DEA Approves PTSD Marijuana Study

Robert Celt

The Drug Enforcement Agency has given its blessing to a study on the effect of medical marijuana on post-traumatic stress disorder, the first randomized, controlled research in the U.S. for PTSD that will use the actual plant instead of oils or synthesized cannabis.

According to the research's nonprofit sponsor, Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, or MAPS, the DEA's approval gives researchers the go-ahead to buy the marijuana for the study from the National Institute of Drug Abuse.

Once the marijuana has been secured, the group will begin recruiting and enrolling participants, perhaps as early as June, MAPS spokesman Brad Burge said.

"The contract with the state of Colorado was signed on April 20 – an unofficial national holiday in some circles – meaning the funds are en route to MAPS. We are now preparing to place the order for the marijuana for the study," Burge said in an email to Military Times.

Colorado in 2014 awarded a $2 million grant to MAPS for the research and at the same time gave an additional $5.6 million to several other organizations to support medical marijuana studies.

The research first received approval in March 2014 from the Health and Human Services Department and was set to get underway at the University of Arizona and other locations within a year. But the program was delayed after the Tucson, Arizona, school terminated the contract of Dr. Sue Sisley, who was then the primary researcher on the program.

Marcel Bonn-Miller with the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine is now overseeing the project, with Sisley running half the study in Arizona and Ryan Vandrey overseeing the other half at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland.

Work also will be conducted at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.

Participants will include 76 veterans who have treatment-resistant PTSD. The study will use marijuana of various strains and potency for comparison purposes.

The use of medical marijuana to treat PTSD remains controversial because while some veterans say the plant eases their symptoms and has allowed them to stop using prescription medications, very little scientific research supports these claims.

Advocates say the research will fill a much-needed gap in medical literature.

"This is a critical step in moving our botanical drug development program forward at the federal level to gather information on the dosing, risks, and benefits of smoked marijuana for PTSD symptoms," said Amy Emerson, director of clinical research for the MAPS Public Benefit Corporation.

PTSDcanna.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: DEA Approves PTSD Marijuana Study
Author: Patricia Kime
Photo Credit: None found

Actually they covered up the writing on the wall, manipulated it to their advantage. It's always about making money. Now that half of America has at least medical marijuana, and the other half is going for it, time for them to be like "oh, this sounds like a good idea" when they were a big part of the main problem in the first place! You have to love how corrupt the people policing us really are... and 80 not saying all dead agents police etc. Are bad. Most are doing great what they believe is right (in said most, not all). BUT more importantly, it's the higher-ups, with the power and connections that are pulling the strings. I bet they are wondering right now that I'd cannabis becomes federally legal and then BAM - how to fill up all the jails now that it's legal? Do not be fooled, the even more corrupt prison system is one of america's top revenue generators...

The DEA sees the writing on the wall - finally.

They may see the writing on the wall but until they at the very "LEAST" remove it from being a schedule 1 drug, in my opinion they are just dragging their feet and following their own personal agenda. Yes they are allowing a few tests but when you consider the majority of Americans want it off schedule 1, this is far from giant steps forward. This is exactly why we must educate people about MJ so the minority who are still holding out wake up and see the writing on the wall, when everyone is in agreement that MJ should not be schedule 1 they will have no choice but to reschedule it. As General Patton would say, now is not the time to hold our ground, the only holding we will do is holding onto the enemies nose while we continuously kick their ass. As activists it is our duty to push the agenda until the enemy realizes their resistance is futile.

And it's worse because first of all, a VERY high up individual (after retiring obviously) admitted that they "all knew that that we were lying, when they made it schedule 1drug".

I think it's worse and beyond the majority of us (fox did a poll in PA and it was 90% for it! 90!!! BUT THE REAL ISSUE SHOULD BE THIS - there is a TON of medical benefits. ONE alone should be enough to remove it from schedule 1. They are worthless hypocritical liars only concerned about money. There are so many benefits - like a hundred or so. IF it was just one, they coukd debate maybe it's not accurate, like the feds say the studies Wrentham in a "controlled environment 5o their standards". So what, THEN REMOVE IT AS SCHEDULE 1 SO YOU CAN RESEARCH IT AS YOU SEE FIT! In essence, they are complaining about their own rules they made. 1 questionable study is one thing, but is good for hell, almost everything! PROBABLY OVER THOUSANDS of doctors would admit this and they are not all wrong. That pisses me off. Have can we put REAL pressure on them???

One way we can can put real pressure on them is to vote, and to educate your fellow countrymen and women. California once passed a law, it was the 3 strikes rule. I say take it further for politics. I call it the one strike rule, you vote in congress or the senate against the best interests of the common people of America, BuhBYE, vote them out. And if they vote multiple bad votes, heck then that is what recalls are for. Trust me when I say in my line of work when someone gets promoted to a post of authority if they screw up they will be walking on eggshells and if they continue to screw up management does not say, well we hired him/her, so we can not replace him for 2 to 4 years, hell no they get rid of them right away and that is how we need to deal with politicians, if they are doing a piss poor job, get them out NOW.

While I agree, most of America is brainwashed into thinking certain ways for totally wrong reasons, or people who don't even care. And large part of America is voting against the person would actually help them more. It's crazy.

Back
Top Bottom