DIY Intake Filter

PPT73

420 Member
Hey folks, hope everyone's grows are going well! I decided to post my DIY intake filter because I think it's awesome, and it can save you a lot of money. While I was in the market for an intake filter, I realized how outrageously expensive they all are. So, I decided to make my own for $28. Please note that this is intended for an active intake.

First, I bought an 8" x 8" to 6" square to round register from Home Depot for $12:

Then I bought an 8" x 8" furnace filter and put it inside the register, $16:

I didn't do this part, but you can add a return grill from Amazon for $10 to make it pretty:

And there it is. With the grill it would be $38 total. That is way cheaper than any ready made intake filter. You may find one like the can filter for that price, but the shipping will make it around $70 minimum. Plus, the can filter intake filter is only MERV 4 filtration. With this DIY filter you can choose your own degree of filtration. If you want to make it even cheaper, instead of buying the 8" x 8" HEPA filter for $15, you can buy any size cheaper furnace filter and just cut it to size.

Hope this helps someone!!!

The reason why shipping on can(-style) carbon filters is so high is that they contain anywhere from several to many pounds of carbon media. I do not see how it's possible for those furnace-style filters to contain that much (if any... I did a quick search of the item's page for the word "carbon," and couldn't find a mention).

Those things look like they'd be okay as furnace filters, at least the ones that are of a decent size (20+ inches in LxW). In fact, I but ones that are of much the same type when I can afford to. But would I trust one of them, even a large one, to remove all traces of cannabis plant odor when even a small personal grow can often be smelled in other rooms, on other floors, on the porch, the yard, the street... the neighbor's property?

No. I hope they work out well for you. Having had the somewhat exciting experience of getting read the riot act by a (LEO) K9 officer who, being a pretty decent guy, steadfastly ignored my grows until one day he decided that to do so any longer would make it quite obvious that he was ignoring it, lol ("You've GOT TO do something about the smell!") - and, another time, in another location, having come home one evening to discover half my neighbors gathered around my front porch and, when I asked what was going on, one of them replied, "We've finally cornered that skunk that's been hanging around the neighborhood - it must be under your porch!" - has pretty much driven home the fact that the odor of healthy cannabis plants in full flower is not to be taken lightly.

One of those grows was using several high-wattage HIDs, but the other only had a single 400-watt HPS (430-watt, actually).

I don't think I'll ever grow indoors again without at least a generic-class carbon filter. But if I want to set up something to keep hair, dust, and the like out of my grow, I might go with one of those furnace filters ;) .

A suggestion: You now have a box of sorts. Open it and pour in twelve or fifteen pounds of activated charcoal, tightly packed, and close it back up.

I originally read this as for use on an air intake for your tent, not an odor filter. I'd be interested in using it to keep dust and stuff from being sucked INTO the tent... Perhaps I just read what I wanted to read? lol...

I originally read this as for use on an air intake for your tent, not an odor filter. I'd be interested in using it to keep dust and stuff from being sucked INTO the tent... Perhaps I just read what I wanted to read? lol...

That was my impression as well. Not for odor removal, for dust. Looks good.

Right guys, it is not for odor. It is an INTAKE filter for dust, and most importantly, pests and mold.

No, you read it correctly. It is an intake filter, for mold, dust, and pests. I don't know why that second poster assumed it was for odor. It says in the thread title, "INTAKE FILTER". Why would an intake filter be for odor? I guess he's confused.

The reason why shipping on can(-style) carbon filters is so high is that they contain anywhere from several to many pounds of carbon media. I do not see how it's possible for those furnace-style filters to contain that much (if any... I did a quick search of the item's page for the word "carbon," and couldn't find a mention).

Those things look like they'd be okay as furnace filters, at least the ones that are of a decent size (20+ inches in LxW). In fact, I but ones that are of much the same type when I can afford to. But would I trust one of them, even a large one, to remove all traces of cannabis plant odor when even a small personal grow can often be smelled in other rooms, on other floors, on the porch, the yard, the street... the neighbor's property?

No. I hope they work out well for you. Having had the somewhat exciting experience of getting read the riot act by a (LEO) K9 officer who, being a pretty decent guy, steadfastly ignored my grows until one day he decided that to do so any longer would make it quite obvious that he was ignoring it, lol ("You've GOT TO do something about the smell!") - and, another time, in another location, having come home one evening to discover half my neighbors gathered around my front porch and, when I asked what was going on, one of them replied, "We've finally cornered that skunk that's been hanging around the neighborhood - it must be under your porch!" - has pretty much driven home the fact that the odor of healthy cannabis plants in full flower is not to be taken lightly.

One of those grows was using several high-wattage HIDs, but the other only had a single 400-watt HPS (430-watt, actually).

I don't think I'll ever grow indoors again without at least a generic-class carbon filter. But if I want to set up something to keep hair, dust, and the like out of my grow, I might go with one of those furnace filters ;) .

A suggestion: You now have a box of sorts. Open it and pour in twelve or fifteen pounds of activated charcoal, tightly packed, and close it back up.
Hey man, you have it confused. If you read the title of the thread, it's an INTAKE filter. It prevents pests, mold, and dust from entering the grow area. It is not for odor. Why would anyone use an intake filter for odor?

Right guys, it is not for odor. It is an INTAKE filter for dust, and most importantly, pests and mold.

Oh, how embarrassing; I seem to have forgotten how to read :eek:.

PPT73, my apologies. Time to ask Santa Claus for new eyeglasses, I guess. I don't know how I missed the word "intake," especially since it was right there in the title.

I used window screen aswell, two layers cross hatched, I clear off loads of dust even with vacuuming every few days, damn cats and dogs.

Hey folks, hope everyone's grows are going well! I decided to post my DIY intake filter because I think it's awesome, and it can save you a lot of money. While I was in the market for an intake filter, I realized how outrageously expensive they all are. So, I decided to make my own for $28. Please note that this is intended for an active intake.

First, I bought an 8" x 8" to 6" square to round register from Home Depot for $12:

master-flow-register-boxes-crb8x8x6-64_1000.jpg

Then I bought an 8" x 8" furnace filter and put it inside the register, $16:

groupfinalmerv8.png

I didn't do this part, but you can add a return grill from Amazon for $10 to make it pretty:

81e5Ja3Yu7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And there it is. With the grill it would be $38 total. That is way cheaper than any ready made intake filter. You may find one like the can filter for that price, but the shipping will make it around $70 minimum. Plus, the can filter intake filter is only MERV 4 filtration. With this DIY filter you can choose your own degree of filtration. If you want to make it even cheaper, instead of buying the 8" x 8" HEPA filter for $15, you can buy any size cheaper furnace filter and just cut it to size.

Hope this helps someone!!!
I know oldie....
But I’ve been looking for a intake filter for my tent, and didn’t want to pay $90 for the ‘schroom filter, and this will work!!!
My only addition is I’ll paint it black to match my tent, since it will be on the outside of the tent.
Yep. Helped someone
ME!!!
Thanks!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom