Cambridge Police Want To Ban Public Consumption Of Marijuana

MedicalNeed

A year after the state of Massachusetts passed a law to decriminalize the possession of an ounce or less of marijuana, the Cambridge Police Commissioner has proposed two ordinances that aim to ban public consumption of marijuana and to fine individuals who provide a false identity to a police officer when being issued a citation.

Violators of the proposed public consumption ordinance would be fined $300 for each offense, while violators of the false name or address ordinance would be subject to a fine of $200, in addition to the $100 state fine for possession.

Cambridge police say the ordinances are necessary to respond to what they say is a significant increase in public use of marijuana in the city. And they say it is challenging to control the problem armed only with the civil citations available since the state law changed.

A September 2010 report from the Cambridge Police Department found that the number of juveniles, under the age of 18, cited for possession of one ounce or less of the drug has gone up from five in 2009 to 13 by the end of August 2010. Additionally, the report states that "adult citations for 2010 are also on pace to surpass the number from last year," with 21 adults cited in 2009 and 15 adults cited by the end of August 2010.

The report uses the number of citations issued for possessing an ounce or less of marijuana since the new law was enacted in January 2009, as evidence to suggest an increase in marijuana usage in Cambridge. Opponents of these ordinances say that adding more fines won't stop the drug industry, nor will they change the popularity of using marijuana.

"[O]ur efforts to enact these ordinances in Cambridge are aimed at enforcing the fine associated with the law and dealing with quality of life issues that surround public consumption of marijuana," Dan Rivello, a police spokesman, said in an e-mail.

Rivello said police officers in Cambridge are having difficulty enforcing citations for possession of an ounce or less of marijuana. Police say that state law offers no legal recourse against an individual who refuses to give his or her name, or who provides a fake name and address.

"This is highly problematic for our officers in enforcing the new law as obtaining a verifiable name and address is essential in ensuring that offenders comply with the law and enforcing the civil fine," said Rivello.

But Michael Crawford, a Cambridge resident and President of MassCann: the Mass.Cannabis Reform Coalition, said the police need to have more scientific evidence and hard facts than those stated in the report to back up their claims that marijuana usage is becoming more of a problem in Cambridge.

"It seemed like the police were trying to make a political case," said Crawford, who attended the first public hearing.

Crawford said that he believes that if the ordinances go into effect, there will be little change in the number of citations issued.

"The only effect I think it will have will be that people may not know of the change in the fine and won't be able to pay it, resulting in a criminal offense," said Crawford.

Crawford said that he thinks the Cambridge Police are doing a good job cracking down on violence in the city, but that he does not feel the ordinances will do anything to change the behavior of marijuana users.

"I think the cops do care about the community and the kids in Cambridge," said Crawford. "I feel that we just have a difference of opinions."

Like Crawford, Cambridge City Councilor Denise Simmons said that the City Council needed more evidence of an increase in marijuana consumption before they could vote on the ordinances.

Simmons, who hosted the first public hearing on Oct. 21, said she hopes to use the next Public Safety Committee's hearing on marijuana as a way to educate the community on the current law and the fines associated with possession of the drug. The hearing, which has not yet been set for a date, will invite parents, youths, police officers and a local professor to discuss better ways the community can be educated about marijuana.

"I am hoping that this education awareness will provide better information so my colleagues and I can make a sound decision regarding the proposed ordinances," said Simmons.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed:420 MAGAZINE
Source:boston.com
Author: Shannon Young
Copyright: 2010 boston.com
Website:Cambridge police want to ban public consumption of marijuana - Cambridge - Your Town - Boston.com

Back
Top Bottom