Cloning and Genetics question

WildestViolet

I posted a question yesterday and being new to this site, I probably did it wrong so forgive the repetition, because I am still unsure how to delete a post. I have copied and pasted it here for feedback..Thanks All.

My questions may seem pathetic at first, so bear with me. We had a bacterial issue, resolved with filtration and hydrogen peroxide in the water system. My last two sets of Odyssey clones were probably affected by this. While everything else is thriving, the one area we suddenly have realized was not treated was our cloner....Would the bacterial issue of the mother plants, now resolved, be a genetic trait of the clones...passing that on and causing them to be either in shock or root slower...? Every area that we corrected the bacteria issue on is now doing well. The last set of clones were taken from the plants that were beginning to look poor and are now looking good....DOES this make sense...or do I need to elaborate. We are thinking either start with new clones from the treated plants or we just treated the water/nutes in the cloner for the first time with the peroxide and hope that will assist in production of roots....on the clones that are still new but have not rooted...(to elaborate: We have never ever had a rooting problem with any other strains and have no other issues at all and yea, we survived an early spring issue with mites and more...so we are not new to this...hydro store is very helpful....just checking here...)

01/19/09 which is not the norm for us. the last set took long also, but rooted. The clones prior never took more than a week or less to show roots...those were sensei and misty...these are odyssey. The plants have all come back full force and look beautiful, with new filtration and the treatment of hydro peroxide...and actually look better than they ever did...also the newest trays have all recently gone from rockwool and pebbles to soil....pebbles have been the mainstay for over a year and while okay...a major pain..

by not the norm, I mean, rooting time has been ridiculous with these last two sets...We got the fact that the one set prior to the recent one, had shock issues...unplugged and power outage, however we think the genetic make up initially coming from a mother that was sick and cured....maybe the genetics that we want to stop or change in the clones and this last set of clones are the last ones from that bacterial issue....

Seems like a lot of stress factors involved. Also some strains are just a bugger to clone no matter how careful you are. I have not worked with Odyssey so I can't really tell you if I've had trouble with those too. Have you tried cloning them in soil? I seem to have the best luck with soil rooted clones. That could just be me.

have you tried the scarification/scraping technique on the stem of the cutting?

Ahh...thank you for replying. They just showed us the first roots today. We are going to try the scarification with the next set. I mentioned it and my partner here,,,said he had thought of it, so that is a good place to start. Odyssey produces the best, densest, sweetest and good size plus yield of nugs...that is why I call her my Queen. In fact, I am often called spider Jeni...when harvesting...haha. Also will be trying out some new clones from dispensary. We got odyssey from a friend, the initial clones and had to go thru spider mites...phase of agony at that time...so we have learned a great deal from that excursion...Good feedback and much appreciated....any suggestions for others will be welcome, as well...thinking of master kush and something related to northern lights strain....
I have not tried soil for propagation or rooting...but with the change from pebbles, that may also be an option....I know from the non tempermental veggies, I use to be able to graze thru my gardens in Oregon...I had great veggies from rooted in just the peat pods...tho these ladies are more tempermental...

good to see ya working thru the headaches and getting things back to 'grow'. i dont think the bacteria infection from the mother will be a genetic problem entirely, but it might spread to the clones from the mother during cutting if it wasnt infected already. you should be able to clean your cloner and call it a day if you already resolved the issues w/the mothers. you can obviously cure the clones if need be. i like to use the peat barrel/pot things for clones. works real nice w/a little extra root-stim even with my no veg time grow style. just full on 12/12 straight from the mother plant that's also on 12/12. good luck :grinjoint:

Ahhh thanks NBK, I tried to post a day or so ago,,,but was quite ill from migrain, so lost patience. All is going very well and today is a good day for us. I also like the peat barrrel/pots. I have some rapid rooter that we tried with seeds and distilled water awhile back (gift seeds, not my favorite type of starts) and the seeds must have been old (hence nada from that). I am going to check the dispensary for some other clones... At this stage they are flourishing. Hugs from the rainy woods.

Back
Top Bottom