DIY Culture Jars For Grain Or Liquid Culture

I want to run some liquid cultures and since I already have jars and a pressure cooker, I thought I'd prep the lids myself and save some money. First of all, these jars won't be limited to just liquid cultures. A liquid culture is mycelium grown out into a liquid nutrient medium instead of grain or agar. They are very useful as inoculants because they get started quicker than inoculating with spores and they can be stored in the fridge for long periods, among other uses.
I can also put prepared grain in these reusable jars and grow mycelium out in them too. Easy to make if you are good with tools. I started with four saved Bonne Maman preserves jars that I had saved and I have some Ball Mason jars I'll be modifying later.
I've purchased butyl rubber Self Healing Injection Ports (SHIP) and 20mm Dia 0.25u adhesive PTFE filter discs so I need to cut two 1/4 inch holes in the lids to install the SHIP and filter.
To start, prep the lid by scribing two lines on the underside of the lid, 0.7" in from the outer edge, and on opposite sides of each other. Use a center punch to make two drill guiding dimples. Next I'll drill 1/4" holes with a pilot point drill bit. Pilot point drills work very well and give a nice clean cut with sheet metal if you keep the drill speed low and light. Use a deburring tool as needed to clean up the holes so they have smooth edges.

LidPrep.jpg

Scribe and center punch the lid to guide the drill bit.
PilotPoint_QtrInBit.jpg

A pilot point drill.
ClampitGood.jpg

Clamp the lid down for drilling. The wood backing helps drill a better hole so I move it every time so there's wood under the drill spot.
DrillTheHoles.jpg
DeBurrHoles.jpg

Carefully drill the holes (slowly with light touch!) and deburr by hand as needed.
Install_Filter&SHIP.jpg

Wipe the lid clean with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and press the SHIP firmly into one hole making sure it is fully seated, then apply the filter disc to the other, taking care to center it. You can use 3M Micropore Tape #1530 in place of the filter disc but they don't last as long as the PTFE filters.
20230926_145721.jpg
4MycoJars.jpg

Easy peasy. Four jars ready to fill and autoclave.

Back
Top Bottom