City Mom Says Despite Iowa Law, She Can't Legally Get Her Son Medical Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

A Dubuque mother has to do something illegal in order to treat her son with a form of medical marijuana that is legal in Iowa. Jennifer McFadden's son has epilepsy and other diseases that he treats with cannabis oil.

A state law approved more than a year ago made it legal to use cannabis oil for medical conditions, but not to make or sell the oil in Iowa.

Cannabis oil is derived from marijuana plants but does not have the T.H.C. chemical. That means users are not able to get high from it. Iowans need to get an identification card to use cannabis oil.

McFadden has an Iowa issued medical marijuana card. She has the oil shipped to her home from Colorado. However, under federal law, it is illegal to ship the oil across state lines.

Her son Liam, 12, lives with several medical conditions.

McFadden said, "His primary diagnosis is Dravet Syndrome which is severe epilepsy."

She says he also has autism and has a mental cognition similar to an 18-month old.

Two weeks ago, McFadden started giving him a tube of cannabis oil twice each day.

"I want to be cautious," said Jennifer. "I had him home a few times and he's chatting a little more. Whether he's excited or it's the oil, it's too early to tell. "

The mother and son spend as much time together as possible. But Liam lives, full-time, at a federally licensed health care facility in Dubuque.

"It's still not considered legal under federal policy so because they are governed by the government, they're not allowed to administer it. And I can't even give it to him on site. I have to take him off site, administer it and then take him back," McFadden said.

McFadden says that routine can be disruptive for Liam's mental health. For her, it means she's leaving work twice each day to give him the oil.

"I am thrilled I get to see my son, but I think just the consistency of having it there and not having to worry about it. I am fearful when it's January and I have to bundle him up when it's 10-below wind chills," she said.

But this mom says she'll do whatever she must to help improve her son's quality of life.

"It's your child and you don't know what your life would be without him," McFadden said.

Despite it being illegal to ship the cannabis oil across state lines, federal agents have not taken any steps to block shipments into Iowa. Meanwhile, Congressman Rod Blum recently co-sponsored a bill that would remove cannabis from the legal definition of marijuana.

This past legislative session, lawmakers tried to expand Iowa's cannabis oil law to include other diseases and allow production of the oil in the state.

The Senate passed the bill, but it didn't get passed the House.

15365.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Dubuque mom says despite Iowa Law, she can't legally get her son medical marijuana. | News | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather
Author: Katie Wiedemann
Contact: Contact Us | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather
Photo Credit: Godofredo Vasquez
Website: KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather

I don't know whether to be embarrassed or outraged by the governments elected by my fellow citizens but I think that I will go with both. We could have thoughtful, intelligent, compassionate representation if only the citizens wished yet we have a bunch of feces throwing primates.

Back
Top Bottom