Dirt

growrilla

Ok so here is the deal. In the back of my yard there seems to be a super old compost spot.........its got a sand bottom, basically like a pit, floods with a few ft of water every spring, ne way they tell me thats were they put leaves and grass every year. I dug it up and down under it stinks like the darkest forest soil, its black and close to coffee grounds in texture. Should i bother with it, i mean do a soil test/ my plan is to fill my 5 gal grow bags half way then take em out to woods fill rest of way with wood soil? Good idea or bad? basically my amendments and my compost stuff, then half real world dirt? what do ya think?

Re: dirt??????

Ok so here is the deal. In the back of my yard there seems to be a super old compost spot.........its got a sand bottom, basically like a pit, floods with a few ft of water every spring, ne way they tell me thats were they put leaves and grass every year. I dug it up and down under it stinks like the darkest forest soil, its black and close to coffee grounds in texture. Should i bother with it, i mean do a soil test/ my plan is to fill my 5 gal grow bags half way then take em out to woods fill rest of way with wood soil? Good idea or bad? basically my amendments and my compost stuff, then half real world dirt? what do ya think?

ne ideas good bad? sorry just dont want to waste my last soil test kit?:bong:

Sounds like black gold to me. Do a pH test to make sure it's safe to use. Be sure to amend it with other things such as perlite for good drainage.

BTW, it's "soil" not "dirt" :cheesygrinsmiley: :peace:

Sounds like black gold to me. Do a pH test to make sure it's safe to use. Be sure to amend it with other things such as perlite for good drainage.

BTW, it's "soil" not "dirt" :cheesygrinsmiley: :peace:

Ok doing a soil test here in a bit will post results. I am truely sorry if i insulted the mighty soil by calling it dirt lol:yummy:

I have a spot like like that in my yard, years of leaves and other stuff, covered with a good layer of worm castings under all the old bark and such. Right now have some of it mixed in thirds with hyponex potting soil and (shoot me later,) MG organic soil, with enough perlite to help it drain. Going to transplant into it in five gallon containers after baking this soil mix in a heat source overnight and getting the ph right. Buddy of mine at this very moment is on the way to pick up the containers and a new ph meter. From what I've gleaned over the years, if you get the ph right, many other things fall into place easily.

Ok doing a soil test here in a bit will post results. I am truely sorry if i insulted the mighty soil by calling it dirt lol:yummy:

ph is fine even tested it after mixing my mix 50/50 with a good spot o soil in the woods.:yummy:

Back
Top Bottom