Can I start seeds in FFOF soil

The Dawgg

I was wondering if I should buy a seed starter (Promix Seed Starter) to start my seeds in and then transplant to FFOF soil?
I was told by the growing store to buy Pro Mix Seed Starter instead of using FF to start as FF will burn the seedlings.
Is there a better way or should I listen to the store. I am going to start some White Widow or Northern Lights this time around.
I start by just putting the seed in the soil as I tend to forget them when I place them in a paper towel and they dry out. so I am just going to stick with what works for me but have questions about starting. Last time I tried mixing FFOF with Promix BX to half and half and it burned my plants or something went wrong around 3 weeks in as they died off. this is why i am reaching out to people with more experience
Thanks for your help in advance.

I do it all the time. Happy Frog was designed to be a lighter starter soil for seedlings, but there is no reason a plant can't start out in a rich soil like FFOF. Its like putting humidity domes on new seedlings... you can start out by coddling your plants and making them weak from the start, or you can allow them to immediately adjust to the conditions they find themselves in at birth.

I submit that in your earlier experience you did not burn your plants with the soil mix... you did something else wrong, like overwatering them, to cause them to die off. Most plants that I start off in FFOF start off strong and maintain very vigorous growth. My typical starter cup will be actual supersoil in the bottom third, which is even stronger than FFOF, then FFOF in the middle third, and Happy Frog in the top third to give the seedling an easy start without having to dig through organic pieces at the very beginning.

I do it all the time. Happy Frog was designed to be a lighter starter soil for seedlings, but there is no reason a plant can't start out in a rich soil like FFOF. Its like putting humidity domes on new seedlings... you can start out by coddling your plants and making them weak from the start, or you can allow them to immediately adjust to the conditions they find themselves in at birth.

I submit that in your earlier experience you did not burn your plants with the soil mix... you did something else wrong, like overwatering them, to cause them to die off. Most plants that I start off in FFOF start off strong and maintain very vigorous growth. My typical starter cup will be actual supersoil in the bottom third, which is even stronger than FFOF, then FFOF in the middle third, and Happy Frog in the top third to give the seedling an easy start without having to dig through organic pieces at the very beginning.
Thank you so much.

Can I ask is Happy Frog better the Fox Farm?

Can I ask is Happy Frog better the Fox Farm?
Happy Frog is their light soil, without a huge amount of organic material, designed to start plants in, or for holding up plants that you intend on feeding from the very start. Ocean Forest is one of their top of the line soils, with lots of nutrition and organic material, and can easily supply the needs of your plants for 3-4 weeks all by itself, or you can also use additional nutrients with it to create even larger plants.

Back
Top Bottom