Canada: Cops Tell Clinics To Close

Jacob Redmond

RCMP have ordered medical marijuana dispensaries in Vernon to close.

"They sent in one of their targeted police officers, I guess from the narcotics squad, last Wednesday and gave us a threatening message," said Jeff Gaudette, part-owner of MMJ Total Health on 31st Street in the downtown core.

Gaudette said at least four of five dispensaries in Vernon had been ordered to shut their doors.

'Be Kind' dispensary on 31st Avenue has not confirmed it was also ordered to close.

MMJ Total Health has a business licence from the city, as do all the dispensaries, but not one from Health Canada.

The police officer handed over a letter ordering the dispensary to cease and desist, said an employee.

"The (officer) said anyone on the premises will be arrested, employees and patients," Gaudette said. "That's a pretty big threat."

Gaudette said the officer gave no indication when the premises would be raided.

In Nanaimo Tuesday, RCMP served search warrants on three marijuana dispensaries. Police said complaints had been made about the businesses.

The crackdown comes after the election of the Trudeau Liberal government and its vow to legalize pot.

"We won't close our doors," said Gaudette. "I'm not going to tell 500 patients 'sorry, I can't help you'."

However, the RCMP's warning has affected business.

"We've slimmed a lot of our product down, trying to minimize loss which sucks because patients don't have access to certain (types of medical marijuana)."

"The axe has been there since day one," admitted Gaudette. "This has just taken the threat level from a two to a four."

A call to the RCMP has not yet been returned.

Meanwhile, the dispensaries have asked patients to sign a petition against closures.

Gaudette says he has three pages of signatures in the two days since the petition began.

16563.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Cops Tell Clinics To Close
Author: Kate Bouey
Photo Credit: Kate Bouey

Back
Top Bottom