Cooler extraction with alcohol?

Zimbo 63

Hi all

My lungs are old and tired and smoking messes with my breathing sometimes so I don't smoke as often as I once did.

I am using 95% food quality alcohol to extract, and I have built myself a sort of condenser because the alcohol is expensive, around $40 a bottle. So I'm trying to figure a cooler way to get the oil out of the alcohol, the logic being, that I will lose less alcohol the cooler I work.

Here is the thing, alcohol and water are what is known as miscible liquids which mean that they combine to form a "solution" that is less than the sum of it's two parts.

In the case of water and alcohol, the volume is around 3% less than it should be in a 50/50 mix.

The question I have is; what effect does water have on alcohol that is saturated with cannabis oil?

Or maybe the question is, how does saturation with cannabis oil affect it's miscibility with water?

Which ever way it's asked, does the idea have promise, cannabis oil is not soluble in water so will it come out of solution?

Any takers?

I'm not flush with product that I can afford to do trial and error tests, so I figured I'd post the question and find the answer from some armchair chemist that trolls the forums.

I have cold extraction filters, but getting a teaspoonful of oil takes long enough for the water to start stinking, literally took a week + WOW!!!!

I'm tryng to build a hand operated centrifuge to speed that up. Yikes.

Be well all.

Yes, you will have water in your solution, to some extent. However, if you then decarb the resulting oil, you will boil off any water left. Water vaporizes at 212F (100c), THCA decarbs to THC at 220F (105c). So, if you decarb for the recommended 30-40 minutes, and wait for all those little bubbles to stop, you'll have gotten rid of the remaining water.

Also, I wouldn't really worry about the water unless there is so much of it that you dip below the saturation point of the THC/Alcohol, so they they become immiscible.

Back
Top Bottom