Buds drying way too quick!

Ace

Or at least I think they are. I've only had them in the closet for about 2.5 days but the buds already seem kinda crispy and I test smoked one and they're definitly smokable :smokin: The stems aren't at the point of snapping yet but they will be in a few days.

I think I know what I did wrong though. This is the way my closet is. To open it, you slide one of two mirrors. You push one all the way to the right and it closes half the closet, and then you push the one behind that all the way to the left to close the other half. Well when I first put my buds in there(hanging on clothes hanger) I left my half of the closet open by sliding my right door all the way to the left(sliding door for closet is 2.5'-3' wide, and a little over 6' tall, so that's the space that air could get in). This might have been over kill right there, since with my door open, my room gets pretty well ventilated. But I then procede to turn on not one, but two, pretty powerful fans(powerfull enough that with them both pointed at you at night, you get freezing. They're about 10-12" in diameter) blowing air around my room, and partially aimed at the closet.

I left it like that for a day. I then turned off the fans and closed my closet a little leaving about 1.25'-1.5' wide x ~6' tall slot for air to go through. This seemed to make them dry a little slower, but not slow enough. So now I have the closet completely closed with just the door open. So my questions are, 1)How much did I affect my final smoke by doing this
2) Is there anything you reccomend for me to do to help with the drying process?

I will be curing these buds for at least 2 weeks when they are completely dry fyi.

Thanks

Re: Buds drying way too quick!!!

I don't think it will be an issue as long as you're planning to cure it anyway.

But that's just my opinion, anyone else know?

endo is right...

if your stems do not break when u bend them...they should still be ok.. as soon as they crack when ya bend em' put them in a glass jar to cure and you should be fine

I have already put the buds into an airtight conatiner. The stems were slightly snapping when i bent them so i figured i might as well. I'm going to leave them in there for about 2 weeks and just pick out a few to smoke as I need them.

thanks for the help.

Make sure to open the container for 5 minutes every day THIS IS IMPORTANT.
If you smell a "musty" or dirty diaper odor, it means the buds were put into the jar too early.

In the future, try bag curing. That ensures a slow dry (makes the pot burn better) and jump-starts the curing process.

RangerDanger said:
Make sure to open the container for 5 minutes every day THIS IS IMPORTANT.
If you smell a "musty" or dirty diaper odor, it means the buds were put into the jar too early.

In the future, try bag curing. That ensures a slow dry (makes the pot burn better) and jump-starts the curing process.

AT LEAST 5 minutes. I like the bag method prior to the jars personally. Great minds think alike. LOL It pretty much eliminates the mold issue and having to burp the jars. Obviously you still want to keep a close eye on them until well cured. Then you can store them indefinately.

I have a question about the bag drying. I read ranger's thread on it, but what do you mean by "crimp" the bag? As in fold it over by 2-3" a few times at the top of the bag(hope that made sense), or just fold the top part of the bag in half? And do you just set it in a ventilated room afterwards?

Anyways, yes, I have been opening the containers for about 10 minutes every day so far. Usually I open it to take a small bud from there to smoke for the day and leave it open for a while and then store it back in a dark space.

"Crimp"--either fold the top 2" of the bag over several times or just crush and roll the top down a few inches, either way that closes the top of the bag.
THIS IS IMPORTANT: I have never heard of anyway getting mold bag drying, but then again I suppose it may be possible in a super-humid area.
There are area's of the U.S. that are so humid hang-drying doesn't work unless there's a de-humidifier in the drying room. If you live in an area like this be sure to have a de-humidifier going when you bag dry.

I think the only way it could happen is if you really overload the bag or don't mix it once in a while but I could be wrong.
I use a notebook clip on my paper bags of full of trim.
Another thing I do which might not be right, would have to check is I leave my jars open for like a hr or so and swirl the buds around a few times.

so the point with the paper bags is to try and make them airtight?

Paperbags absorbs moisture and transfer that moisture to the side which has the lowest humidity (outside the bag).
To control this moisture transfer you folder the top of the bag twice and clip it. That way the bud has time to dry slower and more evenly. This is like sealing the top but not quite that drastic.
If you left the top of the bag open the bud would dry top first then you would have uneven dry bud. If you try to can uneven bud you could get mold because one side might be too wet.
Sorry, very high right now.

Urdedpal said:
Paperbags absorbs moisture and transfer that moisture to the side which has the lowest humidity (outside the bag).
To control this moisture transfer you folder the top of the bag twice and clip it. That way the bud has time to dry slower and more evenly. This is like sealing the top but not quite that drastic.
If you left the top of the bag open the bud would dry top first then you would have uneven dry bud. If you try to can uneven bud you could get mold because one side might be too wet.
Ok, that makes sense. So just fold it over twice and put a clip on it. Does it really matter where the clip goes or do I just fold it over twice and just place the clip in the middle or wherever as long as it's mostly closed. Thanks guys, I'll make sure to do this next time.

Paper bags allow the moisture to escape...very slowly. just fold over the top a couple times. I don't feel a clip is needed...unless the bag is that full. :cheesygrinsmiley: IF you leave the top open, then you'll have to shake or turn over the bud to aid even drying. Every time it seems to be a little different so just be dilligent. :bongrip:

Man, now I'm really dissapointed. I didn't think the paper bag method was so simple. Do you think there would have been a big difference in my bud if i would have done it this way? the buds are still currently curing.

Well it's guaranteed that the slower you dry the better they'll taste and smoother they'll smoke. If you dry too fast the "green" taste stays with the finished product.

Don't forget to open the jars (or whatever) to let the needed oxygen for the curring process.

I recommend not filling the bag over 1/3 full, and that's pushing it.

I've been on sort of a 1-man crusade re:paper bag drying since, after trying all sorts of ways to dry, (hang-drying, screen drying, oven) a friend who had the most delightful buds told me his drying method.
Der Baron could coax more bud from his small closet space than anyone else I've seen before or since.
To me it's superior to hang drying (which come in second) for many reasons. It takes up less space, is WAY MORE stealth, more evenly dries the buds and last but more certainly not least jump-starts the curing process.

personally I don't put "fresh" buds in the bag. I hang them for a few days first, then into bags, then into jars. But separate bags for shade leaves, and sugar leaves...freshinto bags. Freeze them until you're ready to make some bubble or dry/cure them to cook with. there's lots of arguments about the fresh vs. dried for bubble...but that's a whole other story.

Urdedpal said:
I use papper bags before do not over lode it and every day you open it and move the bud around so to not have a wet spot in the ceter. I hang the plant to for a week before I put it into the bag !

Back
Top Bottom