City Council Passes Resolution Opposing Marijuana Legalization

The Fontana City Council unanimously approved on July 14 a resolution that opposes a California ballot initiative that intends to legalize various marijuana-related activities.

Despite the pleas of several local residents and experts who defended the use of marijuana during the public comments section of the meeting, the four-member council approved the resolution without any discussion.

The city's resolution opposes Proposition 19, the Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010, which will be on the ballot for the Nov. 2 general election.

Fontana Chief of Police Rod Jones argued that Prop. 19, which would permit local governments to impose and collect marijuana-related fees and taxes, "does little more than a complete and wholesale legalization of marijuana."

Jones added that the use of medical marijuana, one of the main arguments by proponents of Prop. 19, "is better left to medical science rather than a popular vote."

"This act prohibits employers from taking any disciplinary action against employees for using marijuana unless they can show actual impairment," said Jones. "Billions of dollars in federal grants and subsidies will be lost to the state because California employers will no longer be able to comply with the Federal Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988."

According to a staff report, Prop. 19 would likely increase marijuana use among children and young adults, as it reportedly did in Alaska, where marijuana use was legalized in 1978 and then repealed in 1990.

In addition, staff reports indicated that "...marijuana has been proven to impair the development of the teenage brain, and more than 80 percent of youth being treated for substance abuse are addicted to marijuana."

However, local resident Ron Deziel claimed that some of the statistics the chief presented are unfounded and need revision. Deziel indicated that liquor also impairs brain development and yet teenagers have easier access to alcohol than marijuana, and that under Prop. 19 obtaining marijuana will be heavily regulated.

"(Marijuana) is not different from a supplement that you can get from a store, not much different from other drugs that are legally available to responsible adults; just because is legal it does not mean is going to undermine society and corrupt our youth," said Deziel.

He and 10 other activists urged the City Council to wait and analyze the facts and then come back at a future date to make a wise decision, but the council denied his request.

Robert McCoy, an Ontario-based attorney with relatives in Fontana, asked the council to be neutral on the subject to avoid possible lawsuits in the future. He argued that the resolution is a potential liability to the city if Prop. 19 passes.

"Ninety-eight percent of officers will uphold the law, but two percent don't care about the law, and they don't care about protecting people's lives. My concern with this is that the city is adopting a resolution ratifying that conduct," said McCoy. "Illegal conduct by officers arresting somebody without probable cause could cause the city some lawsuits. Your job as the City Council is to be neutral; once the proposition is voted on, then you can come back and make resolutions."

Carlos Ceballos indicated that by adopting Prop. 19, cities like Fontana could generate money that could be used for after school programs, parks, recreational activities and law enforcement. By refusing to adopt it means municipalities are going against the will of the people, he said.

The public is sharply divided over the idea of legalizing cannabis. A recent Field Poll showed that Prop. 19 was narrowly trailing, but a SurveyUSA poll found that Californians were in favor of the measure by 10 percentage points.

In 1996, 56 percent of Californian voters approved Prop. 215, which legalized marijuana use for seriously ill patients. However, medical marijuana patients run the risk of apprehension under federal law, which local authorities tend to follow.

Prop. 19, spearheaded by Richard Lee, a marijuana legalizing activist from Oakland, would allow persons over the age of 21 up to one ounce of marijuana for personal consumption. It would allow persons to use marijuana in a non-public place such as a residence or a establishment licensed for on-site marijuana consumption, and allow them to grow marijuana at a private residence for personal use.

If approved, Prop. 19 would allow local governments to authorize retailers to sell up to one ounce of marijuana per transaction. Local governments could authorize larger amounts of marijuana for personal possession and cultivation depending on a person-by-person need.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Fontana Herald News
Author: ALEJANDRO CANO
Copyright: 2010 Fontana Herald News

* Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

Maybe I missed it, but the Federal Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988 does not require drug testing, nor does it prohibit legal substances. So if Prop 19 passes, according to state law, marijuana will be legal for small amounts and personal use. I fail to see how compliance can not be maintained. Plus, other than grants, it only applies to organizations that do over 100k worth of business with the federal government, not including money from selling the federal government stuff.
Like normal, lies, BS and half-truths used by government to try an paint marijuana as evil.

