Colorado: University Of Denver Adds Professor Of Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

A University of Denver law professor will devote his time and resources toward the development of marijuana law and policy.

It may be the first pot professorship in the world, DU officials say.

DU's Sturm College of Law announced Monday that it has received a $45,000 commitment from Denver law firm Vicente Sederberg LLC, which represents clients in the cannabis industry, to enable one faculty member to serve as the Vicente Sederberg Professor of Marijuana Law and Policy.

"This was a very personal decision for me and my firm," said Brian Vicente, whose firm has been a leader in marijuana policy reform.

Vicente attended DU's law school on a full merit scholarship and was encouraged by his professors, he said, to pursue drug policy reform.

"I want to give back to the university who supported me," he said.

DU law professor Sam Kamin, who has been working on marijuana law reform for about six years, will head up the marijuana policy program. The position is funded for three years with the option to renew.

Vicente said he believes this to be the first professorship of its kind in the world. DU's dean of law, Martin Katz, approached Vicente's firm about creating the new position.

"Our state and our school are poised to take a leadership position in this important new area of law and policy," Katz said. "The rest of the country is watching. We need to do this right."

Katz said he was proud of pioneering work done by DU graduates at Vicente Sederberg.
"And we are honored to name a professorship for them, which will be held by Professor Sam Kamin, the nation's foremost authority in this field," he said.

Vicente described Katz as forward thinking and looking for ways to attract new law students and drug policy reform is one of those areas, he said.

"As the marijuana industry expands in Colorado and around the nation and the world, there is a growing need for attorneys qualified to represent business owners," Vicente said. "With the launch of this professorship, Sturm College of Law will be taking the lead in providing law students the training they need to enter this new field."

Kamin, who has been at DU since 1999, said the field of drug policy reform wouldn't exist if not for the work by Vincente Sederberg.

"They have been leaders and innovators who have quite literally changed the national conversation through their work," he said.

Kamin said the professorship will allow him to share what he's learned in the past six years.
"It will support research and writing on these important topics and will help ensure that Colorado, Denver, and DU remain at the center of this important national debate," he said.

24186.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: University of Denver adds professor of pot - Denver Business Journal
Author: Monica Mendoza
Photo Credit: Wikipedia

Back
Top Bottom