Approximate pH?

ganjuh

Hi, I am using a mixture of 1 part Black Kow composted cow manure, 1 part perlite, and 1 part peat moss. I know peat is acidic (~4.5 pH) and perlite is neutral. But I have heard that composted cow manure (no fillers or additives) has a very alkaline pH. I have also heard that fresh cow manure is acidic. I don't know what to believe! I emailed the company but have no response yet.. Does anybody have experience with the pH of composted cow manure? Is this soil mixture adequate, or do I need to buffer, or even lower, the pH?? Thanks!

Re: Approximate pH??

Manure goes from acidic to alkaline over course of 6-12 months. Time depends on the temps, abundance of nitrogen, carbon and oxygen. When it's ready it should be around 6.8-7.0. Nitrogen from manure runs off quickly if you're growing directly in soil, but otherwise it should have NPK of around 4-3-2 (that's how it is in Europe), but you need to check with your manufacturer to get precise data. Make sure it's nice, black and powdery. If it's all right go for it just don't forget about other minerals like calcium, magnesium or iron, which manure has very little of. Peat moss on the other hand is almost void of nutrients, but it contains humic acid and has good water-retaining quality. I'd add some garden soil to this mix, oyster or egg shells, some shredded leaves, worm castings, lava stone or azomite, and some organic compost. That should do it basically if looking for balanced mix, which can be used both for veg and flo.

Happy growing!

Well they emailed me back and said the composted manure was 7.5-8 pH. I'm not worried about NPK, because its very light (.5-.5-.5).
So what would my approximate pH be if i use 1 part composted manure (7.5-8.0 pH), 1 part perite (inert), and 1 part peat moss (~4.5 pH)? I'm guessing around the 6-7 range?

Yes, you should be fine. Still, I'd add some compost or garden soil.

Back
Top Bottom