Colorado Pot Activists Turning In Legalize Petition

420 Warrior

DENVER - Marijuana legalization activists in Colorado are turning in signatures Wednesday to put the question on ballots this fall.

The Campaign To Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol says it will turn in some 160,000 signatures in favor of the ballot initiative, well above the roughly 86,000 signatures needed to put the question before voters.

The marijuana measure asks voters to make pot possession legal in small amounts for adults over 21, without a doctor's recommendation. The measure would also direct lawmakers to put a steep excise tax on marijuana.

The state has 30 days to certify signatures and decide whether the pot measure will be on ballots. If approved, the marijuana question would be the first cleared for Colorado's 2012 election.

Last month, marijuana activists in Washington state turned in signatures for a ballot measure in that state. Washington authorities are still reviewing those signatures before it's cleared for the ballot.

Colorado is one of 16 states that allow marijuana with a doctor's recommendation. Late last month, Colorado also became the fourth state to ask the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration to reclassify marijuana in a way that allows doctors to prescribe it as a medical treatment.

Colorado's medical pot laws already conflict with federal drug law, which bans marijuana in all cases. But the state has stopped short of allowing marijuana for recreational use. A 2006 pot legalization measure on ballots failed badly.

The head of Colorado's pot campaign, Mason Tvert, said Tuesday that if the petition is successful, activists will start an education campaign to persuade voters it's time to enact a direct challenge to federal drug law.

"If this initiative passes, it will immediately remove the penalties for private adult marijuana possession, and we hope the federal government will allow Colorado to sensibly regulate it," Tvert said.

A spokesman for the national Marijuana Policy Project said more states than Colorado and Washington are likely to decide legalization on ballots this fall.

"There is definitely a national awakening going on about the harms of marijuana prohibition," said Morgan Fox, a spokesman for the MPP, a Washington, D.C.-based advocacy group that is the largest single contributor to the Colorado campaign.

Marijuana legalization will have opponents in Colorado, though. Republican Attorney General John Suthers has said it's a bad idea, and that pot legalization for adults would increase the drug's use among children.

Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper has not taken a position on the measure.

"You know, the voters voted on that a couple years ago, and it got voted down," Hickenlooper said in an interview last week with The Associated Press..

The governor concluded, "Before I come up with an opinion about that .. we're going to have to sit down and look at the facts."

95cc8_www_reformconference-239x130.png

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Summit Daily News (CO)
Copyright: 2012 Summit Daily News

No where in this petition is the word legalize or end prohibition written. This is a tax and regulate only has nothing to do with ending prosecution of people for possession or cultivation over a ounce or 6 plants. If you have 6 plants you will have more than a ounce in your possession once you harvest even one plant or at least I hope you would harvest more than one ounce. It does nothing to free individual that are jailed for doing or having what the new regulations suggests. This is a far cry from legalization and should really be read in whole or posted in whole for everyone to see what this really is before they vote for it. Just because they got this out first doesn't mean that it good for the movement and also the retail locations to obtain this from will be existing dispensaries that report all sales and buyer info directly to the department of revenues MMJ enforcement division which has more funding than the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. So as a citizen you go to a liquor store buy a 12 pack your info doesn't get released to nobody so why should it for marijuana if it is to be taxed and regulated like booze. Everything that goes to the DOR is then open to all law enforcement including Federal.

:peace:

Just because they got this out first doesn't mean that it good for the movement and also the retail locations to obtain this from will be existing dispensaries that report all sales and buyer info directly to the department of revenues MMJ enforcement division which has more funding than the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. So as a citizen you go to a liquor store buy a 12 pack your info doesn't get released to nobody so why should it for marijuana if it is to be taxed and regulated like booze. Everything that goes to the DOR is then open to all law enforcement including Federal.

Paragraph 5, Section C:
(c) IN ORDER TO ENSURE THAT INDIVIDUAL PRIVACY IS PROTECTED, NOTWITHSTANDING PARAGRAPH (a), THE DEPARTMENT SHALL NOT REQUIRE A CONSUMER TO PROVIDE A RETAIL MARIJUANA STORE WITH PERSONAL INFORMATION OTHER THAN GOVERNMENT-ISSUED IDENTIFICATION TO DETERMINE THE CONSUMER’S AGE, AND A RETAIL MARIJUANA STORE SHALL NOT BE REQUIRED TO ACQUIRE AND RECORD PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT CONSUMERS OTHER THAN INFORMATION TYPICALLY ACQUIRED IN A FINANCIAL TRANSACTION CONDUCTED AT A RETAIL LIQUOR STORE.

