Couple of questions on first grow

bambamcc

1. Can or has anyone grown in a cold cellar? Temp in summer is around 10-17 degrees humidity 50%+

2. Thinking about a bucket grow or in a large brute trash can like 50 gallon. Any concerns?

3. I've purchased a fabric pot 7 gallon with a 5 bulb splitter and have 10 cfl bulbs 5 for veg and 5 for flower (6500-2700). 100 watt equivalents. Missing anything? I bought a couple cpu fans also.

Some strains will handle that temp but will be a slow grower.

A large bucket like that might be over kill unless you beg for a few months.

If you're going to go up to 7 gallons you'll really need more than cfls, I'd go 600 Watts hps or led for that size cfls wont cunt it.

Some strains will handle that temp but will be a slow grower.

A large bucket like that might be over kill unless you beg for a few months.

If you're going to go up to 7 gallons you'll really need more than cfls, I'd go 600 Watts hps or led for that size cfls wont cunt it.

I'm thinking the CFLs will heat the bucket another 5 degrees or so bringing me to the 20 degree range. I'm talking Celsius btw so around 60-70 F

5 CFLs is not enough for one plant?

5 CFLs won't be enough for 1 plant vegged long enough to make use of even a 10gal bucket. You're looking at a MONSTER to make any kind of use out of a bucket the size you're talking about using. A 5 gal is more than sufficient for a plant about (correct me if I'm wrong folks) 1 meter tall., And there's no way 10 CFLs are going to come anywhere near covering that.

5 CFLs won't be enough for 1 plant vegged long enough to make use of even a 10gal bucket. You're looking at a MONSTER to make any kind of use out of a bucket the size you're talking about using. A 5 gal is more than sufficient for a plant about (correct me if I'm wrong folks) 1 meter tall., And there's no way 10 CFLs are going to come anywhere near covering that.

I'm using a 7 gallon fabric pot but was going to grow in an enclosure within my cellar. The enclosed is a brute trash can.

Ahhh, ok that might work then. I think we got a bit confused. That may work. But heat will certainly be an issue, you'll definitely need some CPU fans. I'm a little bit out of my league with micro grows. Not at all my specialty so I'll have to bow out. Sorry I couldn't be much help.

1. Can or has anyone grown in a cold cellar? Temp in summer is around 10-17 degrees humidity 50%+

2. Thinking about a bucket grow or in a large brute trash can like 50 gallon. Any concerns?

3. I've purchased a fabric pot 7 gallon with a 5 bulb splitter and have 10 cfl bulbs 5 for veg and 5 for flower (6500-2700). 100 watt equivalents. Missing anything? I bought a couple cpu fans also.

Hi bambam. Your thinking along the lines of a space bucket /micro grow. These can be lots of fun and rewarding. There are lots of people that like to trash the whole concept but I'm a fan. I have several units based on 5 gal buckets using 2gal fabric pots that have worked well for me in a basement with similar ambient conditions to yours. My seedling bucket is heated, the veg buckets I run the light cycle at night to help minimize the overall temperature differential, flower run during the day to maximize temp. diff. Check out some other members work here:
Show off your spacebucket!
Rule of thumb for pot size is 1 gal/ft of plant. A 7 gal pot is a good sized plant. Your brute will hold it with topping/training and good airflow. The CFLs will grow a plant don't get me wrong. But your going to wish you had more output in flower when it's all said and done. (Been there, done that.) White led lights are your best $ invested. Either a cob or qb format would be my personal recommendation.

TLDR: yup it'll work but there are ways to do it a little bit better

Thanks for the info everyone. Hmm on lighting.... perhaps I can supplement with led tape light? Or some of those high power CFLs? 200watt etc?

My main concern is temp. Hoping the brute can will insulate the heat the bulbs give off a bit.

Both are viable lighting options. With a trash can container you can actually run a pretty good sized plug n play light from any number of manufactures. I would suggest a smaller container somewhere warmer to get it past the seedling stage before subjecting it to 15° temps and do a little research into the lighting that's available before you get to flower.

Back
Top Bottom