California Medical Marijuana Initiative Polls At Nearly 60%

420 Warrior

A medical marijuana initiative aiming at the November ballot found nearly 60% support in a poll conducted last week. The Probolsky Research poll reported that 34.5% of respondents would "definitely vote yes," 22.5% would "probably vote yes," and 2.3% were "leaning toward" a yes vote.That comes out to 59.8% saying they favor the initiative

[image:1 align:right]The initiative, the Medical Marijuana Regulation, Control, and Tax Act (MMRCTA) would impose comprehensive, statewide regulations on medical marijuana distribution. The act would create a state medical marijuana board, require all dispensaries and commercial cultivation operations to be licensed after July 1, 2013, and impose a 2.5% state medical marijuana sales tax. (For more detail on the initiative, see our recent feature article here.)

Only 23.6% of respondents would definitely vote no, with another 9.7% who would probably vote no, and an additional 2.0% who were leaning toward no, for a total "no" vote of 34.3%. Some 5.5% of respondents were either decisively uncertain or refused to answer.

The question respondents answered was directly about the MMRCTA: "The California Medical Marijuana Regulation Act may appear on the November ballot in California. It reads: 'Creates a state enforcement division to regulate and control all entities involved in the commercial cultivation, manufacture, distribution, and sale of medical marijuana in California; requires their mandatory registration with the state; and establishes a state excise tax of upon all medical marijuana grown for sale in California.' If the election were held today, would you vote Yes to approve or No to reject this initiative? And would you say that you would definitely vote [yes/no] or probably vote [yes/no]? If unsure, would you say that you lean one way or another?"

Only limited additional polling data is available at this point, but Probolsky did provide data on where support for the initiative was strongest: among Democrats (65.8%), unaffiliated voters (67.4%), foreign-born voters (67.5%), Asian voters (66.7%), and those who feel California is on the right track (68.4%). Democratic voters over age 55 are especially supportive at 70.0%.

The poll was conducted last week in English and Spanish using landline and cell phones. A total of 750 surveys were recorded, yielding a margin of error of +-3.7%.

The MMRTC campaign has a self-imposed goal of raising a million dollars by February 9 and estimates it could take twice that much for a successful signature-gathering campaign.

This poll should help push them toward that goal. The conventional wisdom is that initiatives need to be polling at 60% or above before the campaign begins, and MMRTC is very, very close.

cali-state-flag-281x130.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Hawaii News Daily
Author: Phillip Smith
Copyright: Copyright © 2012 Cannabis News.

so with that ssaid??? does that mean that the prices of meds will increase by 2.5%??? If you look at some of the pages from Weed maps dot com, you will see that most if not all of the shops say, "all taxes are included in the donation price". So does this mean they are going to tax it more than the normal 8.75% CA tax???

in my med prices, an 1/8th from the shop is $40, with a 2.5% increase... that brings it up $1???

:peacetwo:

so with that ssaid??? does that mean that the prices of meds will increase by 2.5%??? If you look at some of the pages from Weed maps dot com, you will see that most if not all of the shops say, "all taxes are included in the donation price". So does this mean they are going to tax it more than the normal 8.75% CA tax???

in my med prices, an 1/8th from the shop is $40, with a 2.5% increase... that brings it up $1???

:peacetwo:
No, not at all! It only means the tax rate on weed will go up. If it passes and huge and small commericial farms are allowed to cultivate acres upon acres of weed, the prices will plummet to historically record lows. But you can expect the price of lettuce, strawberries and tomatoes to go up as millions of acres of land are converted into marijuana fields. Now, if it were to happen countrywide, you could expect the price to be comparable or lower than a pack of cigarettes. It's a weed, it will grow just about anywhere, and it is 10 times easier to grow than agricultural crops. Rejoice my friend if it passes!

Law of supply and demand: As available supply is increased and demand is constant, prices will decrease.

Again... Though this would be a great step... it will not stop the Federal government from coming in and terrorizing people. We as a state do not have sovereignty anymore when the Feds can use tax dollars to come in and use terrorist tactics to violate state law and violate the laws put in place by citizens of California.

Do not think for one second that you will be safe if this passes.

Just a thought.

Again... Though this would be a great step... it will not stop the Federal government from coming in and terrorizing people. We as a state do not have sovereignty anymore when the Feds can use tax dollars to come in and use terrorist tactics to violate state law and violate the laws put in place by citizens of California.

Do not think for one second that you will be safe if this passes.

Just a thought.
Many people think it will [stop the feds terrorism] as do I. Especially, if CA and CO both pass initiatives legalizing marijuana in November. Maybe some slight blowback immediately after, but the fact is the government is completely bankrupt and they do not have the resources to raid every single farm and liquor store in CA and CO. It would also introduce one of the largest federal lobbying machines to our cause, the agriculture industry and many other lobbying interests associated, including unions. Other states will soon follow suit as well, through legislation once they see the massive amount of taxes and job creation. Pulling CA itself out of bankruptcy will open the eyes of many states facing the same perils. Once the dam finally breaks, the feds will bow out soon after.

Ohhh, but Al, I read your posts and I completely agree with you that getting it re-classified would be a wonderful way to decriminalize/legalize marijuana. I'm just at a loss as to how to achieve that goal, other than electing Ron Paul or Gary Johnson this November, Obama oviously is not going to do it. Thousands of peeps have petitioned the DEA and have all been turned down. Without majority support at the federal congressional level, I just don't know what else to do other than good ol' grass roots voter intiatives at the state level and then fight the feds with tooth and nail?

Things are progressively changing. Maybe not as fast as we would like. I have been in this a long time and regardless of are current situations, it is still better than ten years or twenty years ago. It continues to get better and that is why we need to try different things to help in any way we can. Is it not the 27 anniversary of Jack's EWNC 1st edition? If you were involved back then please remember what it was like. There is a great deal of work ahead but we have come along way.

.....I agree...there has been progress made....but with most things, people have to be dragged kicking and screaming....but no question things are better now than 10 years ago...especially in s.f. ca...

In 1996 when California passed Prop 215, only 25% of Americans supported adult cannabis use (non-medical). Now in 2012, we have doubled that support to at least 50%. We need to continue that effort whether it is supporting ASA, NORML and MPP or (at least in California) by supporting Regulate Marijuana Like Wine or the Medical Marijuana Regulation, Control and Tax Act of 2012 and others. We also need to contact our federal representatives to educate them on the issues.

I'm with you man....I certainly would like to see the model we have in the bay area expanded....I assume you're reasonably happy in santa clara county....?

I'm with you man....I certainly would like to see the model we have in the bay area expanded....I assume you're reasonably happy in santa clara county....?

I believe the Medical Marijuana Regulation Control and Tax Act is model some what off the San Francisco ordinance.

Back
Top Bottom