Could Legal California Pot Send Canadian Profits Up In Smoke?

MedicalNeed

A looming referendum in California on whether to legalize marijuana has fuelled a debate among bloggers and pundits over this question: Could legalization in the United States cripple the Canadian economy?

In a column on the Guardian's website this week, B.C. writer Douglas Haddow writes that a move to legalization would be ``devastating to the Canadian economy, halting the flow of billions of dollars from the U.S. into Canada.''

B.C. marijuana activist Marc Emery - the self-styled ``Prince of Pot'' who is awaiting sentencing in the U.S. for distributing cannabis seeds - recently told a Vancouver indie website that ``the homegrown market will evaporate.''

Are they just blowing smoke? Not necessarily, some academics say.

Marijuana production generates at least $3 to $4 billion in B.C. alone - due, in large part, to heavy demand from pot heads south of the border, said Darryl Plecas a criminology professor at the University of the Fraser Valley in Abbotsford, B.C.

Plecas said he estimates that about 70 per cent of all marijuana produced in B.C. is sent to the U.S. and much of it goes to California.

"(Producers) are probably frantically looking where they can ship it to'' besides California, he said.

Eugene Oscapella, a criminology lecturer at the University of Ottawa and founding member of the Canadian Foundation for Drug Policy, said there is no doubt that if California legalizes marijuana, producers there will be able to sell the product more cheaply - thus making it difficult for producers here to compete and driving some out of business.

"Increased availability for a lesser price in that country will have an effect on suppliers in Canada,'' he said.

Of particular concern, he said, are the mom-and-pop producers in rural parts of B.C. who turned to marijuana as a way to make ends meet after the forest industry declined.

Other observers, however, are more circumspect about how crippling legalization would be for Canadian producers, pointing out that ``B.C. Bud'' still enjoys a reputation in many circles as ``the Rolls-Royce'' of marijuana and that there are many other U.S. states - besides California - that covet Canadian-grown marijuana.

Also, Mexico, which exports far more pot to California than Canada, would probably be stung a lot harder, they say.

Even as the Canadian dollar has appreciated - making Canadian-grown marijuana much more expensive for Americans to buy - the industry has continued to thrive, said Stephen Easton, a professor of economics at Simon Fraser University in B.C. and a senior fellow at the Fraser Institute.

"It's a very resilient industry and very adaptive,'' he said.

Chuck Doucette, a retired RCMP staff sergeant who specialized in drug enforcement, adds the black-market exchange of Canadian marijuana for U.S. cash and c*caine is so ``thoroughly entrenched'' that it is unlikely that those lines will disappear overnight.

The California marijuana initiative is headed to a vote in November. Even if it passes, it is likely that it will go through a series of court challenges, experts say.

An Angus Reid poll earlier this year showed that 53 per cent of Canadians favor legalizing marijuana - regulating and taxing it like alcohol and tobacco.

Supporters say they hope passage of the initiative in California will create a domino effect that leads to more lax pot laws in other parts of the U.S. and in Canada.

In addition to raising huge amounts of tax revenue, legalization would severely undercut organized crime groups and free up police resources to tackle more serious crimes, they say.

Marijuana and c*caine are consistently reported to be the illicit drugs most frequently trafficked by organized crime groups, according to annual RCMP reports assessing the drug situation in Canada.

But opponents of legalization say widespread use of marijuana could lead to use of more dangerous drugs, worsen addiction problems and send mixed messages to young people about drug use.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservative government has repeatedly said it has no intention of decriminalizing or legalizing marijuana.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source:Canada.com
Author: Douglas Quan, Postmedia News
Copyright:2010 Postmedia News
Website:Could legal California pot send Canadian profits up in smoke?

looks like the pros outweigh the cons
Pros:
"In addition to raising huge amounts of tax revenue, legalization would severely undercut organized crime groups and free up police resources to tackle more serious crimes, they say.

Marijuana and c*caine are consistently reported to be the illicit drugs most frequently trafficked by organized crime groups, according to annual RCMP reports assessing the drug situation in Canada."

lets add reduced costs in housing prisioners

Cons:
"But opponents of legalization say widespread use of marijuana could lead to use of more dangerous drugs, worsen addiction problems and send mixed messages to young people about drug use."
sounds pretty weak next to the crime & violence - a few more PPL might use pot. and yet they ignore those very same issues with tobbacco & alcohol (not 2 mention perscription meds) because....:tommy:
why add 1 more substance to the problem????? Those things are already legal????

death, crime, ruined lives, famlies destroyed, bankrupt states vs. freedom, sanity, and a couple more potheads, coins in the community chest.

which math class did our government take? Theres more going on....im sure its control of the commercial industry, then look out!

How can the mom and pop's compete with big business? I read somewhere that RJ Reynolds is already poised to grab up a bunch of land.

@Mama Train Drum roll was funny. LOL. :biglaugh:

I think it will help their seed economy ! Once it's legal in Ca, more people will want to grow there own , and will buy seeds from the established suppliers ! Treat your customers right and they will return !!

I definitely think it will be good as well and am for legalization. I'm just saying what's to stop the Walmarts and RJ Reynolds and Big Pharma from coming in and taking over?

Fuck em Just grow your own or buy from someone who does ! You'll probably be healthier for it !!

I definitely think it will be good as well and am for legalization. I'm just saying what's to stop the Walmarts and RJ Reynolds and Big Pharma from coming in and taking over?

I look at it like this...

big alcohol (belgium-busch) can make the swill the masses drink (and I do if I'm broke) but if I got the $$$, I wll spend more for a good craft brew (Long Trail, sam adams, opa-opa, etc) or, sometimes I brew my own, for the best beer...

rjr can produce the schwag for the people that cannot or don't want to grow,, the smaller (but better) growers will fill the niche market, like the micro-brewers,,, and then the home growers will grow their own....

That makes sense.

Necessity is the mother of invention and always has been. This is nothing new. We'll just figure it out. Let the big guys do their thing, and like Herb Zen said "the smaller (but better) growers will fill the niche market, like the micro-brewers,,, and then the home growers will grow their own."

Believe me there is a large niche market revolving around Cannabis and we'll figure it out.

So you guys going to pay the 50 dollar an ounce tax for weed you grow yourselves? That's why only big business will be growing it in 10 years. Why don't people grow there own tobacco? It is a pain to grow and cure but it really is the taxes. Same with alcohol. Some people do make their own but it is few and far between. Do you know anyone who brews their own beer that sends a check to the state for the taxes due on it? The last soil plant i harvested had 6.5 OZ's on in it. That is 300+ bucks in taxes. I don't want to have to pay that. I won't pay that.

WOW. Yeah that DEFINITELY sucks. I'm wondering how they're going to enforce that though. Maybe that's one of the reasons it's remained illegal all these years. Are they going to bust everybody that doesn't pay taxes?

The taxes would be on comercial producers and retail, not on your home grown stash...

same as alcohol,, you can brew up to 15 gal/yr (although I do brew more than that) no taxes due... if I was to sell it though,, that is a whole different story,, and I would be subject to all sorts of taxes and regulations... and if you think 50.00/oz will be bad at a retial level.. look at Mass's MJ bill...

150.00/oz tax for schwag,, (THC 0.1% to 4.99%)
200.00/oz tax for middies (THC 5.0% to 9.99%)
250.00/oz tax for dank (THC 10.0% and up)

now that is a BS greedy tax..lol,, I would gladly pay 50.00/oz tax at retail

Back
Top Bottom