Personally I like it, but I live in a state where six plants gets you life in prison, so I'd like anything over going to prison for the rest of my life.

The problem with that is that everything is already linked directly to the DOR and dispensaries are required to show all sales and where those sales went that's why they have ID swipe readers. Answer this why are all of the dispensaries on board with this? They also will be required to track the purchase to ensure that you don't purchase more than a ounce from any one location. Unlike alcohol you can buy 20 cases of beer and 20 handles of Jack and nobody will stop you because it is legal get it. This amendment is not legalization and will stop any chance of legalization and also the politicians can and will do everything they can to screw it up just like they have done with amendment 20 of the Colorado State Constitution.

The problem with that is that everything is already linked directly to the DOR and dispensaries are required to show all sales and where those sales went that's why they have ID swipe readers. Answer this why are all of the dispensaries on board with this? They also will be required to track the purchase to ensure that you don't purchase more than a ounce from any one location. Unlike alcohol you can buy 20 cases of beer and 20 handles of Jack and nobody will stop you because it is legal get it. This amendment is not legalization and will stop any chance of legalization and also the politicians can and will do everything they can to screw it up just like they have done with amendment 20 of the Colorado State Constitution.
I'm not a lawyer so I don't want to steer anybody wrong, but it says the law authorizes a new type of retail sales facility called a "marijuana establishment" that is completely independent of mmj dispensaries. Nowhere in the proposed legislation could I find that you couldn't purchase more than one ounce on a given day, just that you couldn't purchase more than an ounce at a given time, so you could purchase, smoke it, and then purchase some more on the same day.

I really wasn't trying to rebuke your concerns, merely pointing out that from where I am standing, it looks like you got some hella "green" pastures coming your way to me if approved and I'm jealous. Another case in point, we have purchase restrictions on beer as well, can't remember the exact amounts because I don't drink often, but I think it is 2 cases and they don't swipe to keep up with it per day, just limit you at the time of purchase.

I wish it was that way but unfortunately its not. they will be using the MMC because it will take a while to set the regulations and by the time they do the MMC will have everything retrofitted to there system. I have quit a few friends that own MMC's and they are in the process of getting all this together that's why they are not fighting this because they are the ones that get first crack at this. The DOR is the one to regulate and they have said they will use the MMC model and would prefer to let them be the retail outlets since they are already set up the way they (DOR) want it. I can only hope for the best but living here and seeing what they have done with MMJ I can say from experience it is gonna be a cluster !@#@. I guess we will see what the people vote but I know I will vote no because it isn't true legalization and will block any path to get full legalization.

WOW! Come to GA and see what we have to deal with and you will not have a reason to squabble over details...holey crap!!!

If you have ANY quasi legal MJ at all! Just be proud of that, instead of complaining about the details of something most of us don't even get to have!

If y'all are looking for people to feel sorry for you in the MMJ states, your barking up the wrong tree!

I only wish we had an option to have a MMJ card, instead we get a lengthy prison sentence and a pair of blaze orange jumpers to go along with it!!!

What WE ALL need to focus on, is legalization on a FEDERAL level...then, we can all squabble over details...no sympathy here, for legal MMJ states!

Not looking for sympathy just pointing out that this ballot issue has nothing to do with legalization and the people that are pushing this should state that this is not a legalization effort. I wish and hope that the federal gov would end prohibition but I think that is a long ways away unfortunately. I do enjoy that we are a MMJ state but would prefer to just be a legal state for anyone over 18. My other point is people here in Colorado compromise and jump on bandwagons before they research and study all of the facts and this amendment will stall any legalization effort in the future. So don't fret 420 warrior I was asking for sympathy just putting out a other side to this issue because we all want the same thing full legalization and the right to do what you want to yourself and what you do in the privacy of your home or with friends of a common belief.

Not looking for sympathy just pointing out that this ballot issue has nothing to do with legalization and the people that are pushing this should state that this is not a legalization effort. I wish and hope that the federal gov would end prohibition but I think that is a long ways away unfortunately. I do enjoy that we are a MMJ state but would prefer to just be a legal state for anyone over 18. My other point is people here in Colorado compromise and jump on bandwagons before they research and study all of the facts and this amendment will stall any legalization effort in the future. So don't fret 420 warrior I was asking for sympathy just putting out a other side to this issue because we all want the same thing full legalization and the right to do what you want to yourself and what you do in the privacy of your home or with friends of a common belief.

