DIY Dual Controller: Timer & Thermostat

LightMedic

420 Member
Ever say to yourself, "I wish my fan would come on with a timer AND a thermostat?

I've had the idea of making this device for a long time, but never got around to it. I recently put it together and I am happy with my little project.

Custom made Dual Controller for exhaust fan.

So I have 2 reasons for wanting my exhaust fan to turn on.
1) Refresh old air with fresh new air (time)
2) Cool down Hot room (temp)

Instead of buying an expensive-multi controller.
I bought a repeat cycle timer (top) for 16$ and a temperature controlling thermostat for 22$ below. They are both wired from the same power input and feed the same output. So my fan turns on via timer
20191214_070149.jpg
AND also turns on if my room gets too hot.

WARNING!!!!

If you try to make this ENSURE you know your wiring is good. If you cross one connection, you will cause a short.

If wired correctly, both timer and thermostat can turn on at the same time without a short. If you cross a white and black once anywhere, you are making a short circuit time bomb.

Works great!!!!!

That doesn't look safe at all LMAO. Why no relays? Why no fuses?

There are so many better and safer ways to accomplish cooling a grow.

Surely that is just his test bed. I've done that many times when putting a project together. Once it proves itself, it gets wrapped up in a nice, neat package. This way, viewers can see exactly how it was done. I'd probably do a follow up once I had the project in an enclosure so one could see the final product.
I built three 32 light controllers. You should see what my project testbed looked like. It was confusing to say the least. I wish I had taken a photo of it. You'd have laughed you arse off. Once it proved operation and durability, it got put into a box.
I look forward to seeing his finished product!

20191026_144143.jpg

Attachments

• 20191029_114150.jpg
    20191029_114150.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 125
Sure except you can't run one load with two separate inputs without a relay unless they are run in series which doesn't provide him what he thinks he's accomplishing. It won't run unless both the timer and tstat are closed. So it only provides cooling on a timed cycle and only if the thermostat is closed when the timer is.

Sure except you can't run one load with two separate inputs without a relay unless they are run in series which doesn't provide him what he thinks he's accomplishing. It won't run unless both the timer and tstat are closed. So it only provides cooling on a timed cycle and only if the thermostat is closed when the timer is.

He wired it correctly. Basically he has two switches. If either or both closes, the fan comes on. I'm really hoping it's not the final product.

Back
Top Bottom