CO2 on the roots part 1

SpeesCees

Getting this document out in the open took me a lot off trouble (3 trips to Russia)
It was stored in a space off 6x4x2.5 meters full off documents that had to be stored “digital” at one time.
That this never happened had everything to do with the lack off money to pay the wages and computers.
The location off the storage space was under the bibliotheca off the University at Orenburg in Russia.
Finding out only that took 2 years.
The point is that at conventions they always referred to this document…..but could never been shown.

I thank the director off the University at Orenburg, the ministry off agriculture at Orenburg and my translator Inessa.
The translation to English was done by the only official translation agency in Orenburg.
The official Russian copies are also in my hands.
For the people who know this material this answers the question if ground plants are capable to take up co2 by the roots.
And thereby this mater is scientifically proven and thereby a fact.

YES….A GROUNDPLANT CAN TAKE UP CO2 BY THE ROOTS VERY EASELY!
===============================================

CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION

Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR
1954. Vol. 97, No 5

PHISIOLOGY OF PLANTS
E.G. Grinfeld
ON THE NUTRITION OF PLANTS WITH CARBON DIOXIDE
THROUGH THE ROOTS

Recently the soviet scientists have proved that plants absorb carbonic acid through the roots as well. Kursanov A.L. et al (1-3) proved by carbon radiation that carbonic acid taken up from the soil is rapidly transferred into the green parts of the plants and assimilated into carbohydrates by the leaves (photosynthesis); the amount of carbonic acid taken in by the roots is rather great. Other scientists (6,7) claim the same. Working upon various plants, Samokhvalov G.K. (6) proved, that carbonic acid nutrition increases the yielding capacity of plants.
Improvement of carbonic acid nutrition increases the rate of photosynthesis. Nichiporovitch A.A. (5) suggests, that increasing rate of photosynthesis can boost the ratio of useful parts weight of the plant to the leaf area, meaning that a unit of leaf area can produce more plastic substances stored in the crops of useful parts (fruits, roots, tubers etc.)
The field experiments (1953), when sugar beet was fed with carbonic acid (soil was fertilised with carbonic acid nutrition during the vegetation period) suggests the high efficiency of this method. The experiment was carried in Latvian weather conditions, with podzolized rendzina soil. The test was performed 4 times on a standard strain of sugar beet, U-752, on 50 sq. m. plots, with machine sowing and meeting the necessary agricultural conditions of the plant growing.
The work was performed against the background of basic and row mineral fertilisers and two 120 kg per hectare dosings of N, P2O5 and K2O. The basic fertiliser was applied in spring, in back set. The nutrition was introduced in variants, into furrows along the rows, twice in the vegetation period. For CO2 nutrition dry ammonium carbonate was applied together with other mineral fertilisers. During the first nutrition (June, 4-5) carbonate was applied in 30 kg CO2/ha, during the second (June, 27) – 50 kg/ha. In the nil treatment sample ammonium nitrate was applied in relation to the nitrogen, introduced with ammonium carbonate. The total amount of nitrogen and other fertilisers in the variants (as well as the care after the plants) was the same.

During the vegetation, the plant growth and sugar content in the roots were tested by polirimetric method in dynamics, selecting 10 plants at a time. The tests showed, that the plants, receiving carbonic fertilisers, had smaller leaf area in comparison with the rest plants (Table 1):

Click to enlarge

Still the plants possessed the higher efficiency index (Table 2):

Click to enlarge

The data of economic parameters increase, given in Table 2,
shows, that CO2 nutrition increases the root weight, gain rate and sugar content, but under these conditions the absolute and relative amount of leaves is reduced. It suggests of intensive photosynthesis in assimilation ability in the plants, that received CO2 nutrition in comparison with nil treatment sample, providing the larger root weight, but the smaller leaf area (Table 1) and leaves weight (Table 2). It increased the assimilation apparatus efficiency (Table 3).

Reference to Table 3 shows, that the leaf area unit of the plants, receiving CO2 nutrition, accounts for larger root weight, than in the nil treatment sample. It was not observed only on the initial stage, probably due to the young age of plants and smaller leaf area, that prevented them from utilizing all the additional carbonic acid, though they assimilated it, as the carbon content in leaves suggests (Table 4). The carbon content was defined by the Turin-Lukashik’s method in middle samples of leaves gathered in the morning (9-12 a.m.), fixed with stream and dried until air-dry condition.