Sorry, my friend but you have to look at these things from my/our eyes on issues like these.

Things like this are petty/minute in nature, when you think about the aspect of going to prison for what you guys just get carded for.

You still get to go home to your family, while we get to, get raped or killed!!

I know it's important to you that the laws are tweaked just right to suit your lifestyle but I see it as insensitive not to fight for the Fed level of reform so that these petty matters will have more barring on the matter.

I wish and hope that the federal gov would end prohibition but I think that is a long ways away unfortunately.

See? This is what I mean, This mind set should not exist anymore...this is 2012 and an election year, with a man that wants to legalize Marijuana on a federal level, on the ballot or at least running right now.

With all that has happened in the past few years, to get 16 states, to change their laws?

Why aren't we rallying to push it all the way to be regulated like alcohol and tobacco? I mean everybody!

I'm not bashing you, my friend, I'm just trying to get people to see a bigger picture, than a hand full of individual states...that's all....I'm just really passionate about this subject because of the "War Zone" I live in every day.

I love everyone here and I'll do all I can for anyone but I just want everyone to see things from the perspective, that not everyone here is, so fortunate, as to have legal MMJ in the first place!...some of us are just plane living in fear every time we go out to get our meds...Cool?

I would vote yes on full legalization and to reform all criminal penalties and exonerate any citizen that has been imprisoned for cultivation or possession of marijuana and also clear any criminal records for anyone that has one from a marijuana offense. I understand there needs to be some regulation but to hold people in prison after a legalization law was to be passed would be unconstitutional and unjust. If you read the whole proposal that we in Colorado will be voting for you will see the way it is written contradicts itself to the point of stupidity and a citizen that grows there own will never be in compliance and will face criminal prosecution. I carry a medical card so I can grow my own and have a constitutional protection by law because of what my doctor recommended for me to grow and possess. With this new proposal you won't have that protection. I am not new to this I have a felony conviction for cultivation in Nebraska from 1996 and that keeps me from even being employed as a grower for a MMC business or a owner of one. But at least I can grow my own and continue to do something i find peaceful and therapeutic and enjoy some of the best stuff around. I have had dispensaries ask me to trade with them since I can't grow for them I just tell them sorry you helped make these rules and I will not put my freedom at risk to help them procure fine herbs.
:smokin:

I would vote yes on full legalization and to reform all criminal penalties and exonerate any citizen that has been imprisoned for cultivation or possession of marijuana and also clear any criminal records for anyone that has one from a marijuana offense. I understand there needs to be some regulation but to hold people in prison after a legalization law was to be passed would be unconstitutional and unjust. If you read the whole proposal that we in Colorado will be voting for you will see the way it is written contradicts itself to the point of stupidity and a citizen that grows there own will never be in compliance and will face criminal prosecution. I carry a medical card so I can grow my own and have a constitutional protection by law because of what my doctor recommended for me to grow and possess. With this new proposal you won't have that protection. I am not new to this I have a felony conviction for cultivation in Nebraska from 1996 and that keeps me from even being employed as a grower for a MMC business or a owner of one. But at least I can grow my own and continue to do something i find peaceful and therapeutic and enjoy some of the best stuff around. I have had dispensaries ask me to trade with them since I can't grow for them I just tell them sorry you helped make these rules and I will not put my freedom at risk to help them procure fine herbs.
:smokin:

Now that is what I see too, my friend but I want that on the federal level :thumb:

Obama has backed away from the legalization movement as well as most other politicians facing re-election. If he was as in favor as people think then why is he letting Holder and his cronies do everything to stop it through backdoor policies. For instance they are using the IRS and the FDIC to shut down banking and go for tax fraud on all MMJ business in all 16 states. In Colorado all mmc have to use cash only no bank will let them open accounts because of the Fed. Also how come the Fed will collect tax revenue on payroll but not allow the businesses to open a bank account?