Basically what I have been telling everyone... just because it is it is legal for the state does not mean it is legal in a town near you.

That is why the taxation of this beloved plant is not the option. It is legalization accross the board. Now with new developements with the VA for vets we as mmj patient have a new weapon against the feds.

With that said... we need to work on the total decriminaliztion of it in california and guess what... it will not matter what the cities do.

Prop 19 gives them all the power to tax and regulate as they see fit.

Vote NO!

As much as it goes against our grain to vote no on such an issue...Ganga is sooooooo right about this. We need a law (im a former californian moved to alaska) that allows real freedom. Alaska is close...we can have up to 24 plants in the privacy of our own homes. As much as the consertative forces in this state tried to change that, the Alaska Supreme court had ruled otherwise.

we can't
smoke it anywhere but the privacy of our own home
sell it/buy it
transport it
give it to anyone.

we are still in the closet (no pun intended) but we are somewhat free on the state level.

If Prop 19 passes in cali... it could set a precedent for the Federal Regulations when we evolve that will affect all 50 states. I dont want to become a bootlegger just because I want to grow my own. A situation that the government can't regulate or tax and therefore will eventually seek to control.

Basically what I have been telling everyone... just because it is it is legal for the state does not mean it is legal in a town near you.

That is why the taxation of this beloved plant is not the option. It is legalization accross the board. Now with new developements with the VA for vets we as mmj patient have a new weapon against the feds.

With that said... we need to work on the total decriminaliztion of it in california and guess what... it will not matter what the cities do.

Prop 19 gives them all the power to tax and regulate as they see fit.

Vote NO!

"just because it is it is legal for the state does not mean it is legal in a town near you."

You're right, but this is happening now anyway. Dispensaries are shutting down left and right in Orange County, so prop 19 is just the confrontation we need to have with those against legalization. Our medical rights are not being respected.

"That is why the taxation of this beloved plant is not the option."

Taxes are a great incentive for those that may be on the fence about voting yes. CA is broke, and taxes fund much of the services needed by citizens.

"Now with new developments with the VA for vets we as mmj patient have a new weapon against the feds."

That’s cool, but why should we all wait for the VA when we can improve the situation for others in November and not just the medical community?

"we need to work on the total decriminalization of it in California and guess what... it will not matter what the cities do. "

I couldn’t agree more. Prop 19 isn’t perfect, but it's better than what’s going on now.

"Prop 19 gives them all the power to tax and regulate as they see fit."

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but Prop 19 does allow for average citizens to grow and smoke marijuana in their homes. People can't do that now unless the have a medical recommendation or are willing to break the law.

At the least, voting yes on prop 19 will force greater debates and confrontation in the future.
:grinjoint:

No this is not the case...LOL. Everone is not getting the picture. Dispensories are closing down because the prohibitionists are using the grey area of the bill in order to mess with us.... oh and guess what... prop 19 is packed full of grey areas for the state and Feds to mess with us and land a whole bunch of people in jail. It will be business as usual, tons of people heading to prison because of what they are doing now without this bill even in effect yet, the feds will close down every commercial grow that does not fallow their directive, children will be taken away for growing in your home... yea that is right, turns a simple 100.00 infraction into a possible 6 month stay in the state pen and 1000.00 in cash fine... ect.

Sorry but my answer is still... VOTE NO!

No it does not sir... I wish people would understand this:

Mandatory fine of $1,000 and at least 24 hours of community service. For furnishing Alcohol to a minor... and how many do that now???? glass of wine with dinner... guess what???

So you are ok with them repealing the current infraction of 100.00 fine and nothing else... to a possible 6 month stay in hotel california and 1000.00 fine... sorry but that is backwards.

Close but not a mirror... wonder what your job would say if you had to spend six months in jail.

