cfl question

AmGrowR

I've been shopping around for some supplies to start up my second attempt and I was wondering if all "soft white" cfl's are sufficient for flowering? It seems like they are in a warmer spectrum as opposed to the "daylight" ones. Also, are the 3-way ones good to use?

Alot of cfl packages don't have the kelvin number on them. In that case, should I go with soft white's if I'm looking for flowering bulbs?

I've been shopping around for some supplies to start up my second attempt and I was wondering if all "soft white" cfl's are sufficient for flowering? It seems like they are in a warmer spectrum as opposed to the "daylight" ones. Also, are the 3-way ones good to use?
You would get much better results using an HPS lamp. Perhaps one in a smaller wattage if heat and/or space is an issue...:ganjamon:

Would a single 150w hps be enough to grow 1-2 plants? I have a fairly small grow area with bad ventilation. Would heat from the hps be an issue?

Would a single 150w hps be enough to grow 1-2 plants? I have a fairly small grow area with bad ventilation. Would heat from the hps be an issue?
That size would be ok for one or two ladies. Heat should not be a problem and just opening the door on and off during the light cycle would work to expel it and allow fresh air to be introduced into the garden. Ventilation is important and the exchanging of the "stale" air for fresh clean air is essential for healthy growth and flower development. The foliage of any plant is dotted with tiny pores called Stomata. These tiny pores allow the plant to breath and expel moisture. Think of yourself in a coffin and what would happen as you were breathing and what would happen as the air ran low? The same principle applies to plants and the effects would be the same...:ganjamon:

Thank You, Malcolm. You've been very helpful and I believe you just talked me in to buying an HPS!

Thank You, Malcolm. You've been very helpful and I believe you just talked me in to buying an HPS!
You don't have to thank me bro, it's my pleasure to help you out. I am sure you will be pleased in the end when your enjoying the fruits of your labors. A couple things I would like you to do for me though and for yourself, be careful, be quiet, be cool and keep fighting the good fight!...:ganjamon:

3-way bulbs are made for 3-way lamps. if no info on box of soft white try to see if its printed on lower part of bulb were the other stuff is printed on it, for the spectrum number.

Well, you are able to flower plants with warm light CFLs (2700k spectrum). HPS can increase the yield anywhere from 40-75% compared to CFLs. A 150w is suited for about a 2 x 2 area, and although heat may be a concern, Malcolm called it with opening the door intermittently to allow fresh/cooler air in. You may want to supplement a 150w hps with a few cool CFLs for good measure.

Good luck!!!

Thank You everyone. I just have one more question about hps lighting before I jump in the deep end. Are ballasts easy to set up? Would it be a problem to have the ballast outside of my closet? Maybe 6-7 ft. away( at the most ) from the light itself?

Back
Top Bottom