Adjusting alkaline soil

Felix the Dog

Soil around here is largely clay-ish, and alkaline, between 7 and 8. For practical reasons, I can only deliver so much composted manure etc., per plant, and can't fill the entire hole with what I carry in, so I must use the native soil as well at a rate of about 50%. (a) One site tells me: ""Most clay soils are on the alkaline side, meaning that you'll probably want to lower the pH of the soil. The most common substances to add to clay soil are builder's sand, gypsum, composted manure, compost or other coarse organic material."" (b) Other folks suggest that peat moss is the most useful stuff for adding a bit of acid.

Where do you stand on those suggestions?
Secondly, when components such as peat moss are added, do they have to sit for a while - days, weeks, months - before they affect the Ph change, or is the change measurable immediately?
Thanks for any wisdom.

Peat moss does help lower PH but if you want to change it quick, add some sulfur. Most of the home centers sell a product by Epsoma that's an organic "Soil Acidifier" that's used for blueberries and other plants that thrive in low-PH soils:

espoma_organic-soil-acidifer.png

Thanks very much, Mr. Krip. I have found the product online and I expect I can get it at a nearby garden shop.

I also noted you 'drying box' link.
Thanks again.

I had originally posted the question of this thread on an old thread, this morning. FYI, PurpleGunRack posted the following:

""I don't recommend mixing peat moss in real soil, it's actually not beneficial for the microbiology in the soil before it's composted. It's basically just for growing in containers.
When you mix peat moss into real soil it becomes less adaptable to pH fluctuations.

7-8 is fine, mix in some perlite/diatomaceous earth, and whatever amendments you like, and it'll be great for growing weed.
You should worry about the compactness of the clay soil, not the pH ;).""

I have done 4 peaty holes today, so I think that I will adjust them somewhat.

I'd test this soil first before amending it. If you don't know what's in it, then you can't really make an informed decision about changing its structure.

I test numerous sites, all around Ph eight.

I believe @conradino23 is referring to amending the soil and not adjusting PH. PH level is one aspect, but you also want good quality soil that is nutrient and organism rich. So, adding things like compost, peat moss, rock dust, worm castings, perlite, etc. have different ratios of nutrients and/or effect the drainage of the soil. It's a good idea to have your soil tested to see what you're starting with so you know what to add when it comes to those kinds of amendments, especially if you know or suspect you're starting with "bad" soil (i.e. heavy clay, overly sandy, etc.).

Yep, PH alone is a very bad way to estimate the quality of soil. Also cannabis does fine with 7.0, maybe even better than 6.5.

Back
Top Bottom