Captain Caught On Cannabis

PFlynn

Manawatu Jets captain Stacey Lambert has been suspended from basketball for two months after he tested positive for cannabis use during the NBL season.

Lambert returned a positive test in late May after being selected by Basketball New Zealand for random drug testing. The test took place in Napier after the Jets' 92-76 loss to the Bay Hawks on May 21.

Lambert sat out the Jets' last game on June 7 after the test result was revealed to team management, but the reason was not made public. He was then called to attend a New Zealand Sports Tribunal hearing on July 11.

The Jets' captain admitted the violation during the hearing and didn't take up the option to have the B sample tested.

Lambert said yesterday he regretted the mistake, which will not only affect his reputation but also the primary school students he coaches.

He will be banned from any involvement in the sport, including coaching, during the two-month ban which was implemented two weeks ago. The suspension will be lifted on September 16.

This will prevent him coaching his son's basketball team of 9- and 10-year-olds at Central Normal School.

"I'm disappointed and pretty gutted that I made this mistake which will affect me," Lambert said.

"I won't be able to coach my son's team at Central Normal.

"I protested against that at the hearing because it's not just punishing me but also punishing the kids. They won't have a coach for the rest of the season now."

The drugs revelation caps a disappointing year for Lambert on and off the court.

With family commitments including a new baby, a new Jets' combination, and the pressure of captaincy, Lambert failed to find his best form.

Lambert said he will take one year out of the game but hopes to be back playing for the Jets.

"I'll let my kids grow for a couple of years and then I'll maybe get back into it.

"My kids are aged 10, 2 and 4 months, so I was compromised in every direction this year; my relationship, kids and basketball."

Lambert said his decision to take a break from the Jets was not related to the positive drug test.

News Hawk: PFlynn - 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Manawatu Evening Standard (New Zealand)
Copyright: 2008 Manawatu Evening Standard
Website: Manawatu Standard: local, national & world news from Manawatu's daily newspaper

Back
Top Bottom