Now that is what I see too, my friend but I want that on the federal level :thumb:

There is nothing more I would love to see is full federal legalization and if the individual states can pass legalization laws that are really legalization laws then it will work. Quasi legal laws don't help they make things worse because politicians look at it as a joke and attorney generals fight it even harder.

one more tidbit for ya last year there were over 150,000 plus red card holders. This year they calculate there will only be 80,000 plus or minus also the DOR has over 600 mmc application for business and in one year they only granted 26 but took in millions of tax revenue and took 9mil from the registry to build there enforcement division and they have a larger payroll and force the the Colorado CBI that investigates murder, rape and much more serious crimes. Instead of making sure someone doesn't buy more than 2oz from more than one mmc in a 24hr period. Law enforcement here has 24hr access to video and real time transactions in the mmc. they can watch surveillance footage from there laptop watching a patient buy meds and know how much they bought. That's what the politicians did with our constitutional amendment 20 only after out of state interests came in and pushed dispensary models and cash to lobbyists and these are the same people that wrote this new proposal.

Well, I hope I am completely wrong and I will be the first one here to admit it if I am, but, I don't see full legalization on any level happening without a whole bunch of "baby steps" like this one along the way. I can see all points, and I concede this one isn't close to perfection, but it would be a milestone law that could open the eyes to the rest of the people, that it can generate revenue and everyone will not die of reefer madness because of it, life will go on despite being able to purchase pot in a store. Take CA and CO's current mmj laws, they aren't perfect either but they have lit the path for all others to follow and I think this law would do the same for retail sales.

Well, I hope I am completely wrong and I will be the first one here to admit it if I am, but, I don't see full legalization on any level happening without a whole bunch of "baby steps" like this one along the way. I can see all points, and I concede this one isn't close to perfection, but it would be a milestone law that could open the eyes to the rest of the people, that it can generate revenue and everyone will not die of reefer madness because of it, life will go on despite being able to purchase pot in a store. Take CA and CO's current mmj laws, they aren't perfect either but they have lit the path for all others to follow and I think this law would do the same for retail sales.

I agree with you there but it needs to be done right so politicians cant fuck it up.

I hope I didn't come off as a hater, earlier, I'm really not like that...I do have a great appreciation for the MMJ states, for at least getting the ball rolling towards the ultimate goal but I just cant stand petty squabbles over what is really nothing to a non-MMJ citizen.

Maybe it's jealousy or envy but I prefer to look at it as a cry for help from us, here in all the non-MMJ states.

I can't seem to get people here in my state to even listen to reason...I even mean MJ smokers, that have everything to loose, will not listen to me on this issue. WHY?

For once, I'd like to be Hawking for my news articles and stumble on an article that reads; "New Marijuana Dispensary Opening In Atlanta"

Can y'all dig my frustration guy's? Do y'all feel my pain? FEAR SUCKS!!!

I don't feel you came over that way. Everybody that wants to see full legalization is passionate in this war to get legalization passed. I moved to Colorado to be close to my kids but the fact that I could grow and be legel helped my desicion to move here from Nebraska where it has a zero tolerance stance on cannibas. The south is tough because of the religous beliefs and convictions also it is is strong right politics not very many liberal or libritarian political bases to help the movement. I understand exactley where you come from I lived it myself and had my freedom taken from me and still have things not avbailable to me even after I paid my debt to society and did my time over 15yrs ago. Someday if you come to Colorado maybe we will be fortunate to cross paths and sit and partake legally as citizens of the USA with no fear of prosectution or be ridiculed by our peers.

I don't feel you came over that way. Everybody that wants to see full legalization is passionate in this war to get legalization passed. I moved to Colorado to be close to my kids but the fact that I could grow and be legel helped my desicion to move here from Nebraska where it has a zero tolerance stance on cannibas. The south is tough because of the religous beliefs and convictions also it is is strong right politics not very many liberal or libritarian political bases to help the movement. I understand exactley where you come from I lived it myself and had my freedom taken from me and still have things not avbailable to me even after I paid my debt to society and did my time over 15yrs ago. Someday if you come to Colorado maybe we will be fortunate to cross paths and sit and partake legally as citizens of the USA with no fear of prosectution or be ridiculed by our peers.

Good debate is healthy, my friend and I welcome it...thanks for your understanding :thanks::Namaste:

No doubt, the thought is on my mind to move but the roots are very strong here.

I've been weighing the odds of moving to CA but it will be a decision that I will not make lightly.

I wonder how well my southern charm would fair working for a dispensary?
I certainly have the compassion and passion for it...I think?

Hmmm! Hard decision!? :peace:

Back
Top Bottom