Earthworm casting question

I'mOne

Here goes

I had trouble getting my compost mixture to heat up. It was mostly horse manure. I had a bright idea of putting it in a barel drilling holes in the sides ro allow drainaqe and putting a aerated four inch sewer pipe in the middle. I then mixed in some soil that the earth worms had been in previously. In other words castings. This was three months ago.
The soil in the barrel looks like earth worm castings and is pretty well broken down. I saw one red wiggler in it.

For the purpose of my soil recipe, would this be considered EWC or compost?

Im trying to recyle last years soil. It has been sitting outside in tub with drain holes for a year. It was coimbo of ocean forest, happy frog peat and perlite in equal portions. I have added some peat and some of the compost but am not sure what proportions i sbould use.

I also have numerous other amendments to add.

Its both.. Vermi-compost is what you can call it. As long as the worms did their thing you are fine using it like that in your soil mix as either your EWC and/or your compost. It will seve the same purpose.

If you want the manure to heat up you need to add in some fuel like straw/hay or grass clippings etc. Reason for no heat was it likely already went thru that process.

Back
Top Bottom