Do I need to feed(nutes) my outdoor plants after mixing initial nutes into soil?

Sweetgreen

I'm a noob and I'm reading and learning as much as I can, but I'm still a little confused on soil and nutes.

I've found quite a few soil recipes(organic) online that call for bat guano, bone/blood meal, worm castings etc... to be added to regular top/potting soil. Now my question is, are these nutes supposed to last the entire grow? Or do I need to add more nutes eventually? Also how do I do that? Will I just mix nutes with water and then water the plants? Those same nutes I mixed with the soil, I don't think they mix well with water do they? So will I have to have different types of nutes to add to water?

Basically I'm looking for the general overview of how nutes are added to soil, initially and subsequently.

Thank you

The greatest advantage of organic gardening is that everything can be mixed in the soil and given nothing but water. Whether or not the soil nutrients will last throughout the grow depends on the size of the plant relative to the size of the container. If your soil recipe is similar to Vic's or Subcool's super soil then expect the plants not to need anything extra as long as you aren't trying to grow a 4ft plant in a 1 gallon pot.

IF you see a clear need for more of any particular nutrient I'd suggest going with an organic product like Earth Juice or Humboldt Nutrients organic line. It's much less hassle than trying to make those stinky teas yourself. You don't have to feed your plants with more of what's already in the soil. These products generally have nutrient sources like rock phosphate, fish emulsion, and bat guano that will be available to your plants much sooner than the slow-to-breakdown amendments mixed into the soil initially.

A good soil recipe covers all of our plant's nutritional needs and will, just like nature, take them from seed/clone to harvest without anything extra.

Back
Top Bottom