Dry Ice for co2?

kaotiksplashman

Hey guys. How does everybody feel about using dry ice for it's co2 purposes? I've read up that it can add as much as 1300 ppm of co2 for 24 hours? Any truth to this?

:theband:Smoke on!:theband:

Well i gotta check ph every 24 hours and ppm every day so it would only be one more chore. Any other suggestions? Definately don't want to over do it

can you over do it on the dry ice?
i think it would only do them good to give them huge doses from time to time.... i havent ever done it but am going to now

greetings i am new to this site but was wondering the pros/cons vs dry ice co2 method and the sugar/yeast method .... from what i have been reading today i am trying out the sugar/yeast method but have used the dry ice in the past ( didn't do a whole lot for me and seemed like a waste of money ) ... anyways I am using a 1gal water jug for 18 plants under 2 1000watt hps set up and was curious if this co2 set up would be sufficient ?

Dude. I am a big fan of CO2. but have never heard anything good bout dry ice. I just got a tank 20lb for 85$ filled. Used a regular store bought timer, not the best idea but works. & i only pay 17$ for the refill. If I would have tightened it right it would have lasted 3 months Had to get a regulator 120$. Im getting a meter next so it will last longer. plants love CO2. U will notice the difference immediately. Go to a welding supply store, ask for used tank. Be prepared to answer what u need it for. Kegs is always good. Good luck

yea i want a "real" co2 system and have checked the prices , its actually pretty cheap except the monitor... for now , I have been using the fish tank method

You can buy whole package on ebay for 350 including the regulator and controller. Just need a tank.

I read somewhere that prices for co2 are like this:

sugay/yeast 60c per day
dry ice 40c
compressed gas 20c a day
lpg 10c a day

I'm just going off the top of my head but the ratios are about right. Going budget on your co2 can end up costing way more in the long run. I am currently running bottled gas. If it requires filling more than 2X per crop I'm going back to LPG.

I had a formula somewhere that would tell your how much CO2 you needed for a given PPM over a given time at a given ambient air temp. I'll see if I can dig it up again.
Also had how much fermentation stock, or propane, and how much heat the propane would generate during said time... Somewhere.

So..

Let's say a 4'x4'x7' 100% sealed-room with SEALED 3x1000 vented hood lights.
Ambient are temps are floating around 80F and 40%RH

That's 112 cubic feet of air.

You're on a cyclic timer.. You fill the room full of fresh air and..

The current air you're using is comprised of 0.039% CO2 (it's considered a trace element in air composition) in a completely fresh room.

To raise the PPM of the air to the suggested optimal window (1500 PPMs) we'll need to add 1200 PPMS to the air. To do this we would need ~0.14 cubic feet of CO2.

Just for comparison, if you had a 20lb CO2 tank set to 1CFH, this would take 8 minutes to fill the room to 1500 total PPMs. A 20LB tank at 1CFH would last for ~10,500 minutes. That's 1,312 fillings.

So let's say your room got up to 85F in 30 minutes or your monster plants are very hungry and completely empty that room.. So you're expelling the room, and refreshing it every 30 minutes. That's 48 times per day you'll fill the room.

That's 27 days, you can sustain the optimal CO2 that with a big 20lb (that's the about biggest size for homebrew sold) bottle would contain.

I can't find the fermentation formulas to give the volume needed for this, but when I ran these same numbers in it, it was close to 40 or 50 gallons of fermentation liquid, with pounds of sugar. I remember this specifically because I would have needed a large garbage can to do it in.

So in short.. I'm not saying this effort is completely worthless. If you have a micro-cab it could likely be a real benefit. I'm considering piping two liters of fluid of these into my 6" dome tray for clones, to see if they root quicker.

It's only 0.0012 cubic feet for a 1x1x1 area, and I'm pretty under that for my cloning tub. :)

I've got the numbers for propane generation too, but that's a whole new beast with heat.

Just for comparison, if you had a 20lb CO2 tank set to 1CFH, this would take 8 minutes to fill the room to 1500 total PPMs. A 20LB tank at 1CFH would last for ~10,500 minutes. That's 1,312 fillings.

So let's say your room got up to 85F in 30 minutes or your monster plants are very hungry and completely empty that room.. So you're expelling the room, and refreshing it every 30 minutes. That's 48 times per day you'll fill the room.

That's 27 days, you can sustain the optimal CO2 that with a big 20lb (that's the about biggest size for homebrew sold) bottle would contain.

You only need to run the CO2 supplementation 12 hours a day while in flower.

Also note... too much CO2 is toxic to animals. :)

While this is common-sense, and in the average garden levels tend to max at far less than toxic levels...

It does need to be stated from time to time. I know someone who once fell asleep in his grow room, and have read about the odd problem causing a full CO2 tank to become an empty one in short order. Could be a problem in a well-sealed grow.

Off-topic, but if anyone plays around with homemade ozone generators, their output tends to be way higher than consumer-level generators and O3 is also fatal in high concentrations.

And in both cases, the term "high" is relative.

Hey guys. How does everybody feel about using dry ice for it's co2 purposes? I've read up that it can add as much as 1300 ppm of co2 for 24 hours? Any truth to this?

:theband:Smoke on!:theband:

Don't use dry ice in grow rooms. It is very short lived and messy to deal with. Too much hassle for its worth . Also in the long run it gets pricey.

Check out CO2cultivator.com. They have a decent product that generates CO2 for about 4 (up to 6) months. They are bags of fungus I beleive and you just hang them around your garden and forget about them. One bag will make 6 plants happy. I use 3 bags at the moment and the plants seem to love it. I also run a sealed room as well. I am in my 2nd grow with them and I cant complain.

No fire. No electricity. No Ice. No mess.= more time to enjoy the fruits of your labor!:rollit:

CGS

Back
Top Bottom