Calexico CBP Officers Foil Attempt To Smuggle $2.3 Million In Marijuana

MedicalNeed

Calexico, Calif. — U. S. Customs and Border Protection officers at the Calexico East commercial truck facility prevented a tractor-trailer carrying medical supplies from smuggling more than 5,144 pounds of marijuana into the U.S.
Cellophane wrapped packages of marijuana concealed within a shipment of medical supplies.
Calexico East commercial truck facility CBP officers prevent more than 232 cellophane wrapped packages of marijuana with an estimated street value of $2,333,680 that were concealed within a shipment of medical supplies from entering the U. S.

On Aug. 17, at approximately 9:25 a.m. CBP officers were conducting pre-primary operations when a narcotic detector dog alerted to the trailer area of a semi-truck driven by a 40-year-old Mexican citizen.

The trailer was referred for a more intensive inspection, which revealed boxes commingled with the legitimate cargo. The boxes were determined to contain more than 232 cellophane wrapped packages of marijuana with an estimated street value of $2,333,680.

Cellophane wrapped packages of marijuana stacked beside a shipment of medical supplies.
Calexico East commercial truck facility CBP officers prevent more than 232 cellophane wrapped packages of marijuana with an estimated street value of $2,333,680 that were concealed within a shipment of medical supplies from entering the U. S.

According to Port Director Billy Whitford, smuggling attempts such as this one are just an example of the different ways organizations are trying to sneak drugs into the country.

"Trying to hide dangerous narcotics which cause harm within our communities in a shipment of medical supplies that are intended to help people really shows how desperate the criminal organizations have become," he said. "As the men and women of CBP continue to apply pressure to these organizations and strike big blows such as this, we weaken them."

The driver was arrested and turned over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement for prosecution; CBP seized the vehicle and narcotics.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Holtville Tribune · I.V. Weekly-Chronicle*|*News and happenings from the Imperial Valley, California
Contact: Holtville Tribune · I.V. Weekly-Chronicle*|* Contact Us
Copyright: 2010 Holtville Tribune · I.V. Weekly-Chronicle
Website:Calexico CBP Officers Foil Attempt to Smuggle $2.3 Million in Marijuana*|*Holtville Tribune · I.V. Weekly-Chronicle

Just Say No...

to Mexi-Brick?

:grinjoint:

I look forward to the day when leo will be nabbing Prozac/Oxycontin smugglers who sneak their evil drugs into our country by stashing it next to a legal shipment of imported medical weed.

-The article's author sure seems to like the word Cellophane.

Back
Top Bottom