Table 3:

Click to enlarge

Table 4:

Click to enlarge

Reference table 4 shows, that carbon content in the plants receiving CO2 nutrition, is 7-9% higher than in the nil treatment samples, that indicates the better conditions of organic substances synthesis. Only on June, 9 the carbon excess is 30%, probably due to the fact, that the sample included young leaves only (there have been no old ones yet). All the following tests included mainly old leaves, depending on their amount on the plant. The carbon content was checked in leaves as well as in the roots by the same method (Table 5):

Table 5:

Click to enlarge

Reference to Table 5 shows that the CO2 nutrition has increased the carbon content in roots as well. The noted increase of leaves photosynthesis influenced the sugar beet crops per hectare (Table 6), (the crops were harvested on October 7-9, 1953).
Reference to Table 6 shows, that carbonates nutrition has increased the root crops by 16.2 % (85 centres per hectare) and sugar yield by 14.5% (12 centres per hectare) in comparison with the leaves amount and sugar content practically the same as in nil treatment samples. But together with root crops growth, the weight of the crops has significantly reduced during the vegetation period.
As a result of CO2 nutrition, the photosynthetic rate of the plants has increased (as demonstrated by the relation of root weight to leaves weight), the assimilation apparatus area has reduced as well as the leaves weight, while daily average root gain has increased.
The noted changes of the sugar beet growth dynamics are of particular importance in Latvia, where the leaf area growth and its efficiency in increasing for the whole period of vegetation, being a favourable condition for carbonic acid application, which boost the photosynthesis process.
Thus, the results, received in the 1st year of experiments make it possible to suggest, that carbon nutrition may become an important factor of the sugar beet (and, probably, of other plants) crops growth and can be regulated as well as other nutrition conditions (N, P, K etc).

Table 6:

Click to enlarge

Presented on March 29, 1954

References:
*1: Kursanov A.L. , Krukova N.N. , Vartapenan B.V. ,
Dokladi Akademii Nauk SSSR, 85, #4 (1952)
*2: Kursanov A.L. , Kuzin A.M. , Mamul J.V. ,
Dokladi Akademii Nauk SSSR, 79, #4 (1951)
*3: Kuzin A.M. , Merenova V.I. , Mamul J.V. ,
Dokladi Akademii Nauk SSSR, 85, #3 (1952)
*4: Lukashik N.A. TSHA report, 10 (1049)
*5: Nicjiporovich A.A. “Breeding and seed forming”, #2 (1953)
*6: Samokhvalov G.K.

Product11-sm.jpg

I love it when I learn something new. It seems to be happening alot since I joined this site. LOL

So in light of these articles on co2 absorption through the root system, is there any reason why watering with a no-sodium plain seltzer water wouldn't be beneficial? I think I'll setup a small experiment:smokin:

I'm no agronomist but some things in this paper come into question:

1) Carbonic acid is nothing more than CO2 dissolved in water - soda water/seltzer. Every grower should take note that it really is an ACID. Adding additional acid via soda water can cause problems for the inexperienced, and it has the potential to cause shifting nutrient lockouts as the root-zone pH fluctuates.

2) The paper makes a claim of applying basic (pH 9) "carbonate" to the beets but no mention of carbonic acid directly - THEY DID NOT APPLY SELTZER. They claim to use ammonium carbonate (NH4)2CO3) but they report CO2 equivalents, which is a stretch. Ammonium carbonate is water soluble but it also decomposes in air to give ammonia and ammonium bicarbonate (NH4HCO3), another basic salt. Well, this ammonium bicarbonate decomposes under acidic conditions (your rootzone) to give ammonia, water and CO2 --- NH4HCO3 → NH3 + H2O + CO2 So far that's 2 molecules of nasty ammonia for each CO2 gained. Strong basicity influence on the soil chemistry.

All of the extraneous salts and ammonia byproducts have the potential to wreak havoc on a garden by affecting the pH, affecting uptake of other nutrients. The soil already contains all sorts of ions for the NH3 to hook up with and form more toxic salts. It's a big risk to take considering how easy CO2 injection is, and the fact that we can monitor dosing accurately and maximize CO2 uptake through the leaves.

3) Because a claim was made in 1954 about sugar beets, which is quite possibly true, this does not mean that other species will respond accordingly. Slow down and consider that different species have different needs and responses. Likewise, success of an outdoor crop with native soil and ammonium carbonate is no indicator that a container plant will do well with seltzer water... apples and oranges.

4) Experimentation is always good. Hightimes has reported on the idea of watering with this CO2-acid water (seltzer) and it never seemed to gain popularity. The chemistry behind it would be different: You add seltzer (acid water) and plummet the pH to around 5 and lock out/reduce absorption of key nutrients. As it sits waiting to be absorbed the CO2 starts to evaporate and with that, the pH starts coming back up slowly. Meanwhile, CO2 gas is percolating through the soil, but the roots need oxygen gas, which is being displaced.

