Does Music Help?

I remember a study from years ago. Plants (not nessesarily pot) that "listened" to classical music grew better than those exposed to rock & roll.

I've read various studies and posts on this subject over the year.
People stating music helps plants.
They claimed it helped, but the kind of music they claimed helped varied.
One person said classical music was best, another said AC/DC gave them the best growth. One person said he sang Irish lullabye's to his plants and they grew fast & bushy.
Bottom line: plants don't have ears, and if they did they don't have brains to process sounds.

the myth where music helps your plants could be true or false but if you talk to to them regularly thatl help because of the co2:bong:

has anyone ever watched myth-busters on the discovery channel they proved this myth music really does help plants grow and so does talking to them and yeah i find it hard to believe but they proved it but that does not mean i am going to go talk to my plants lol not that desprite for bud

MR.BLUNTZ420 said:
How Bout Magnetism?
I did a science project about that in school years ago, but I forgot what the results were. All I did was put small magnets just underneath the soil all around the plant. It definitely didn't hurt them, that much I can tell you.

Doing a quick google search on plants and magnetism proved to be very interesting.
Exposure of seeds to magnetic field for a short time helps in accelerated sprouting and growth of the seedlings. Such plants also show deeper roots as well as more vigorous growth compared to those which have grown out of the untreated & seeds. Recently, it has been found that when the irrigation water is magnetised, the plants grow more rapidly as well as give higher yield compared to those which have been irrigated with ordinary water. Some of the scientists have found that when the irrigation water is magnetised with north pole the plants grow tall and slender while those irrigated with south pole grow shorter and thick. Also, bananas irrigated with south. pole treated irrigation water were found to develop larger and sweeter in taste. Based on these results, the Russian farmers produced tomatoes and brinjals of the enormous size like those of musk-melon which even the advanced agricultural techniques. have not been able to produce so far. It was also found that the plants irrigated with magnetised water grew 20 to 40 per cent faster than those irrigated wit untreated water.

Have any of the growers here ever experimented with magnetism? It sounds like it would be a worthwhile venture, possibly with big rewards.

Blob said:
Doing a quick google search on plants and magnetism proved to be very interesting.

Have any of the growers here ever experimented with magnetism? It sounds like it would be a worthwhile venture, possibly with big rewards.

sounds experiment worthy :allgood:

Recent studies have proven music helps plant and vegetable growth, peas react especially well to rock apparently.

idgafwhoyour said:
has anyone ever watched myth-busters on the discovery channel they proved this myth music really does help plants grow and so does talking to them and yeah i find it hard to believe but they proved it but that does not mean i am going to go talk to my plants lol not that desprite for bud
WE all know jaime is a stoner. hes just tooo chill

Talking/singing to plants help due to the extra CO2 produced.
Also, people who talk/sing to their plants usually take better care of them vs. someone who just waters/feeds them.
But music (unless you call the sounds birds make music) didn't exist until modern man came along, therefore plants didn't evolve "listening" to music.
They have no ears/hearing organs or brain to process sound.

Since the 1960's but undoubtably further back than that I've read "studies" that claim certain plants like certain types of music, but these results have never been duplicated independantly. I remember that a guy once claimed that his plants grew better when he sand them Irish lullabye's than they did when his g/f sang them English lullabye's.
I've also read that plants can "recognize" individuals, something else I don't believe.

Hearing/processing sound wouldn't help a plant since a plant cannot move or otherwise respond to sound.

RangerDanger said:
Talking/singing to plants help due to the extra CO2 produced.
Also, people who talk/sing to their plants usually take better care of them vs. someone who just waters/feeds them.
But music (unless you call the sounds birds make music) didn't exist until modern man came along, therefore plants didn't evolve "listening" to music.
They have no ears/hearing organs or brain to process sound.

Since the 1960's but undoubtably further back than that I've read "studies" that claim certain plants like certain types of music, but these results have never been duplicated independantly. I remember that a guy once claimed that his plants grew better when he sand them Irish lullabye's than they did when his g/f sang them English lullabye's.
I've also read that plants can "recognize" individuals, something else I don't believe.

Hearing/processing sound wouldn't help a plant since a plant cannot move or otherwise respond to sound.

You can probably find 100's of college student studies of plants reacting to music. Although plants can't hear, and they can't process sounds. They are in fact affected by music. Strangely in almost all of the tests, classical music seems to help the plants the most.

Now, the most likely cause has nothing to do with "listening". Rather, it most likely has to do with audio vibrations. I also believe these studies are only relevant to indoor grows. As I feel the music is just replicating vibrations\effects that the plant feels naturally in the wild.

IshmarRodriguez said:
You can probably find 100's of college student studies of plants reacting to music. Although plants can't hear, and they can't process sounds. They are in fact affected by music. Strangely in almost all of the tests, classical music seems to help the plants the most.

Now, the most likely cause has nothing to do with "listening". Rather, it most likely has to do with audio vibrations. I also believe these studies are only relevant to indoor grows. As I feel the music is just replicating vibrations\effects that the plant feels naturally in the wild.

So hemp plant evolved millions of years ago listening to classical music?
Don't think so.
Species/strains usually develop traits that help them survive. Since there was no music millions of years ago, plants didn't develop any affinity towards music.
Yeah I've seen "studies" too, and I noticed that the kind of music that increased yield was co-incidentally what the person conducting the test liked.
I've seen "studies" that plants did best while every genre of music from gregorian chants to growl rock was being played, depending on who was conducting the study
My grandma was convinced her African violets liked Christian hymns best.

ok, if vibrations effect plants and if crystals give off vibrations what if you put crystals in with your plants? or magnets? i ask half in jest and half just wondering.

if vibrations are good how about tibetan throat singing?

and yes, i am a bit bored right now ;-)

Often in the growing season I'll take my guitar or keyboard out to my weed garden and sit and play and sing, not because I believe the plants can hear me, but because I enjoy it.
Occasionally I have a friend with me, and earlier this year I had 2 fellow growers with me and we had quite an enjoyable impromptu jam session; a guitar, keyboard and banjo, out in the garden of gently swaying marijuana.
Again, not for the plants benefit but ours (and a few stray lizards).

Often in the growing season I'll take my guitar or keyboard out to my weed garden and sit and play and sing, not because I believe the plants can hear me, but because I enjoy it.
makes perfect sense to me. i have a very comfortable chair in the hobby room and i just listen to music and look at the babies. its comforting somehow. hadn't thought to take my guitar down. i'll do that. thanks. this might be my favorite grow tip.

Back
Top Bottom