COPD, Asthma, Bronchitis and Marijuana Therapy

Most states with legal marijuana include spasm diseases such as asthma as acceptable for a legal permit. I had at least one hundred of my 4000 who had diagnosed asthma.

I was perplexed about this because many patients complained that inhaling marijuana smoke caused irritation and coughing.

If MJ causes those two effects how could it give relief for asthma patients who are highly sensitive to irritating fumes and dust and even cold weather? However it does!

After interviewing 4 thousand or maybe 5 thousand patients I came to the conclusion that if a patient told me MJ gave relief for a certain disease it must be so.

After all they were paying about $300 for the PRIVELEGE of using a medication which gave relief. This marijuana therapeutics business has been a real mind blowing experience.

I had been led to believe that MJ was very addictive, very harmful and it even caused all sorts of harmful and even illegal actions by users including rape, murder and God knows what else. Well I found out that this was all federally funded B.S. propaganda.

Between asthma patients, I felt that it might be effective for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, known simply as COPD, and its usual accompanying chronic bronchitis. I went to my computer and also to my Merck manual, sure enough these three conditions are not only inter-related but COPD, asthma and chronic bronchitis can occur together or in any combination.

I knew from my Army experience where cigarettes were 5 cents a pack and all the 18 to 20 year old soldiers had to assert and prove their manhood by smoking as many of these cheap "coffin nails" and that there was a future relationship with lung cancer and COPD.

None of my Veteran patients ever came in with a diagnosis of COPD but in retrospect that is most likely what it was and I probably had no less than 1000 COPD Veterans in my patient list. Many were carrying oxygen tanks with tubing and masks, etc.

COPD by definition is chronic obstruction/constriction of the respiratory passages. There must be some smooth muscle there which responds to the smooth muscle antispasmodic action of marijuana.

At any rate marijuana gives relief for asthma and probably most cases of COPD and bronchitis.

With about 16 million cases of COPD per year and about 100 thousand deaths it seems reasonable that MJ should be considered as medication at least it should get them OFF legal but lethal tobacco cigarettes.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Salem-News.com
Author: Dr. Phil Leveqeu
Copyright: 2009 Salem-News.com

Back
Top Bottom