5) It's foggy but I recall that cannabis root chemistry alternates on a day/night cycle in which oxygen is needed by the roots during daylight hours, and that there is some trace CO2 involvement at night... anyone?

6) Paper states that weight loss occurred for vegatative growth but that the root yield was boosted. Sugarbeets are a root crop, not a flower crop, so again, the study is not applicable to a flower crop.

Yours In Pain,
biscanna

thats what we want .. heavy...

After reading all that....

growing in a sog,

I'm should drop tabs in my rez at lights out and maintain a feeding schedule in the dark hours... during veg.

Veg is a max of 2 weeks with the sole purpose of establishing a root system (seed does not seem to need this, clones seem too, for end production).

I would love to go to 12 with a huge (relative... i'm in small net pots ebb and flow) root mass and a small plant...

i met a crazy bastard that said he would find his main taproot split it and then proceed to shove a co2 tube up it and feed them the co2 that way at night. Apparently he had them in rock cubes hangin over a large pool of water/ nutrients that was oxygenated 24 hours a day.
he said he grew dankydank and had a awesome yield\
i never the setup but it sounds like somthing out a movie. non the less still cool.
anybody got any input

I knew guys who would split the stem at the base late in season,using a lil' rock to hold the sides apart,to stress the plant in the last couple of weeks before harvest,but sticking a CO2 feed into the split is a new one on me.

I personally don't want to add Ammonium Carbonate to my garden.
I know a guy who suggested to pump CO2 into the root zone. He said that was where the plants really want it. I always thought he was a wanker, but i guess he was a genius!

TIME 2 WAKE THIS THREAD UP!!!

ive found a new product by API called co2 booster...its made for aquariums but is says that its a organic carbon based liquid co2 booster and its part of their complete line (3part) of aquarium plant nutrients.

directions per bottle say 1ml per 10gal daily...

any thought or concerns will b accepted and appreciated :D

started a thread in FAQ but i was thinkin bout a side by side DWC in veg :Namaste:
( TOO scared @ add it the the ladies as of yet!!)

Is this BS? How much of this is BS? It HAS to be BS, right?
I feel like I just walked into a roomful of 100 people who proceed to every one of them stop talking and turn to look at me expectantly, and I can't tell if they're going to start laughing or throw things at me instead.
I'm waiting for Ashton Kutcher to pop out and tell me that I've been Skunk'd.
But for real, if this is an actual thread about actual reality I would LOVE to know more, mostly so I could send it to Gary Shteyngart and make him continue to write awesome fiction. But also so I could use the tabs for my own nefarious deeds.

Is this BS? How much of this is BS? It HAS to be BS, right?
I feel like I just walked into a roomful of 100 people who proceed to every one of them stop talking and turn to look at me expectantly, and I can't tell if they're going to start laughing or throw things at me instead.
I'm waiting for Ashton Kutcher to pop out and tell me that I've been Skunk'd.
But for real, if this is an actual thread about actual reality I would LOVE to know more, mostly so I could send it to Gary Shteyngart and make him continue to write awesome fiction. But also so I could use the tabs for my own nefarious deeds.

Agreed. I'm going through older threads and seeing all kinds of hokey crap being passed off as 'fact' and 'science'.

I personally don't want to add Ammonium Carbonate to my garden.
I know a guy who suggested to pump CO2 into the root zone. He said that was where the plants really want it. I always thought he was a wanker, but i guess he was a genius!

HE...HALLOOOOOO.... at least 1 guy who does understand THE point !
HALLELUJA !

Come on... after all that shit in Russia to dig it up ? ( read the whole topic )
Take a nice PPM meter and messure your soil in day time... try it again in night time... and please tell us what you did find ?
No need to be cleaver as you find the results.
And at the end... the CO2 tabs from No Mercy are just perfect to give them the right dose... on the root.
And all that for just a little money.
We couldn't make it more easy for you !
Sorry for my poor English... but I guess your Dutch will be more ...ehhh...eh...:420:

SpeesCees

Has anyone used a product called "better then CO2, liquid carbon? Its made by over grow nutrients. Spendy but my ladies seem to like it. I've never used gas co2 so I have nothing to compare it to.

That tabs are ment for aquaria !

They are still busy with the VELDA tabs... a mistake I also made in the past.
The right tabs are 3 times stronger.

Stay cool.
SpeesCees

Back
Top Bottom