictorial it looks like my plant is undergoing phosphorous deficiency.

So now that I know what the problem is, what can I do to remedy it.

We have a few extra bucks, but we lack local organic grow shops around here so nutrients are hard to come by.

We're stuck with the garden section at home depot, so what would you recommend?

I am hesitant to change the soil - I'm afraid the plant won't live through it.

Seems I'm answering my own questions today, all within the same thread. Although this is actually going to require a response.

The problem pictorial thread says this about phosphorous deficiency:

Miracle grow Tomato plant food, Miracle grow All purpose plant food (Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients, or it will cause nutrient burn!)

This is actually one of the few things I was able to find in our local home depot.

I was wondering which would be better for bloom stage and this particular problem, tomato plant food or all purpose.

Hi, Im from the UK so am not entirely sure of home depot's range but i would suggest using liquid seaweed in conjunction with soil, it is phosphorus rich and relatively cheap (as well as being non canna-specific). As well as adding to your feed (if they are getting no nutes at all then by now theyll be dying for some) you can spray it onto the leaves which have a small uptake and helps recovery. To be honest though, at this stage I would remove all the badly effected fan leaves (I do this anyway) or cut the tips off to let the rest of it recover faster. You can expect the larger fan leaves to die towards the end of flowering anyway so dont go kicking yourself just yet, buy some liquid seaweed (or sulphate of potash apparently) and youll be ok for your next couple of grows.
All the Best
Greenadvocate

Yeah, Miracle grow should do the job also. with a non organic one though you definately want to flush your plants for there last week or so, leaving you very little time to feed them before harvest.

Thanks for the quick responses. I understand I have precious little time to feed them, just hoping the little time I do have will affect them significantly.

First grow so I was not prepared with everything I needed, but this next one I'm going to try and do everything that is recommended instead of just winging it with what little I have available.

After looking up the two miracle grow products

MG water soluble tomato food: 18/18/21(N/P/K)
MG water soluble all purpose: 24/8/16(N/P/K)

By these numbers I would guess I want the tomato food.

So I got the nutes, and applied them for the 1st time this morning.

Recommended dose is 1 tbsp per gallon of water. I followed the instructions about 1/2 strength to avoid nutrient burn, so I did a 1/2 a tbsp per gallon this morning.

How long do I need to observe this 1/2 strength formula, and how often should I add nutrients to my water?

It should be noted these are the first nutrients the plants have received(aside from time release in the MG soil) so they are probably craving the stuff.

I am very afraid of adding too much and further harming her.

Sticking to the 1/2 strength solution for the first water should be absolutely fine, the plants are plenty big enough to withstand the full strength solution, they should love it. Even if the soil you used has time release nutrients, I wouldnt expect them to last much beyond 5-6 weeks, you might aswell add nutes each time you water, get them as much as possible before you flush.

Back
Top Bottom