DARE To Think Differently

PFlynn

The DARE program has been around for more than 20 years and in that time, drug use among Canadian teens has nearly quadrupled. I think it is because DARE relies heavily on fear-mongering and exaggerations rather than science and fact.

Sending in cops to teach kids about drugs is like sending in a priest to teach them about sex; "Just don't do it, mister, or you'll be in big trouble."

One thing that really bothers me is the way police exaggerate and misrepresent the so-called dangers of marijuana use and downplay it's many documented medical applications ( for example, recent science out of Germany shows how cannabinoids stimulate the body's production of TIMP-1, which helps healthy cells resist cancer invasion.

Pot Slows Cancer in Test Tube )

The DARE approach fosters discrimination against marijuana users, even federally licensed medical marijuana users like me and my wife. In a just society, this sort of government-sponsored hate crime wouldn't be allowed.

Even the dullest kids catch on quickly that it is the police and their prohibition which has made drugs of all kinds so readily available in their schools, so it is little wonder that so many of them lose all respect for authority.

News Hawk: PFlynn - 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Prince George Citizen (CN BC)
Copyright: 2008 Prince George Citizen

Back
Top Bottom