Colorado's Marijuana Mess

State lawmakers shouldn't kid themselves about the looming fork in the road for medical marijuana, or the inescapable tradeoffs.

On the one hand, they can pass some version of Denver Sen. Chris Romer's plan to provide state licenses to marijuana dispensaries and growers. But if do, they'll solidify a marijuana industry that serves not only a rapidly growing number of genuine patients but many recreational-minded frauds as well. And Colorado will have created, in one fell swoop, a class of potentially influential marijuana entrepreneurs.

Or, lawmakers can elect to return to the medical marijuana model that Colorado followed before this year's explosion of retail dispensaries (brought about in part by a change in federal enforcement policy). If they take this path, the industry will once again sink below the public's radar as dispensaries disappear. Meanwhile, however, hundreds and maybe thousands of legitimate patients who swear by marijuana's effectiveness will be forced into an anxious world where they secure their pain or nausea relief from unregulated strangers.

As the debate sharpens, advocates on either side will deny this tradeoff exists. Some will claim that the previous system worked just fine and that dispensaries cater to a clientele that for the most part is gaming the system. Their opponents, meanwhile, will pack hearing rooms with patients relating poignant stories of their suffering before dispensaries emerged, while insisting that a well-written law will screen out bad actors.

Neither side's claims are fully believable.

Romer is determined to limit fraud, for example, by nudging the state toward a medical model of dispensing marijuana. His bill refers to marijuana "clinics," and defines a "bona fide physician-patient relationship" as one in which doctors complete "a full assessment of the registered patient's medical history and current medical condition, including a personal physical examination." In an effort to limit conflicts of interest, the senator also would bar physicians from owning clinics or receiving payments from them.

While that might clean up the business a bit, it can't possibly eliminate abuse. Doctors who hadn't bothered with a physical exam of patients seeking a marijuana permit will now resign themselves to a cursory one of a few minutes. This is hardly an unbearable cross for a physician dedicated for whatever reason to qualify as many medical marijuana applicants as he can.

And if the state tries to pile additional requirements on doctors, it will run smack against the terms of voter-passed Amendment 20.

The deeper obstacle to the clinical model is that although doctors authorize medical marijuana use, it's patients and caregivers – typically boasting about as much clinical experience as the average shoe salesman – who decide on the "dosage" and how to ingest it. Romer would offer chiropractors, nurses, physical therapists and optometrists a shortcut to treating medical-marijuana patients, but for everyone who turns, say, to a nurse there will be someone else choosing to graze at the smorgasbords in places like the Ganja Gourmet, which opened recently on South Broadway. A restaurant model, anyone?

The choice is clear: Lawmakers deeply disturbed about fraud should make it hard on dispensaries. Those more concerned about patient access to marijuana should allow dispensaries to flourish.

And both sides should admit that any solution will be messy.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Denver Post
Author: Vincent Carroll
Copyright: 2009 The Denver Post

Maybe they should just quit trying to control. It's a lot less messy.

Land of the free and all that.

That last sentence made me howl. The illusion is so sad that it makes me laugh uncontrollably, and then cry when I realize just how sad the situation really is.

The dispensing of Marijuana should be done by the entrepreneurs that are in America. We exist today in a slow economy, a "free market system" with taxation, of Medical Marijuana would put large sums of money in the hands of the people. Why regulate it strictly and put more money into the hands of the Pharmaceutical companies and random government agencies? The money should go into the hands of small businesses. Taxing marijuana would hopefully put more money into the government agencies that have the interests of the public sector in mind.

We have to take a step back and look at this situation seriously though. Unbaisly i would have to disagree and say to promote a "Free Market System" we do have to give the money to the small bussiness, but in the end they will be swallowed up by 4 domminant economic powers, with the reality we face now with things such as deliberation (congress should be informed and debate bills instead of childishly try to fillibuster), it is the American People who suffer. The common Bussiness man for the welfare of people, moves up from middle class to wealthy, the workers from lower to middle; then the good intentioned bussiness owner gets offered 10 times the companies yearly spending, and is pretty much forced to accept or face the consiquences of standing up to corporations like Netscape did to Microsoft. Then the bussiness man is in the middle of the upper class, which is great if you look at from where He/She came from finacially, but The effect is what we've seen throughout history; the workers who now had the opportunity to manage individual clinics, that are part of the larger organization, and provide jobs for people to help them off S.S, MC, etc... are in the same spot they were, but jobless and owing payments they can't afford anymore (with the newly employed persons increasing unemployment on top of the other; it's at approximitely 10% now[bussiness think 10 years]). This is just the reality of looking at this to purely gain profit. If your in favor of having sickening excess amounts of money that put you in the position of wanting to persue this as a bussiness exploration, I hope you got the irony of the first part of this sentance and will think for 10 seconds about it. but it needs to be discussed, deliberated, and appointed to a system of checks and balances which we all would take part in. I want medicine to progress. I don't want people abusing peoples problems like we've seen in the schools with ADHD and amphedamines increasing from -500,000 prescriptions in '93 to + 8 million in 2000 (just through "educating" teachers and giving schools more money for kids with disabilitys). Band as one. We have ambition for greatness, and greatness sits in front of us all. Any person can pick up the tools but they would eventually get tired, for once in history I hope we can come up with the thought of holding on and actually build something solid with the restricted time we have.
------------------------------
Never can be sure i just wanted to make sure it was noted in at least two posting. So you don't have to read that last part, even if you are checking the vailidilty of this comment because i reserve my 1st amendment right to freedom of speech and it'll just be a waste of time...but just in case...

