Can soil be too rich for Middle East strains?

Felix the Dog

A lot of Middle Eastern hash strains have warnings about not overdoing fertilizers and water. The things seem to grow in rock and sand. I'm wondering if a mixture of black earth, sheep or goat manure compost, sand and a little peat, could be a bit rich for such critters. It's great for White Widow and other hybrid strains I've grown, but I'm wondering if these landrace types used to a restricted diet would find it a bit much. Whaddya think? Eh?
Thanks

A lot of ME hash strains have warnings about not overdoing fertilizers and water. The things seem to grow in rock and sand. I'm wondering if a mixture of black earth, sheep or goat manure compost, sand and a little peat, could be a bit rich for such critters. It's great for White Widow and other hybrid strains I've grown, but I'm wondering if these landrace types used to a restricted diet would find it a bit much. Whaddya think? Eh?
Thanks
From what you’re saying, it sounds like these strains of yours like extremely well-draining soil. I wonder if the black earth and compost would present drainage problems. I’m anxious to hear what others say. I’m just putting my thoughts out there.

Thanks for that. Bear in mind that the soil around here is mostly clay or one type or another, good for soybeans and corn and trees and sumac. Lots of sumac. I think I'll be doing somewhat larger holes and using somewhat more sand.

I wonder what soil is like in the Beqaa Valley..... besides dry.

""Plants require light nutrient regimes and benefit from being given a dry period between watering. The strain is hardy, being adapted to a desert climate of hot days and cold nights. ""

Yep that's the case with most of landraces and heirlooms. They like poor soil, which means little nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus, but rich in minerals. Peat is not bad as it's practically inert, although it's far from the natural, strongly eroded soil they grow in the Middle East. Sandy or clayish loam is good as rule of thumb.

I've actually grown Lebanese outdoor in the ground and due to the size, structure and overall character of this strain, it should be fertilised very little.

Here they are:

Very nice indeed! Was there some variation in height? We hear of the phenotypes. And did you smoke it as is, or hash it? I have a great curiosity about what the stuff is like to smoke as bud.
Thanks

They are all 2-3 feeters no matter if you top them or not. CBD genotypes are common including 20:1 CBD:THC as this line is related to Asian hemp. Mine were both CBD plants, so practically no high. However they make great hash.

Again, that's very interesting. May I ask if the seed source is still available?

""Mine were both CBD plants, so practically no high. However they make great hash.""

I've read things to that effect many times. In days of old there was not as much common knowledge about THC and CBD, we just smoked it, and although it was not a pot stone, everybody got off enough that hash was very popular and still is. How do we square the circle: if hash doesn't get you high, what does it do? To further complicate matters, Lebanese hash is high in CBD and low in THC, Moroccan hash plants are (nowadays) up around 16% THC, which is double (+ or -) what they were pre-2000 before the landrace breed was replaced with the current breed. So CBD hash or THC hash, they are both popular.
???

Yeah there are tqo basic genotypes there. One around 10-12% THC, which will yield hash with double that concentration and CBD rich plants with slightly different structure and colour. They all have wonderful floral/rose smell in flowering with spicy accents.

I've ordered a bunch of seeds and a THC/CBD test kit because from all accounts, the cannabinoid content of those strains is all over the place, which is fine, but I want to know and study it.

Back
Top Bottom