DWC, month old seedlings, no root growth, much sadness

GrumpyGrower

I have 5 plants, diff stains, in 2 gal dwc tubs. I have read every post i can find on root health 2 or 3 times, cos I delt with root slime a few months ago.

I discovered DM root zone back then and found it cured my root slime problem very fast and very thoroughly.

Months later, I have been successfully cloning and growing in my DWC tubs with the dutch master gold line of nutes. I use a light application of DM Zone continuously cos without it the root slime takes over quickly. I found that with the DM Zone, my roots become thick and cord-like, and stay pristine white. I received a bottle of H&G roots excelurator in the mail. My google research suggested this product was hormone based, not microbial, so I decided to try it with the DM Zone. I had 5 seeds from greenhouse that just showed their first roots so I was excited to get them beefed up and on their way.

The result was not only did DM Zone appear to cancel the effects of the excelurator, the combo actually had the effect of killing and stunting my roots. After a week or so I stopped using the roots exc and for a couple days I saw nice root growth...until the root tips grew into the water and started collecting slime. I caught this right away and immediately upped the amount of zone to twice the recommended dosage. I also spray off what little roots are hanging every day with h202. The root slime goes away for a day, then comes back, then goes away... meanwhile the roots are not growing at all. These plants are about 6 weeks now, with only a few roots coming out of the net pots (dollar store plastic cups with lots of holes), inside the pots, the roots are growing and circling around, but they just dont seem to want to grow out and into the water. Meanwhile the canopy on top looks very healthy and is growing, although very slowly. The way they are growing, they appear as if they are root bound.

So now my problem is, DM Zone is not killing off the slime this time, and neither are the traditional treatments, (h202, cold res temps, lots of bubbles, light proof, ect), and no matter how healthy my plants look, the roots avoid growing into the water, and stunt when they do.

I have a bottle of psyhan 20 on the way. Any other advice from experienced DWC growers is appreciated.

The answer seems to be kind of simple actually. Displace the bad microbes with good ones. This brown slime algae is simply one organism. Granted it is a super hearty one, it can withstand h2o2, cold temps, high oxygen, and sterilizing chemicals. But being just one organism, it can't compete if you add an army of beneficial microbes. This is done by making a simple EWC tea and adding it to the res every three days. Feed the bennies in the tea with molasses, do not add sugar to the res, the slime will eat it and take over.

Back
Top Bottom