Cannabutter dosing

I had to try the first batch of every strain to find out what I needed, starting low and working up to what I needed. You'll need to do the same. Just give it a couple of hours before taking more as it takes time to enter your bloodstream.

I don't use the butter, but capsules with decarbed rosin and coconut oil. These are the calculations I used:

I started with decarbed flower in the capsules. By trying different sizes of capsules, I found that capsules with 150mg or 250mg worked best for me. The problem was dosing was inconsistent. When I got the rosin press earlier this year, I switched to that to get the consistent dosing I wanted. I did the calculations to get a rosin equivalent to those doses, then added enough oil to fill the capsules.

As an example, for 100 size 2 capsules that held 150mg each, I needed 15gm of flower. I assumed that I would recover 70% of the rosin from the flower.

15gm/0.70 = 21gm This is the amount of flower I pressed for rosin
3.78gm rosin was the result. This is what i used for 100 capsules.
0.37ml is the volume of a size 2 capsule according to capsule connection
100 *0.37ml = 37ml required to fill 100 capsules
0.95 is the specific gravity of coconut oil, I made the assumption that rosin was close to that
37ml * 0.95 = 35.9gm weight of coconut oil and rosin needed to fill 100 capsules
35.9gm - 3.78gm = 32.12gm subtracting the weight of rosin gives me the weight of coconut oil needed

I mixed the 32.12 gm of coconut oil with the decarbed rosin and filled a few capsules. It turned out that the capsules were a little stronger than I thought they would be. This showed I was getting more than 70% of the cannabiniods when I pressed the flower into rosin. The difference was not enough to worry about, so i filled the remaining capsules.
Yeah, I started out with small amounts for a dose, then worked up when it wasn't giving me the hi I was looking for. I knew to wait at least 2 hrs between doses ( I learned from others mistakes ). So far, I have tried 4 different strains, with different cook times. I haven't found the right strain yet I guess. Here in Oklahoma, the medical law went into effect last July, so most dispensaries don't have a huge selection of buds. Or edibles for that matter. But they will pretty soon I'm thinking, now that its been a little over a yr. By next spring, there should be a much better selection of buds, edibles as they get caught up. Theres a huge demand and the supply just hasn't been able to keep up. Most dispensaries only have 3 or 4 different strains of indica / sativa to choose from and not a lot of each of them. Trying to by an oz of any strain is real hard as they just don't have a good enuff stock pile. It seems as tho you have a great handle on things. Maybe one day, I will be that knowledgable. Thanks for all of the info and help, it is greatly appreciated.

From what I've seen from my perch in So. Cal. is that as time passes the laws governing cannabis and herb availability will likely loosen up, and that will happen over not so much time. Since you can grow 6 plants and have 6 seedlings in OK, like CA, it should be possible to do your own thing. The price of edibles down here if nothing else would prompt people to grow their own.

Back
Top Bottom