Cutting Fan Leaves?

SouthernSkunk

Hey everyone I was wondering my plant is about 20 inches tall and a week in to flowering I just recently cut 2 fans off of it"In theory I tought that it would help get more light to the lower leaves" is this true that it will work that way or did I just send my plant into cardiac arrest.Please help any knowledge of what I really need to be doing to it now would help to with this being my first grow.Thanks

I agree...unless your plant has lower leaves that have been used for nutes and are in need of removal...than I wouldn't remove any leaves until your alittle further along....I would recommend side lighting for the darker spots...

The leaves act as the "lungs" of the plant and when you cut them off you are making it harder for them to breathe.

You can LST train or bend the leaves down to let more light to get to the buds but you should never cut them unless they show signs disease, then you should cut them to keep from contaminating the rest of the plant.

I have to disagree i believe there is no bad effect from removing fans, removing fans this early in flowering will stunt the stretch that you would normaly get so if your ladies are to tall, this is a good move if you was hoping for more stretch bad move.

I agree with Hipsterdoofus that fans are the factory and store energy for plants to grow, but as you are still feeding your ladies they are getting a direct spike of everything they need from your medium, leaving very little use for the LARGER fan's. I have seen lots and lots of to shelf growers testing this thoery latley and all come to the same conclusion, better light penatration to lower growth giving you less popcorn and more dense nugs having a great effect on your overall yeild.

Chop any fans with stems over 1.5 inches that are covering bud sites, once you get to the end of the plants life and begin to flush you want to insure there are enough large fans for your girls to feed off intill then there costing you precious G's

:xmas:
GS

Here is a perfect example of plant minipulation to produce larger buds.

Before defoliation
002_sog_d27f.JPG

After defoliation
012_sog_d27f.JPG

Check out the journal here amazing work.

Personally, I have seen the buds suffer from removing leaves because it seems that the buds loose something when the leaves are removed at the limb that the buds are growing on.

Everyone has their own way and what ever you decide works best for you then do it.

I can see how in a SOG setting this would be beneficial because the plants are so packed tightly together that extra leaves will prevent RH from being blown away by your fan but in a setting where your plants are kept separated, you may do more harm than good by removing lower fans.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the fan leaves help the adjacent limbs uptake nutes and those fans are there to keep those budding limbs healthy...am I right?

Good point worrior, I am yet to defoliate in flower only in veg and I didn't see any bad effects from doing so. In all the experiments iv seen they have been in sog and on a scrog 4twenty4all's grow and all seemed to be massively beneficial from doing so. Only leaves that are blocking bud sites are removed lower and a couple of top fans are left.

I'm not sure about the last point you made but I will research into it as this is a subject I am realy interested learning more about. When I first started growing I had the same views never remove health leaves, I sat on the fence for a wile, then started reading more into it and couldn't believe results others were getting. After experimenting I become a true believer in defoliation at correct intervals in the plants life.

Be good if another member could chime in with another view.

:peace:

Good point worrior, I am yet to defoliate in flower only in veg and I didn't see any bad effects from doing so. In all the experiments iv seen they have been in sog and on a scrog 4twenty4all's grow and all seemed to be massively beneficial from doing so. Only leaves that are blocking bud sites are removed lower and a couple of top fans are left.

I'm not sure about the last point you made but I will research into it as this is a subject I am realy interested learning more about. When I first started growing I had the same views never remove health leaves, I sat on the fence for a wile, then started reading more into it and couldn't believe results others were getting. After experimenting I become a true believer in defoliation at correct intervals in the plants life.

Be good if another member could chime in with another view.

:peace:

It's good to have many different methods for growing because the experimentation leads you figuring out better and better ways of growing and therefor teaching others to produce better and better buds.

If everyone grew the same way, we would not have things like auto-flowering and feminized varieties, needless to say, it would be boring at best.

Thank's GodSpeed for giving your views on this subject and for being open minded to others views as well, that's what it's all about my friend.

Some people are only one sided and think they have all the answers but you are willing to receive info as well as give it and that's a great trait my brother...keep it up :welldone:

I wish everyone was so open minded :Namaste:

I will post pics and keep everyone updated on my plant as soon as I get my WiFi working right But heres the DL on my plant I started it in a lil ------------ system I had made and seemed to work really good untill I changed my water one day and over nute then some of the leaves started diein out and yellowing so I took a chance and switched it to soil Miricale-Gro to be exact.The plant when I put it in was about 12" tall and Icut some dying fans off and it left about 3 sets on it within the week I had done this it jumped up to about 15" and all the yellowing was gone other than just a few of the smaller leaves on it.That was 2 weeks ago I started Flowering exactly a week after the switch and it just keeps growing:thumb:But was just wondering if I was hurting it or helping it because it really didnt seem to make a diffrence.Im only growing this one at the time "and its a bag seed" really just to see if I could grow it but I have some Grandaddy Purp. seed.

You actually did right by taking off the dead and dying leaves because they are totally useless and will only create disease on the long run :goodjob::welldone:

Contrary to popular belief, I think "bag seed" is certainly the way to go when you first start growing because first; You were already getting that bag to smoke anyway so the seeds are just a bonus and second, you didn't spend a boatload on seeds just to kill them trying to learn how to grow so props on that too :goodjob:

The only thing is that you said you had Granddaddy purp seed's? From what I've recently learned and someone correct me if I'm wrong but that is a clone only strain and seeds are just not available to obtain.

That isn't to say what you have isn't some kind of purp seed though, just not GDP

Hope all this helps and God bless :Namaste:

You will get people w/ very strong opinions both ways. I have seen lots of people doing more and more defoliation lately with some outstanding results. Your plant must be getting constant food and must have good root mass and good health to benefit from removing fans. Fans can also be removed to encourage side branching and slow down vertical growth, it's not just about getting light to the bud sites.

You will get people w/ very strong opinions both ways. I have seen lots of people doing more and more defoliation lately with some outstanding results. Your plant must be getting constant food and must have good root mass and good health to benefit from removing fans. Fans can also be removed to encourage side branching and slow down vertical growth, it's not just about getting light to the bud sites.

This is so cool, I lust love learning new things.

Not long ago everyone was saying it was taboo to trim healthy leaves but my how the times are changing.

See, this is what I'm talking about, when I rant and rave about the people here at :420:

Other sites will treat you like a dumb a$$ for trying to give advice that they don't necessarily believe in; but here? we teach each other and take care of one another like no other place on the net...you just gotta' :love: that! :high-five:

:420: JUST FREAKIN ROCKS!!!

This is so cool, I lust love learning new things.

Not long ago everyone was saying it was taboo to trim healthy leaves but my how the times are changing.

See, this is what I'm talking about, when I rant and rave about the people here at :420:

Other sites will treat you like a dumb a$$ for trying to give advice that they don't necessarily believe in; but here? we teach each other and take care of one another like no other place on the net...you just gotta' :love: that! :high-five:

:420: JUST FREAKIN ROCKS!!!

Hey thanks and thanks for telling me about the seeds to Im new to the growing scene and the seeds are some strain of purp then my bad but thnks agin. The fan I cut were ones that were burnt from nutes but it seemed to do a whole lot for the lower branches when I cut the fans but didnt seem to stunt its growth so thats why I decide to cut another set lastnight So I guess im going to continue to do so every so often this ones going to the chopping block for the sake of new and old growers alike Thanks Everybody on all the comments:bravo:

Back
Top Bottom