I still say vote no!

It is a way to catch people and put them in jail as there is big money in running jails and all the government hand outs to retrain prisoners as well as nice kick backs.

Prop 19 is bigPharma and big business.

Ganga is right in my eyes. Look at who benifits from the war on drugs....at number three we see the law enforcement/prison industry and all those that support it (someone sells them all the tech they use) you really think they are going to let this go. The can and will exploit any loophole they can find and prop 19 is riddled with them. I see "DANGER" will robinson.
Unfortunatly...it prop 19 fails it will become a conserative talking point

the whole country is watching

No this is not the case...LOL. Everone is not getting the picture. Dispensories are closing down because the prohibitionists are using the grey area of the bill in order to mess with us.... oh and guess what... prop 19 is packed full of grey areas for the state and Feds to mess with us and land a whole bunch of people in jail. It will be business as usual, tons of people heading to prison because of what they are doing now without this bill even in effect yet, the feds will close down every commercial grow that does not fallow their directive, children will be taken away for growing in your home... yea that is right, turns a simple 100.00 infraction into a possible 6 month stay in the state pen and 1000.00 in cash fine... ect.

Sorry but my answer is still... VOTE NO!

"Everone is not getting the picture."

Who's everyone? Many people support your vote for no, but I don't.

"Dispensories are closing down because the prohibitionists are using the grey area of the bill in order to mess with us...."

And your answer to this injustice is to do nothing but sit around and wait for the VA or some other magic bullet that would spontaneously combust some marijuana smoker's utopia? You argue that Prop 19 would destroy medical patient rights and yet you just agreed that those rights are being trampled on now. The time to wait is over.

"prop 19 is packed full of grey areas for the state and Feds to mess with us and land a whole bunch of people in jail."

I agree as far as the gray areas, and I welcome the confrontation this will force upon the Federal government. Who's to say what will come of it, but I doubt that you could predict that any more than I could.

"It will be business as usual, tons of people heading to prison because of what they are doing now without this bill even in effect yet, the feds will close down every commercial grow that does not fallow their directive, children will be taken away for growing in your home... "

Wouldn't it be business as usual if people vote no? The Fed is free to shut down whom they want now, so how does Prop 19 change that? I can answer that. It forces the debate outside the politically correct discussion of medical use vs. recreational. Aren't most of us chasing that?

"yea that is right, turns a simple 100.00 infraction into a possible 6 month stay in the state pen and 1000.00 in cash fine..."

Every consumer over 21 will be free to have an ounce with no medical recommendation. That's a good start.
:tokin:

No it does not sir... I wish people would understand this:

So you are ok with them repealing the current infraction of 100.00 fine and nothing else... to a possible 6 month stay in hotel california and 1000.00 fine... sorry but that is backwards.

I still say vote no!

It is a way to catch people and put them in jail as there is big money in running jails and all the government hand outs to retrain prisoners as well as nice kick backs.

Prop 19 is bigPharma and big business.

I'm not pleased about anyone going to jail for pot, but it's happening now. The larger the cannabis community is the larger the voice. Most seem to agree that a yes vote on prop 19 will increase consumer usage and drop the prices.

They can catch people and put them in jail now. Attaching words like big pharma seems desperate. Consumers will have a choice of shopping at the super chains or growing their own. Big business mean jobs, something the current situation does not allow for.

Sorry but again there is only a few jobs that will come of this. Again... it will close down hydro shops and small growers who hire seasonal workers for trimming.

Again it is backwards to take an infraction to a possible stay in the state pen for 6 months... I just do not get the reasoning behind it.

Taxation is not legalization but gov control.

Decriminalization is what is needed.

What we should be working on is getting rid of the grey area in the MMJ community and decide what we are going to do for that. I feel that Decriminalization can come about via the MMJ community and not commercial marijuana bigpharma who are the ones pushing and authored prop19.

Well dont give people under 21 cannabis and you wont go to jail. It is awfully harsh though.

