Choosing strains, auto or not

stephyyy

Hi friends,
Just wanted some opinions. It’s time to start thinking of this years outdoor grow and I’m about to choose some strains. I’m in Toronto so it’s not West coast temperatures all the time here. Anyway please give me some ideas on some good strains that do well outdoors on the East coast. I like hybrids mostly. Also, do you suggest Auto’s for outdoor grow? I’ve never used Auto seeds before.
thanks for any advice :D

If you grow autoflowering plants outside, you can most likely say goodbye to multi-pound per plant harvests. On the other hand, if you plant photoperiodic ones and they've barely begun to flower by the time the snow starts flying, you might not harvest anything (to speak of).

What's the weather like in your neck of the woods in November? Average maximum/minimum temperatures? There are lots of decent strains that don't need to still be in flower in December (assuming you're not a fiend for landrace sativas or the "haziest of haze" strains).

Well my plants are normally ready for harvest by late September early October and that usually when it starts to get very very rainy and chilly here so it’s just in time. Instead of Auto, what about “fast flowers”? Any experience with those? I only ever use photo period seeds. I always get monster plants with huge yields but I don’t mind if the plants are abit smaller. Any go-to strains you have success with, possibly “fast flower” seeds too?

No, I have never tried any of the "fast" versions of strains. I'm interested in your thread and the future answers to your questions, though. I've been thinking about growing some autos outdoors this year. My growing season is likely to be lengthier than yours (as I am located south of you, in the USA). But we never know when it will end. We've had hard freezes in the middle of September and 75°+ Christmases (sometimes in the same year). I've never had "autoflower bud" that I felt was worth two shiny sh!ts, but eating a rotted chicken is better to starving to death - and a person can plant an auto or two per week for a while, then harvest at the same frequency on the other end. So the idea does have some appeal.

Hi friends,
Just wanted some opinions. It’s time to start thinking of this years outdoor grow and I’m about to choose some strains. I’m in Toronto so it’s not West coast temperatures all the time here. Anyway please give me some ideas on some good strains that do well outdoors on the East coast. I like hybrids mostly. Also, do you suggest Auto’s for outdoor grow? I’ve never used Auto seeds before.
thanks for any advice :D
Hiya
If you type "xxl autoflowering" into a search engine, you will see a crop of auto plants that give better yields for outside.
I live in the northern hemesphere like yourself, and I run autos in a semi outside space in the summer, they take all the bother out of seasonal timing.

No, I have never tried any of the "fast" versions of strains. I'm interested in your thread and the future answers to your questions, though. I've been thinking about growing some autos outdoors this year. My growing season is likely to be lengthier than yours (as I am located south of you, in the USA). But we never know when it will end. We've had hard freezes in the middle of September and 75°+ Christmases (sometimes in the same year). I've never had "autoflower bud" that I felt was worth two shiny sh!ts, but eating a rotted chicken is better to starving to death - and a person can plant an auto or two per week for a while, then harvest at the same frequency on the other end. So the idea does have some appeal.

I might try a few Fast Version strains, was thinking of an AK47 fast version I just hope the quality is as good as the regular photoperiod, I can’t find much online of reviews for these fast version seeds. From the Autos I’ve seen, the yields have always been so small, I guess it’s ok to some people but I’m used to getting several pounds from my grows. Have you ever grown any C99 or girlscout cookies? I’m interested in trying those this year

Hiya
If you type "xxl autoflowering" into a search engine, you will see a crop of auto plants that give better yields for outside.
I live in the northern hemesphere like yourself, and I run autos in a semi outside space in the summer, they take all the bother out of seasonal timing.

I wish there were Autos that could grow into monsters and yield pounds like the photos can. I’ve always been jealous of how fast people’s Autos finish and they seem so much easier. Have you any experience with “fast version” strains?

I wish there were Autos that could grow into monsters and yield pounds like the photos can. I’ve always been jealous of how fast people’s Autos finish and they seem so much easier. Have you any experience with “fast version” strains?
Unfortunately I've not had any experience with "fast version", I'm a bit dubious when companies proclaim " fast" as these plants are finished when they say, not when advertising says so. I've been told many a time that a plant is "super fast" only to still be checking for ripeness a month after the due date.
I have a simular weather to yourself (maybe not as cold as you),I run tents in the winter and close them down in Summer, to hot in my space, but I still wanted to produce bud. Looked at outside, but didn't want the hassle of trying to fight the weather in late Sep, early Oct to get a crop. I started doing autos 4 years ago (before that I considered them witch craft),I do 3 plants a summer, between end of May to Aug, perfect growing window.
Yes, some autos are not great producers, I usually get 3-4 oz per plant.
These new XXL Autos (New to me), seem interesting, I've seen some threads with people getting close to a pound a plant with them outside, that may be with perfect California weather, but they seem worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom