CO: CSU-Pueblo Student Benefits From Marijuana Excise Tax Scholarship

Katelyn Baker

It's plain and simple: College is expensive and any type of financial assistance can help.

Just ask Brandon Barber, a Colorado State University-Pueblo freshman studying criminology with a minor in computer science.

He's also taking advantage of one of Pueblo County's newest scholarships – one that receives praise from some and forms a stigma for others.

"Anything is great, money-wise, when you are looking to attend college. Every little bit helps, and one of the scholarships I received has really helped," Barber said, sitting behind his desk at the Pueblo Hispanic Education Foundation, where he has a work-study job.

"I'm liking it. I'm liking the independence and the classes feel great. I am doing pretty well."

The 19-year-old 2016 Centennial High School graduate was among 23 Pueblo County students who received a scholarship derived from the county's marijuana excise tax, which means proceeds from marijuana sales have been used to fund college scholarships.

He and other students received $2,000 from Pueblo County in the spring.

Barber started at CSU-Pueblo in the fall and immediately began spending his scholarship money.

"I bought some books. I also used some of the money to go toward my tuition. It really helps," he said.

The Pueblo County commissioners approved a partnership with the Pueblo Hispanic Education Foundation – the organization Barber now has a work-study with – to administer the Pueblo County Scholarship Fund using pot excise tax dollars to match state funding from the Colorado Opportunity Scholarship Initiative.

The Colorado Commission on Higher Education granted the county's application for the 2015-16 Colorado Opportunity Scholarship Initiative Matching Student Scholarship grant for $226,597.

Barber said it feels good to now work for an organization that played a big part in allowing him the excise tax scholarship.

A negative connotation that has risen in some circles about the "marijuana scholarships" doesn't bother Barber.

"It's something that helps students. When you are going to college, it doesn't really matter what kind of scholarship you get, in my opinion," Barber said.

"It's money. It just helps you from going into more and more debt. It's just another scholarship."

Barber also received two scholarships from CSU-Pueblo: a Classified Staff scholarship and a First Generation scholarship.

"They all help," he said.

Barber said he is proud of the fact that he is one of the first students to receive a scholarship funded by marijuana excise tax.

"This is a real positive thing that came out of the legalization of marijuana. I am glad that the county is deciding to use the tax to help with not only scholarships but also projects around the county," Brandon said.

"I like where they are going with that. It will prove to other states that there is a benefit to legalized marijuana. The taxes from it can be used for so many things – scholarships, roads, buildings."

Voters in 2015 approved a county excise tax on the first sale of unprocessed retail marijuana on retail marijuana cultivation facilities located in Pueblo County.

Half of the excise tax proceeds fund the Pueblo County Scholarship Fund; the other half goes into a fund for capital projects related to community development.

The total dollar amount for the 2016-17 academic year was $50,000.

County officials said the anticipated total number of scholarships awarded this year will depend on demand and need, but the opportunity is available to all Pueblo graduating seniors planning to attend Pueblo Community College or CSU-Pueblo. Students need to apply for the scholarship at phef.net. (Keep checking the site for the yet-to-be-determined application deadline.)

The county is budgeting $485,000 to be available for Pueblo County Scholarships for the 2017-18 academic year from marijuana.

Up to $250,000 is available from state matching funds over the next few years from COSI grants to supplement.

There were 40 applicants for the scholarship in 2016, and Barber said he encourages high school students to apply for this scholarship in 2017.

"Any scholarship, do it. Even if you don't qualify for some of these scholarships, do it. They have to spend that money," he said.

Barber, who is scheduled to graduate in 2020, said he would like to enter the criminology field as a detective. He'd also like to use his minor in computer science and use it for cyber crime.

student.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: CSU-Pueblo Student Benefits From Marijuana Excise Tax Scholarship
Author: Anthony A. Mestas
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom