California: Guadalupe Moves On Medical Marijuana

Robert Celt

Guadalupe's City Council voted in favor of prohibiting cultivation, processing and transport of medical marijuana and also moved to create an advisory committee on economic development at its meeting Tuesday.

Over several months, the council has worked to meet a March 1 deadline to establish city laws rather than allow the state governing bodies to regulate medical marijuana locally. The five members have been adamant about banning cultivation and processing, but have been split at times, including Tuesday night, on delivery.

"I have lamented over this for the past several weeks and I'm kind of changing my direction on not being fully against the transportation or the delivery system for medical marijuana," Councilman Jerry Beatty said. "If someone has the ability to take it because they have a care card and they're allowed to partake of it – I have a little bit more of a hard time understanding why they can't have it delivered to their doorstep if it's under secured packaging, and they sign for it, and it's under all the legal restrictions and requirements."

Ultimately, the council voted 3-2 in favor to meet the March 1 deadline, but will consider modifying the ordinance in regard to delivery after the deadline. Councilman Ariston Julian, Mayor John Lizalde and Councilwoman Virginia Ponce voted in favor, while Councilman Jerry Beatty abstained and Councilwoman Gina Rubalcaba voted no.

The council later, led by Councilman Ariston Julian, spoke with enthusiasm about economic development in the city and creating an advisory committee to look deeper into possibilities.

"We've seen little spurts of growth when it comes to the pharmacy, when it come to La Simpatia coming back in, even things like the Green Machine coming back," Julian said. "We see spurts of positiveness and we need more of that."

The council and city staff contend that one of the biggest issues with sluggish growth over the past several years is unhelpful zoning in the downtown area, but also city land and property owners being unwilling to support development.

"I've had, and I'm sure everyone else has had, members of the community ask, 'why aren't you guys doing anything about bringing businesses to downtown?' My answer is that we don't control the property owners," Rubalcaba said. "I just want to encourage property owners to take a more positive outlook on this."

City staff hope to fund a study of commercial and industrial zoning to find more creative ways to welcome developers. City Administrator Andrew Carter reflected on a time when a Dollar General store wanted to come to the city, but the size best suited for the company was two properties with different owners, and one owner did not want to sell.

"In order to grow this community you have to be able to let go of the past," Beatty said. "I see communities out there like Los Olivos, Los Alamos, Nipomo and Arroyo Grande that have revitalized their old downtown areas and they are thriving. We can do the same thing."

The new committee's first meeting will take place Saturday, Jan. 30, at 2 p.m. in the Guadalupe Senior Center (4545 10th Street) and all Guadalupe residents are welcome.

Guadalupe_City_Hall.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: California: Guadalupe Moves On Medical Marijuana
Author: Abby Hamblin
Photo Credit: Lompoc Record Staff

Back
Top Bottom