Different strains

patmrtnscks

Can you grow two different strains in the same grow tent? Im growing a Big Bud right now, and have some really good seeds of BlackJack coming my way. My buddy said that he believes your not supposed to grow different strains together. Does it make a difference?

No it doesn't make a difference. The only thing I don't suggest doing is growing different strains with one HYDROPONIC system...as they would all share the same res. and different strains require different levels of nutes...and different flowering times meaning when one is ready to flush the other isn't and you don't want to starve one to flush the other

But if you only have one tent you do know when you flip to 12/12 (if you haven't already) then both strains will go into flowering and not just the big bud? And if you already switched to flowering then your Blackjack will be on 12/12 from seed

I didnt think it would make a difference, but my buddy said it would. My plan was to have them on two separate reservoirs, as Im about to change out the bucket my BB is in right now. It has a separate reservoir thats connected by 1 1/2" tubing. I was also thinking about planting the BJ in some foxfarms soil, then keeping the BB in veg stage until the BJ is ready to flower. Can I have a hydro plant and a soil plant in the same tent? I need patience, which Im severely lacking cuz I cant wait for this BB.

you can have them in the same tent and they wont harm each other.

the issues that may arise, are the ones people have already pointed out... dont have them in the same pot/res, and when you flip to 12/12, all them will flower, not just the one strain.

I thought about that, but I was thinking I could just let the BB plant veg til my BlackJack plants are ready to go into flower stage. Whats the longest a plant can stay in the veg stage?

Whats the longest a plant can stay in the veg stage?

Just this side of forever, lol.

Well... Years. But you might find that the normal preflowers become more and more prevalent if your vegetative period is taken to extremes, that in a few years your plant seems to want to flower at the drop of a hat (example, cutting the lights back a little might have more effect on an aged plant than one that hasn't had a birthday or three yet). It might be slightly more susceptible to stress as it ages, expressed in producing both male and female flowers... and then a few seeds, to preserve itself against the "unusual conditions."

People keep their mother plants (and, in the case of breeders, their males as well) alive for years.

As for your original question, if you're growing multiple strains that have markedly different growth characteristics, you'll most likely want to do at least some minimum training, otherwise you'll be looking at raising your lights to keep one plant from growing into them and the other plant not being tall enough to reach the sweet spot (and then s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g towards the light). But it's generally a good idea to do some training anyway.

Back
Top Bottom