I'm curious as to how it will close hydro shops? Do you mean that shops that sell growing equipment?

Yes sir... also this prop 19 was supposed to curb the influx to jails... but again people are being missinformed when infact the ages that lead the way are 18-24. So yes this bill will not curb the jail time for 18-20.

With big ganjapharma cranking out 60 pounds a day per facility... two of them owned by Mr. Lee and the fact that he plans to do the same in SoCal that would be about 240 pounds a day. With that... who needs to grow.

Yea yea I know... it will be dirtweed... yea right. I am sure if he can afford that... what makes you think he can not afford the best growers around to grow for him and hire genetic engineers to come up with the dankest weed on the planet for pennies on the dollar?

Eh, Prop 19 says very clearly that all the towns have the authority to do is forbid the selling of marijuana. You can possess up to an ounce on your person, anywhere, any time, and grow whatever the prop say regardless of the town's statements.
I love the ones who slam Prop 19 because it prevents minors from smoking pot. And who oppose it because it is not "perfect". Sorry folks, if you wait for perfect, you'll get nothing. Politics is the act of compromise and negotiation. And unlike when negotiating for a car, where you can go elsewhere, politics you are stuck with what you got.
If you vote no to Prop 19, and indulge in using or growing marijuana, the only logical conclusion is you are against it because you think it will cut into your profits.

Which is absurd, since anyone with a lick of sense can handle a market place. Won't be as easy as slinging 200.00 ounces for pot that cost you 10 bucks to grow, but there will still be a demnd for good dope, and new demands for clones, grow expeirence grow rooms, and such things like the guys who do lawncare, except for pot.

Mike's Marijuana Management. Let us do your growing for you. Use our services to maximize your yield, in your home, using our experience. We have a combined 45 years of experience in growing high quality, high potency marijuana in-doors."

See, ready made ad, that is dead on point where money is to be made. "Billy Bob's custom grow rooms. Guaranteed to be within the size limit with maximum light, with minimum expenses."

So vote no and kill the first real chance for marijuana to move into legal status.

LOL... it is will not be legal with prop 19. It will be the same as it is now. Violation of Federal law. It will not kill the movement. Also with all the grey areas of this bill you will see alot more arrests.

Sorry but Vote NO!

GanjaAl, another lie and piece of FUD on your part. It will, if Prop 19 passes, be legal for adults in the state of CA to have pot and plants within the limits defined within Prop 19. Won't be legal in the federal system, although some mighty good case law should come out of it being challenged, but then again, it is not legal according to the feds now. So, you are complaining that approving Prop 19 will not make it legal in the fed system. no state law will make it legal in the fed system, so you are in fact saying you want to keep marijuana illegal in the state law and the federal law.

How much money are you standing to lose, according to your estimates, if Prop 19 passes? That is the only reason you can be so against legalizing pot, since you hang out on a board devoted to the growing and using of marijuana.

LOL... none. I am a patient and have friends that use it to relax without a rec. They pass it around to each other all the time and again are not mmj users. Now with this new bill they are looking at 6 months in jail with a 1000.00 fine instead of the 100.00 fine and no jail time. Vote yes for more jail time.

I pose the same question... how much money do you stand to make off of prop19???

Are you big ganjapharma or work for the Jails that will house rec users who mess up????

Sorry but there is more chance through the compationate act then the rec act to have marijuana nation wide. MMJ has turned tons of my friends who are christian towards helping those who need it for their medical needs.

You are so full of it in the fact that right now no one goes to jail for an ounce or less as it stands. So again... it will be business as usual for LE and the prohibitionists when prop 19 passes.

Personal possession arrests/incarceration will not go up if 19 passes, not for 21 and over AND not for the under 21 either.

20 acre grows will not be around for long, the DEA will see to that.

Mom and pop's will not starve, they may have to tweak their plans a bit, but they wont go hungry.

What we should be discussing is how to get public testing for rec and medical weed so people can finally see what they are buying.

Back
Top Bottom