(All content is Strictly Opinion, and is not ment to offend any person on a public domain site, and is not a statement to undermine the 1st amendment right of the people to be given true info by the press, for i am not the press, or to asociated with in regards to information.)

MMJemulation, you may have misunderstood what I meant to say. I am definately for a free market system. I don't know if you saw this piece Mother and Son Growing Medical Marijuana in Southern Colorado. This mother and son small business is the model we need to have flourish in order to keep the money in a community of people who want this Medical Marijuana Movement proliferated.
These small businesses will only be swallowed up by larger business if the owners allow them to. Which why we need to band together and put someone who firmly believes in the Medical Marijuana Movement at the head of these small businesses.
However, the biggest barrier to this pro green entrepreneurship is purely political. A great way to ease the burden on these entrepreneurs is to garner the support of three different groups. First, you need strong support from the public sector (Medical Marijuana Patients). After organizing a strong base in the public sector we need to gain the support of lawyers and polititians. Using lawyers and polititans we can enact serious changes--which we have already in many states. Finally we have to have some kind of protection by the federal government, hopefully something better than a promise not to raid Medical Marijuana disepensaries.
If every entrepreneur were like the Irwins from the article then it would seem that we have a bright future. However, not all entrepreneurs are like that--in fact, most are not. There are plenty of entrepreneurs out there looking to make a lot of money and could care less about the health and well-being of the truly sick patients in need of the medicine they provide. That is NOT something I want to have happen. So MMJemulator, you are completely correct when saying that there needs to be a checks and balances system to regulate these entrepreneurs. But, that system should NOT be created by lawyers or politician, it should be created by the people who need the medicine along with unbiased doctors (hard to find).
Chances are a big corporation has already planned for the fact that medical marijuana will be considered legal in most of the 50 states in the next 3-5 years and already has plans to conquer the market. Hopefully that doesn't happen. Hopefully people will stand up against this and boycott their product.

Absolutely correct 420 Tri,,I think it should be kept between caregiver and patient myself...But then i'm both,,lol :roorrip:

I do not see the problem? So what is some lie to get medical Cannabis; what have you lost? Well one thing you have lost is respect for the law but that has been lost because of the foolish laws they attempt to uphold and they can't even stop them selves from using it on the job. What you have gained is a peaceful person getting high on good clean inspected cannabis which may not have been so clean if he bought it on the street. The jails have one less person we have to pay for. On the other hand we do not want those in pain and other medical users to be without their medicine and force them back to the bad old days of buying dope on the street. The sick people MUST be a Priority in a situation like this.
It comes down to the same old question-"Where is the harm?"

Opening a dispensary should be no more difficult than opeing an expresso shop. But government always wants to control, and by control they can decide who should make money and who shouldn't.

Opening a dispensary takes the intimacy away between caregivers and patients needs, By that, I mean knowing what the patient really needs in a medical way..Thats only my opinion though... :roorrip:

If I were to open a dispensary--which I may do-- I would have a caregiver system. If they wanted to, patients could come in and see a "counselor" whose job it would be to confidentially discuss the patients needs. The counselor could even suggest alternate means of medicating (not strictly marijuana).

Good thinking 420 Tri..:roorrip:

I completely agree Triathlete, some of that post got deleted (^^ can't talk about afghan and other things i guess) but im in the same boat you are. I fear a free market when the big corporations are "Too big to Fail". Most of American's belive what we do about small bussiness, but they are put under economic conditions that force, or take-away, their ability to base what they purchase on moral. Merry X-mas (Ima Read the article and might post more thanks!)

Back
Top Bottom