Calcium carbonate vs Calcium nitrite in coco

Cwmoore577

I recently picked up some CALiMAGic from GH instead of the Cutting Edge Solutions brand I had been using. I tried to find some information on the differences and pros/cons of calcium carbonate vs the calcium nitrite.

The obvious is nitrite provides more nitrogen but I saw some forum posts claiming carbonate is more readily available and then people arguing the opposite is true. I'm in mid-grow with a couple beautiful plants about to switch into flower so I want to get any insight before using it.

My questions are..
I have a full res mixed with the cal nitrite based supplement, is it ok to add more with the carbonate based one or should I switch it out?

If there are differences in absorption, what is it and is it something to account for?

Im in coco/perlite mix too if that matters.

Any other notable info appreciated!!

Thanks!

I’m honestly not too sure on your absorption question but I’ve had issues in the past with a calmag deficiency. I then added calmag (botanicare, 2-0-0) to resolve and the addition of the extra nitrogen ended up shifting my NPK ratio off enough to lock out K creating a bigger issue. I’ve since started using TPS organic calmag which is derived from calcium carbonate but has no nitrogen. Some people will add pro-tekt (0-0-3) to a 2-0-0 calmag to balance the ratio.

I’m sure another more knowledgeable person will be along to help you out!

Calcium nitrate is taken up easily and quickly. It’s my most used hydroponic salt and you will see it in nutrient bottles everywhere. I can’t answer your other questions definitely enough to make it worth typing out. gL

I can't find a real answer. I have a bottle of general organics calmg+ (gh organic line) which uses calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate. It's very acidic even though it's cal carb the same thing as tums yes...but also your bones, egg shells,mollusk shells etc. I ph' d the solution to 6.5. Can I use this to buffer my coco?
Edit: the only mention of cal carb I can find regarding coco is as lime or a pH regulator. I know it's not very soluble but that's why it's chelated in an acidic mixture. Either way I got calmagic coming in the mail...guess I'll do a side by side.

I’m honestly not too sure on your absorption question but I’ve had issues in the past with a calmag deficiency. I then added calmag (botanicare, 2-0-0) to resolve and the addition of the extra nitrogen ended up shifting my NPK ratio off enough to lock out K creating a bigger issue. I’ve since started using TPS organic calmag which is derived from calcium carbonate but has no nitrogen. Some people will add pro-tekt (0-0-3) to a 2-0-0 calmag to balance the ratio.

I’m sure another more knowledgeable person will be along to help you out!
I have used the pro-tek with good results as silica is valuable and almost no nutes carry it. It must be added first to water and allowed to dissolve before adding the rest. I am impatient so only wait about 15 minutes but it should be more like a half hour. If you have vermiculite in a soilless mix you won't need silica.

I buffered my coco twice with camag+ which is calcium carbonate in hippy voodoo sauce now I'm gonna do it again with caliMagic which is calcium nitrate and magnesium nitrate. And after this run I'm going straight to bulk calcium nitrate (18$ 5 lbs,) and epsom salt(magnesium sulfate) like a boss. Disclaimer: Do not put seedlings in coco they hate it for some reason. Use peat pellets,rooters,or even potting soil then transplant when mature. And don't trust coco wash it and buffer it. Company s think buffering means pH ing. Wash it and soak in cal mag and then your on easy street. Don't be me.

I buffered my coco twice with camag+ which is calcium carbonate in hippy voodoo sauce now I'm gonna do it again with caliMagic which is calcium nitrate and magnesium nitrate. And after this run I'm going straight to bulk calcium nitrate (18$ 5 lbs,) and epsom salt(magnesium sulfate) like a boss. Disclaimer: Do not put seedlings in coco they hate it for some reason. Use peat pellets,rooters,or even potting soil then transplant when mature. And don't trust coco wash it and buffer it. Company s think buffering means pH ing. Wash it and soak in cal mag and then your on easy street. Don't be me.
You are right about seedlings not liking coco coir. It took me a long time to figure that out. I now use Happy Frog and no problems and then transplant to a soil-less mix when the solo cup is root-bound. I also use Epsom salt and bulk calcium nitrate as well as Jacks 1-2-3. I used coco coir for years but got tired of all the rinsing and buffering so now I use Dr. Bugbee's formula of Peat moss/vermiculite mix with a little lime and gypsum for ph. It seems to work just as well with lots less trouble.

Back
Top Bottom